Help please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2021, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Izzy83

Help please

I own and usually drive a 96 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L 4x4. I haven't been able to drive her in going on 4 months now and I'm going through withdrawal. I have to look at her sitting in the driveway not knowing what I need to do to fix her. Anyway... This is what happened....

My water pump went out almost 4months ago on my 30min drive home from work ( I work graveyard so I'm headed home about 5am). My husband took his sweet time replacing it. While in the process he effed up and put the top bolts (which are longer than the actual bottom bolts because the bottom bold go all the way through the timing cover into the bottom of the water pump. Outcome = timing gear gets snapped in half. Soooo.... I get a timing kit and gasket kit and he proceeded (about a week and a half later) to replace the timing gears and chain. It was time for a new chain anyway to be honest. 235,000 miles on her... Well, not thinking he turned the crankshaft before installing the timing gears and chain. Which in turn threw the timing 180 out. Took him a month to fix that problem. When we went to start it I got nada. She cranks but wont start. Sounds like she's only sucking air. 😭😭😭. He did a compression test today finally and found it I have 0 compression in the #1 cylinder. How the hell this happened I have no idea. This all started with my husband not paying attention and putting torque on the wrong bolts. She fired up just fine before the water pump got changed out. WTH can I do to get my baby back on the road? Please help!!! I need my beast!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2021, 04:49 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
Outcome = timing gear gets snapped in half.
Sounds like you bent a valve. Remove the valve cover and have a look. If so you need to pull the head and replace the valve.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-29-2021, 09:51 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I suggest this replacement part...........
Attached Thumbnails
vin-diesel-luke-evans-fast-furious-6-los-angeles-premiere-05.jpg  

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in