High mileage 06 unlimited - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 11-11-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
amytom
2006 TJ Wrangler 

High mileage 06 unlimited

I have an 06 unlimited with 282,000 on it. Got a few issues I need to work through. Even with all these issues she still fires up every time and gets me where I'm going at 80mph for 14-15 MPG.
1) engine not as responsive as it used to be.
A) codes for o2 sensors- both upstream sensors show catalyst warnings and all four flag for slow response. Hopefully changing the two upstream will fix the heater circuit issue. Anyone else see this?
B) with the o2 sensors being flagged for so long is it likely the cats are now gummed up? Is there a test for this?
C) rear main seal started leaking again; seems to happen about every 100k miles. Sound right?
D) valve train noise; reworked the head about 100k back but it's tapping again; just live with it?
E) engine mounts appear to be tilted. I'll try to attach picture. Had a front end wreck some time ago, could this be something the shop missed during the repair?

2) rear end.
A) rear springs sagging - going to order some rubicon springs to replace them.
B) when I load the rear down it feels like bad wheel bearings but when I check them with the wheels up they feel fine. Should I tear into it and replace the bearings anyway?

3) transmission
A) third gear pops out half the time if I don't hold it in
B) sounds like bearing near the front end is worn and noisy

Anyone have a good 6speed tranny laying around? Any chance of rebuilding myself?

4) front end something's loose when I hit a bump especially on the front right wheel. Tire wear is even and steering is still tight. Was thinking of replacing the ends and bushings on the sway bar first. Any other thoughts?

Can anyone lend any advice? I need to get another 200k miles out of this Jeep to keep the admiral from giving me a hard time and I have to do it without needlessly wasting any money.

Thanks and happy Veterans Day

Tom (ex squid)

Tags
high mileage , transmission , unlimited , wheel bearings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in