Carb issues at angle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-28-2020, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Fecw551

Carb issues at angle

Hi all, This is my first forum post. I looked thru the forum threads, but did not see this addressed.

I have a 1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360 2 barrel carb. I ran into an issue this last trip intel the high county ~11,000 ft elevation. I stopped at high angle ~20 degrees (due to terrain), the engine stalled and would not restart. Once I got it back to level and sat for a few minutes, it fired right up and not another problem. I did go around the high angle rough terrain though.

Any thoughts on how to overcome this with a carb. I talked to a few mechanics, and they recommended that I consider fuel injection. I’d like to avoid that cost if possible. Also, I general mechanic, and terrible at carb rebuilding/adjustment.

Last edited by Fecw551; 07-28-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added info for clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-28-2020, 05:59 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The amount of fuel delivered by the various circuits in the carburetor and thus the air/fuel mixture is heavily influenced by the level of the fuel in the carb float bowl. This works well enough on generally level ground but not so well on uneven terrain due to the angle altering the effective fuel level. There's really not much of anything you can do change this, short of swapping to fuel injection.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 4 Old 07-29-2020, 05:49 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

So the first question is which carb do you have?

Front bowl carbs (most 2bbl's) seem to suffer flooding more under fore/aft angles. Side bowl carbs (such as Carters) more on off camber angles. Center bowl carbs seem to be the best of all worlds, but are limited to the Rochester Quadrajet.

Most angle issues can be helped by lowering the float level a bit.

In the end, all carbs will give issues if the angles get acute enough.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #4 of 4 Old 08-01-2020, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Fecw551

Thanks for the feedback. First off, sorry for the delay. Got tied up and not able to get back on line. In answer to the question about what carb I have, I do not know. Itís probably the original carb that came with the AMC engine. I cant find any Markings on it. I assume that it was rebuilt at the same time as the engine, which was in late 90ís.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in