big block LPG question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-23-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
krushnasty

1993 YJ Wrangler 

big block LPG question

i just got my 413 big block and im thinking about switching my rig to lpg.i found this kit on ebay

Impco 425 propane CARBURETOR KIT holley 4 barrel vff30 : eBay Motors (item 330454135599 end time Jul-30-10 05:12:35 PDT)

and it looks like a good deal considering i would have to buy a fuel pump for the carb if i ran gasoline and lp gets rid of the stock tank so i can do a small rear stretch.1. is lp cheaper? 2.where the hell do i get my tank filled? 3. do i have to use a carb base plate? 4. if u guys run lp, do u like it

thank guys

ya i know i spelled it wrong.ima math guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

propane is under $2 a gallon, talk to someone who uses it in a forklift (call a green house) and see where they get it from.

this is something i will be doing to my jeep, it improves MPG and power and is much cleaner in general. i've heard in some states you can right it off on your taxes too. that kit there looks decent but i would rather buy it new in full kit form. one of those kits that offers everything you need (minus tank) for about $750-1000.

"This isn't mud, it's a special Jeep Wax"
post #3 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
krushnasty

1993 YJ Wrangler 

actually i have a business and a fork truck it uses low pressure 10 gallon tanks.i exchange them down the road at a place called air gas. i thought that there might be a better place to fill a bigger tank. like for the people who have the kits that are refilled,not where u just swap out a tank.if i were to drive my rig on a road trip where would i "top off"at, i might have to stop at gas stations that offer grill tank exchange .haha

post #4 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 01:14 AM
jalves3

1967 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushnasty View Post
i just got my 413 big block and im thinking about switching my rig to lpg.i found this kit on ebay

Impco 425 propane CARBURETOR KIT holley 4 barrel vff30 : eBay Motors (item 330454135599 end time Jul-30-10 05:12:35 PDT)

and it looks like a good deal considering i would have to buy a fuel pump for the carb if i ran gasoline and lp gets rid of the stock tank so i can do a small rear stretch.1. is lp cheaper? 2.where the hell do i get my tank filled? 3. do i have to use a carb base plate? 4. if u guys run lp, do u like it

thank guys
1. Yes but you may get poorer MPG. Gas has 125,000 BTU's/gallon and propane has only 91,500. That will be offset because a carb will be running off mixture at angles while the propane mix will stay correct at any angle.
2. Anywhere if you use the forklift tank ($135-150) and take it after you remove it from the vehicle. If you have a vehicle mounted tank there may be road tax fees added.
3. Don't know. I'm only familiar with industrial engine conversions where the propane kit replaces everything.

You will have extremely extended oil change intervals and see almost zero cylinder wear. Some friends ran propane on the street and loved it but eventually changed back to gas for convenience and the space savings (propane tanks are larger than gas tanks and need to be fairly round).

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
krushnasty

1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys.i think i might just get a big *** lp tank and run that as my primary fuel sourse,and then fab a smaller fuel cell for gasoline make it duel fuel.if i did make it duel fuel do i just run the lp mixer on top of the carb?

post #6 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

I...think so, gotpropane.com these guys show it running just on top of a carb but you could probably call them and they would offer you a little advise. once again though, why not just buy new?

"This isn't mud, it's a special Jeep Wax"
post #7 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
krushnasty

1993 YJ Wrangler 

i probly will just buy new. its worth the extra money to have clean parts and half a$$ed directions.lol

post #8 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 02:20 PM
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves3 View Post
1. Yes but you may get poorer MPG. Gas has 125,000 BTU's/gallon and propane has only 91,500.
It really depends on the engine. If you intend to run LPG you might as well semi-build the engine for it. LPG can withstand much higher compression ratios without pre-ignition compared to gas. If you build it with a higher CR then I would bet that would make up for the difference in energy/vol.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 PM
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can get the tank filled at any propane place, Some fuel stations like FlyinJ sell it, some RV parks also sell it.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
krushnasty

1993 YJ Wrangler 

no flyn j's around here, i think the only place i could fill it in my town is air gas down the road and southern states.i have to buy a new carb so i might as well get a bran new kit.i guess ill just cross that bridge when i get to it. i think the engine has a 12 to 1 CR

post #11 of 11 Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM
patter5

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would ask hank hill he seems to be the leading expert on this kinda thing.

Tags
propane injection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in