Brand new jeep shows check engine light?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-20-2020, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
kkate7617

Brand new jeep shows check engine light??

I know it could mean 100 different things but this 2020 grand cherokee limitedX is literally 3 months old. Just had oil change 2 weeks ago, they checked all the fluids and everything was fine. Today while driving home from work the light came on and won’t go away even after restarting it. I made an appointment at the dealer on Tuesday, it’s ways away so hopefully I can make it. Also might stop by auto zone and have them look codes up tomorrow. Has anybody had it happen on this particular model? Also is it safe to drive if it’s not flashing? Have million things to do on Monday and don’t have a spare car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-20-2020, 01:36 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

don't panic, as forest gump said Sh-t happens.
Its not flashing - getting a read at autozone is a good idea will give peace of mind knowing the issue- don't buy anything to repair the jeep yourself.

You should ask dealer for a loaner while yours is in shop, if you are worried. Call the 800 # in your owners manual if dealer balks at that.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-20-2020, 06:37 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

There is no way to guess what it is. You said it could be a hundred different things. No, it could be a thousand or more different things. With as computerized as modern vehicles are, you can get a MIL for just about anything on the Jeep.

Getting it scanned for peace of mind is a good idea if you're concerned. Just don't try to fix anything yourself. It's under warranty, let the dealership do their job. If you mess anything up trying to fix it yourself, the warranty won't cover owner error.
I carry a bluetooth dongle code reader everywhere I drive so whenever I get a MIL, I can plug it in, connect it to my phone and read codes anytime, anywhere. You can get them for under $30.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in