Front diff rebuild - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
XSRtiliry

Front diff rebuild

Hey y’all. Got a whiny noise from front diff. I will be looking into replacing all bearings. Along with Ujoints on output shafts to the wheel hubs. The diffs are Dana 8.25 (only have rear locker) they came off a 99 liberty and are on my 95 XJ now. All the work was done by the previous owner. ( he knew what he was doing) I have looked into a few things on the whole process but would prefer some input from y’all. Any hint tips videos to follow would be awesome. I will get my ***** together and get pics and more info posted. I figured I throw this out here.

Cheers!~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 06:36 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
ball joints while its apart perhaps. Though replacing the bearings tends to be more work then it appears.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
XSRtiliry

Yeah. I will be doing them as well. Along with new brake pads and rotors. Any tricks for the U joints on the drive shafts? I did the ones coming from the transfer case (main shafts) both front and rear. Same process for the the axle u joints??

post #4 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 04:05 PM
CJeep82

1982 CJ5 

Garage
If you end up with any specific questions I can try and offer some advice. I just finished rebuilding my Dana 30 with all new carrier and pinion bearings, seals and a ring/pinion swap and setup. All in all it wasn't too bad but you will need some specific tools. The biggest hurdle is the carrier and pinion bearings. You pretty much need a shop press to do the job correctly. I would not recommend hammering them on.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 06:34 PM
CJeep82

1982 CJ5 

Garage
Also, those are probably not from a Liberty. The Liberty used IFS. Do you have a picture of the axles? What makes you think they are swapped? I'm pretty sure that the Chrysler 8.25 was a factory axle in 1995.

You fix the Jeep, the Jeep fixes you.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-07-2019, 02:20 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

It's a Chrysler 8.25, not Dana.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
XSRtiliry

Just got the bearing kit in the mail. The front diff is a Dana 30. The rear is a 8.25. The 95 came with drum breaks OEM, mine had been converted to disk breaks. From what might be a 99 liberty axle. Or a 99 Cherokee!?? If that makes any sense. I am stuck as for what rotors I will need.
As for the front diff I will start this week. Do I need to disassemble the drive shafts? Ball joints? Hub? To romove them from the diff? Are there C clips in the front diff?? Lol (rookie questions)
post #8 of 10 Old 07-23-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
XSRtiliry

All my questions have been answered. Just had to put in the time and figure things out as I go. Putting the diff back together today. Hope things turn out good.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-06-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
XSRtiliry

Hey there. I have completed the job of putting new bearings in. After a few try’s that is. I seem to be stuck with pinion pre load. The rebuild kit I got only came with cup shims for the inner pinion bearing. It also came with ones to use on the outer, but I did not get any to adjust pinion preload. ( I kept and used the old ones) but it seems it just not enough space. I loaded the nut to 200ft/lbs and noticed the bearing load was high and a lot of heat generated after driving for a bit. ( hot as in fresh brew coffe). I have adjusted inner shims to get max .010 backlash on the gears. But can’t go much more if at all. The carrier is set as for shims and I do not want to redo them. Is there a place that sells just the pinion preload shims? Or??? They no longer use crush bearings. (Dana30).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-09-2019, 05:48 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://ratechmfg.com/

Great guys

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in