Engine Mounts - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
achesonj88

Engine Mounts

Hello,

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am trying to put a 4.0L engine out of a early 2000's Jeep Wrangler into the Grand. The bolt holes on the engine out of the Wrangler, don't line up with the engine mounts on the Grand, and the engine brackets off of the Wrangler don't line up with the bolt holes on the frame of the Grand.

My questions are: Is this swap possible without some serious fabrication work? Has anyone done it? And lastly, is there a company that someone may know about that manufactures engine mounts for this kind of thing???

Thank you for any and all input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2020, 07:30 AM
Goatboy4570

1983 CJ7 

Engine swap grand chero

So im guessing the GC had a V8 and your dropping in a 4.0 six, as far as i know the 4.0 was an option on the grand (it was in the late 90's anyway, cause i have one from a 96 grand) so factory motor mounts should be available from the wrecking yard ?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-28-2020, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
achesonj88

Re GC

No, The GC had a 4.0 inline 6 in it as well. So both engines were are 4.0. But the one out of the wrangler has a different mounting bracket and bolt hole pattern.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-30-2020, 01:07 AM
Goatboy4570

1983 CJ7 

Chero and wrangler blocks dif ?

I've always assumed the 4.0 and 4.2 had never changed the block to motor mount bolt pattern going all the way back to the CJ5/7 days.
I have a pile of motor mounts in my shed and they all have the same 3 bolt pattern on the engine side, at least i think they do just lookin at em, the frame side tho there are sliit variations. I could do some measurements as i do have a 2000 wrangler block im working on right now for my 83 cj7.
I will say the 2000 block does not have everything drilled and tapped for me 83 accessories but the bosses are still cast there to allow me to drill and tap for backward compatibility.

It would be great if you could up load a couple photos ?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2020, 09:33 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Try looking into BrownDog motor mounts. There will be other items that wont bolt up also. Perhaps A/C and alternator.

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
YJB88

What I have read says that the 2000+ WJ/TJ engines should interchange, XJs will not. I ran into issues long ago working on a getting a 2000 WJ 4.0 into a 88YJ using the 4.2L brackets. There were some differences in the mounting bosses that would not allow the brackets to mount to the motor. Have you checked the block casting numbers to verify that the engine is not older?

Following Ron's advice, I have seen others suggest contacting Brown Dog for motor mounts as well.

Edit:
Cant post links yet, but search the forum. There is some good information here on the differences.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in