Engine, steam clean, anyone ever used this? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
hdrocknroll

1995 ZJ 

Engine, steam clean, anyone ever used this?

I have one of these, (McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner) used for housecleaning, it shoots out a pretty good pressure of steam and gets pretty hot. I think it would probably do a pretty good job on the gunk on my engine. Once I get my valve cover gasket replaced . I need to get all of the gunk cleaned off that is covering 60% of the engine block.
Has anyone used one of these or one like it, if so how did it work out?

Attached Thumbnails
Steem Cleaner.jpg  

Always !! Keep A Firm Grip On Your Tool !!

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 AM
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Never seen one. What I do is get a can or two of gunk foaming engine cleaner, run the motor and let it get up to temp, spray the cleaner on the engine and let it sit for 10 mins then hit it with a high pressure car wash. Works realy good.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

^x2 The steam cleaner will not get off built up engine crud. We have one and I tried it once. The degreaser works better and easier.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 AM
mybuick

Garage
don't use steam!!!!! the steam will get into all electrical connectors and corrode them. just use gunk and a garden hose.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 AM
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I've used Castrol SuperClean before with great results. I made a carb cover from the bottom of a MT Dew bottle. Cut it right at the first change in diameter then drill a hole in the bottom to put the air cleaner stud up through. Put it on and tighten the air cleaner nut. I then spray the engine down with Superclean and let it sit a few. Then spray off. I like using a coin op car wash with the high pressure wand for the first couple of trips. They catch all the run off oil and they have pressure.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Flinticus

partial steam clean may be ok

I think a combo of everyones meathods would work best, but wouldn't be very cost effective. Steam is ok, but only on parts of the engine away from anything electrical. I have done my fair share of engine cleaning and find that a good degreaser and a quality pressure sprayer do the job quite well no matter how dirty it is. I always leave the engine running before and after the process to burn off excess moisture. (if you leave your car running, be sure to avoid hitting the exhaust manifold etc....)
post #7 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I picked this 304 up yesterday for $225 and gave it the Castrol SuperClean treatment. Its very clean now.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
hdrocknroll

1995 ZJ 

Well, I figured that after I soaked it down with degreaser, the steam would help melt the grease and gunk away Even better.
I also thought with this thing. I would be able to direct steam accurately and not mess up any electrical. Because jeeps seem to be so sensitive!
Most of what I need to clean is around that head and down the sides of the block and down on the bottom of the engine and oil pan ,where the valve cover had been leaking and there's a build up of gunk.
The good thing is I went and picked up a felpro gasket and replaced the old valve cover gasket today, so that should put an end to the leaking.

In the Buick factory whenever we had to clean up an engine for whatever reason we stuck it in a booth and cleaned it with steam.

Oh yeah, I picked up some of this stuff today at advanced auto.
Anybody ever use this. It says it is biodegradable.

Purple Power Industrial Strength Cleaner/Degreaser.
This versatile cleaner and degreaser is effective on a wide variety of surfaces in farm, marine, auto, home and industrial applications. The concentrated formula penetrates grease, oil and dirt on contact. Creates a barrier between the stain and the surface being cleaned.

Product Features:•Industrial strength
•Concentrated formula
•Non-abrasive
•Nonflammable
Attached Images

Quote:

post #9 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 PM
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Purple power and superclean are the essentially the same thing. My thought is, if it is biodegradable, non toxic, or safe to handle, it doesn't work.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
hdrocknroll

1995 ZJ 

Well I tried out the Purple power, it doesn't work as good as gunk degreaser, I have used , so I guess Ill try super clean.
Searched on line and found info ,also that Purple power takes a lot longer to work than castrol super clean.
Should have done that first ,but I was at advance auto, the Purple Power was by the counter, and I just grabbed it. Maybe I can clean the toilet with it.

Quote:

post #11 of 13 Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 PM
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

If you let SuperClean sit for about 10min, the grease will essentially start running off. I have found that on thick stuff, if you can hit it with a putty knife and knock most of it off, it works better.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
neonhomer

1996 ZJ 

I've used Purple Power with good results... you just have to use it straight, and let it sit for a few. Then hit it with high pressure and it does quite a good job...

---------------
NeonHomer
Mid-Florida Jeep Club - Member
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
post #13 of 13 Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Griff1918
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had the local Truck wash to wash the engine bay and under carage. and it was only like $30.

Tags
engine cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in