Fuel Injector Help!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-10-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
alamoreaux

Fuel Injector Help!!!

Hello everyone.

I'm new to JeepForum so thanks in advance for your help. I have a 1996 Cherokee 4WD L6 and I think my engine is running a little rich. It used to show the check engine light with a code for fuel air ratio problem. That has since magically disappeared, but my engine still idles rough on starting (really shakes the car while the engine is "warming up"). It also idles jumpy at a stop light once in a while, until it's running for a while and then I'm good.

The previous owner installed new fuel injectors, and looking at them they are re manufactured with a Ford label on them. I've read that fuel injectors could leak and just generally fail when they're re manufactured. It really depends on where you buy them I guess.

I'm looking to change them and was looking for recommendations for a good brand. I like 1A Auto but their injectors had bad reviews. All the cheap sets of 6 I found had terrible reviews. The only set I found with decent reviews are these Bosche remanufactured injectors I found for 70$ on Ebay. I'm wondering whether it would be worth it to just buy the full price ones from Advance or something.

Is there anything else I could do to stop this rough idle? Clean spark plugs, etc.? Should I worry about "engine knock" (something my buddy mentioned to me, if my engine is running rich).

Any tips for which injectors I should buy, installation tips, and general recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from Ashley and Arthur XJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Jo3Gee
1936 CJ2A 

Fuel Injector Help!!!

Injectors could be bad or incorrect for your application, but they are expensive so Iíd check some other areas first. Make sure you have a good vacuum and good fuel pressure. You can borrow both testers from autozone or advance. Also check your plugs, if they are bad, or one worse than others, that would also be a good clue. Also, you can get the injectors tested to help determine if they actually need replaced.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-10-2019, 10:49 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ideally we would plug in a scanner - look at live data and quickly easily get the big picture...

You could look at codes - do as suggested above "read" spark plug condition.
Rough idle we always look at IAC, google 'jeep IAC cleaning' should be a tutorial.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Tags
fuel , fuel injector , fuel injectors , injectors , rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in