Can a cracked flexplate mimic a failed CPS? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By V8GCZJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-07-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
camillescott
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Can a cracked flexplate mimic a failed CPS?

This is a question I started wondering about today. If the CPS measures rotation from the flexplate, could a cracked flexplate mimic a failed CPS? Basically, I'm imagining that cracks near the bolts would cause a wobble along the plane of the plate that would increase in severity between the center and edge. This would cause the plate to move slightly further away from the sensor during a portion of its rotation, which could cause the signal to weaken.

I got to thinking about this with my XJ, as I'm about to replace the CPS (again), and I'm quite sure I have a slightly cracked flexplate that I've been putting off repairing. It took me a while to accept that the CPS had failed again, and a lot of forum searches ensued; I found a lot of threads going back through the years with intermittent issues similar to my own (sudden temporary cuts in power at speed; unsteady idle; cutting out entirely at idle; but no issues starting), most of which were fixed by a new CPS, but some of which never seemed to be solved and turned into abandoned threads. Given how relatively common a cracked flexplate is, along with complete or partial removal of the transmission to repair it being a daunting task for many people, I have to imagine it's an issue that is often ignored or overlooked, and could explain some of those mystery issues.

Then again, if the flexplate is warped enough to affect the sensor readings, it might be damaged enough that it's impossible to ignore. Thoughts?

1992 Cherokee XJ, 4.5" Rubicon Express Short Arm, C8.25 rear axle, 31" tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-07-2019, 05:07 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I can't answer your specific question, but I do know that cheap crappy Chinese made parts that most auto parts stores sell, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty", are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Theoretically, a warped or cracked flex plate could damage the CPS.

Buy a genuine Jeep CPS, and inspect your flexplate for cracks. Flex plate replacement is not very technical at all, just time consuming.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-07-2019, 05:28 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
you could measure the flex plate for run out. would be rather simple with a dial indicator on a mag base. HF sells them cheep enough.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-07-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
camillescott
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I can't answer your specific question, but I do know that cheap crappy Chinese made parts that most auto parts stores sell, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty", are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Theoretically, a warped or cracked flex plate could damage the CPS.

Buy a genuine Jeep CPS, and inspect your flexplate for cracks. Flex plate replacement is not very technical at all, just time consuming.
All good points, I don't disagree with you on any of them. Time is what's kept me from doing mine so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
you could measure the flex plate for run out. would be rather simple with a dial indicator on a mag base. HF sells them cheep enough.
Good point. I'm not that worried about whether this is what's happening in my case in particular, just whether it's possible. Now that I think about it, I have a friend who has both a dial indicator and an old oscilloscope, who also happens to love over-engineered explorations... seems like a fun weekend project!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-07-2019, 06:13 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think your theory is definitely plausible run-out could be intermittent

But I'd definitely replace the flexplate regardless. If there are cracks, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2019, 07:27 AM
V8GCZJ

CPS reads the rectangular holes in the flex plate, It would have to be way off to the point of not running. CPS(or wiring) can be damaged during an engine swap so it's wise to remove it. I think your issue is the CPS or possibly the cam sensor. Are you sure the CPS is the issue? As said stay away from the junk the auto parts stores sell(especially BWD) only use genuine mopar or Delphi ones. If you can get a scanner that reads live data this will show if the CPS is the issue.
Jo3Gee likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in