Exhaust - Best choice for V8 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-24-2021, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Lerxst
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust - Best choice for V8

What is the best choice for an exhaust after having done a V8 swap on an older YJ (355 CID fuel inj in my case)?
Single or Dual exhaust (i.e. single muffler w/2 into one and one outlet) or True dual exhaust (i.e. 2 mufflers)?
What size should inlet/ outlet be? (everyone says 3" in/ 3" out. True?)
Best choice in mufflers? Flowmaster? Magnaflow? I realize this maybe a personal preference.

Any help/ opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-24-2021, 04:37 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I fabbed the front half on my own as single pipe ending in 2.5" into the cat. I picked a 2.5" in and out cat, and added a Magnaflow YJ 'catback' 2.5" kit from Summit. It took some finesse to get it all in, but it's nice. Flowmaster is to loud in my opinion.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-25-2021, 01:18 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

On the same topic, whats a nice quiet muffler for a CJ-5 without a cat converter?

post #4 of 9 Old 09-25-2021, 03:37 AM
kmiller7351
1981 CJ7 

Garage
The guy who will put on my exhaust reccomended flo pro twisters. I am waiting on my order. Fenderwell headers with duel pipes going out back.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2021, 06:08 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
Single or Dual exhaust
You can achieve the same amount of performance from both depending on what diameter pipe you use. Headers with a X pipe then duel i prefer but depends on your preference space and cost.
Quote:
What size should inlet/ outlet be? (everyone says 3" in/ 3" out. True?)
Actually going to large will ruin performance rather than increase it. The length of exhaust also factor in.
Quote:
Best choice in mufflers? Flowmaster? Magnaflow? I realize this maybe a personal preference.
Question is "best" for what? Price, performance, size or sound. Performance wise straight through is best. Chambered you can get good performance with good sound(not to loud) depending on what muffler you choose.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-26-2021, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Lerxst
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your response. So It looks like I may do the following.

True dual exhaust (i.e. 2 mufflers) with 2 1/2" in and 2 1/2" out.

My primary goal for muffler selection is Sound. Right now I have a Flowmaster 40 but I'm not happy with it. This could be possibly be because the guy who did the work was a less than capable mechanic (and I use that term lightly). He did not have the ability to bend pipe so he took the path of least resistance. Today I have shorty headers that dump into a collector (i.e 2 inlets) than exit one outlet. That goes to the single inlet on the Flowmaster and exits one outlet on the same muffler.

Like the idea of a chambered mufflers, but whose mufflers are chambered? Flowmaster?, Borla?, Magnaflow?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-2021, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Lerxst
1988 YJ Wrangler 

pics

M[ATTACH]flowmst40.jpg[/ATTACH] set up
Attached Thumbnails
Cat collector.jpg  
post #8 of 9 Old 09-27-2021, 11:12 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Your biggest issue there is likely drone and resonance in the Jeep? You probably just need a tailpipe that exits the vehicle pointing out to the side behind the rear tire. this will take care of the drone inside the jeep and also take care of any fumes. What is currently there actually looks good, quality welds, and a band clamp so you can easily remove the front pipe section if you need to do any work to the motor, i.e. drop the oil pan. A 40 series flowmaster is a loud muffler, I am a bigger fan of the 50 or 60 series flowmasters, but they can get big and you have limited room under a YJ.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2021, 11:24 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Personally I like the Flowmaster 40 series. A little loud, but they sound great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in