Destroyed my drivetrain switching to 2 wheel - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Brevard'sBestKJ

Destroyed my drivetrain switching to 2 wheel

well boys I really did it today. I went from 4 wheel part time to 2 wheel rear drive at about 15 mph going forward. I have an automatic transmission. Reverse is now a dead gear and I was unwilling to go over 25 in forward. I get noises that weren't there before when shifting and a quiet clacking from the front wheels while moving forward. this clacking gets louder when I turn. I took the brakes and rotor off and turned the wheel hub and everything with the CV joint seemed nominal. How screwed is my drivetrain? Does my 06 Jeep Liberty with the V6 have the 42RLE or 45RFE transmission? What will I definitely need to replace? What in gods name is that Clacking? Any answers to any of those questions are appreciated. Sometimes simple lessons get learned the hard way.

"here on earth God's work must truly be our own". -JFK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-31-2019, 08:24 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Sounds like the electric shift motor didn't get you fully engaged into 2wd/out of 4wd. i would shift back into 4wd and drive a bit on a soft surface and then at a slow roll, with the trans in neutral, shift back into 2wd.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 5 Old 07-31-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Brevard'sBestKJ

I started her up this morning and reverse was working. I still followed your advice and all the gears seem to be working just fine. The clacking was still there at the beginning of the test drive but went away pretty quickly. If any more problems show up I'll post an update on this thread. This jeep is my daily driver and I do pizza delivery so If there are any problems still there I'll notice them pretty quick.

"here on earth God's work must truly be our own". -JFK

post #4 of 5 Old 08-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

glad it is working for you. yeah, sounds like the shift motor may be a little weak and not getting you fully back into 2wd after being in 4wd.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #5 of 5 Old 08-02-2019, 08:49 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Sounds like the electric shift motor didn't get you fully engaged into 2wd/out of 4wd. i would shift back into 4wd and drive a bit on a soft surface and then at a slow roll, with the trans in neutral, shift back into 2wd.
If the OP's username is what he has a KJ Liberty it is the 1st gen with manual shift transfer case, so what shift motor would you be talking about, thought all the 1st gen Libertys had the manual transfer cases?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in