1Likes
  • 1 Post By 5280Sport

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-17-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
5280Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bad vibration issue

Hey all..
Lots to say here & Iíll try to make it short.
2006 TJ 83-k JK axels 4.88 gears.
Last Sunday, was under the hood, just doing a routine exam, fluid check, leak check..etc. decided to check the MAF sensor there on the plastic tube going to the intake manifold. Was pretty dirty, hit it with MAF sensor cleaner..Monday morning starting up the jeep..I get a CEL , pulled the code P0113. Thatís when I found out that I didnít clean the MAF, it was the air intake temp sensor, & I fried it. Had to wait 3 days to get the replacement part. During that time the jeep ran like crap..sluggish & noticed a vibration under load. Since the sensor can jack with timing, fuel, air..I accepted this and replaced the sensor, cleared the CEL. Well the vibration is still there. At idle, no issues..during acceleration up to approx 25 mph, no issues..this is where it gets sketchy..from approx 30-40 mph the vibration rolls in and is pretty significant. But after approx 40 mph, it almost goes away. Noticed yesterday on the highway at approx 65mph the vibration was not a constant but rather a slow consistent pulse. Between 30-40 mph under load, vibration is bad, but as soon as I let off the accelerator, ZERO vibration. Today I was thinking, letís try some things and see what happens. Shifted into 4-high..vibration almost goes completely away....hmmm. Shift back into 2wd vibration comes back. Read that maybe my CPS could have taken a dump..cheap easy part..swapped that out..still vibration. So Iím wondering what the heck is going on. Seems too coincidental that this vibration started when I had the air temp sensor issue..but who knows.
Been asking around, getting multiple possibilities of potential problems.
Flex plate
Tq converter
T-case issue

Iím at a loss..on the books for my local jeep shop to look at it, but thatís not until Jan 5.
If anyone thinks they know what may be going down..Iím open for suggestions.
Sorry for the long post, but had to lay out the story ..
Thanks all.
Matt

LOTís of goodies here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-18-2017, 08:35 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Several things come to mind based on the description provided: the rear pinion angle is off or moving due to loose/worn control arms, the transmission mount is loose or worn/broken, the rear transfer case output or diff pinion yoke is loose, or the rear driveshaft needs to be rebuilt.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 5 Old 12-20-2017, 11:42 AM
ShawnAtTomWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280Sport View Post
Hey all..
Lots to say here & Iíll try to make it short.
2006 TJ 83-k JK axels 4.88 gears.
Last Sunday, was under the hood, just doing a routine exam, fluid check, leak check..etc. decided to check the MAF sensor there on the plastic tube going to the intake manifold. Was pretty dirty, hit it with MAF sensor cleaner..Monday morning starting up the jeep..I get a CEL , pulled the code P0113. Thatís when I found out that I didnít clean the MAF, it was the air intake temp sensor, & I fried it. Had to wait 3 days to get the replacement part. During that time the jeep ran like crap..sluggish & noticed a vibration under load. Since the sensor can jack with timing, fuel, air..I accepted this and replaced the sensor, cleared the CEL. Well the vibration is still there. At idle, no issues..during acceleration up to approx 25 mph, no issues..this is where it gets sketchy..from approx 30-40 mph the vibration rolls in and is pretty significant. But after approx 40 mph, it almost goes away. Noticed yesterday on the highway at approx 65mph the vibration was not a constant but rather a slow consistent pulse. Between 30-40 mph under load, vibration is bad, but as soon as I let off the accelerator, ZERO vibration. Today I was thinking, letís try some things and see what happens. Shifted into 4-high..vibration almost goes completely away....hmmm. Shift back into 2wd vibration comes back. Read that maybe my CPS could have taken a dump..cheap easy part..swapped that out..still vibration. So Iím wondering what the heck is going on. Seems too coincidental that this vibration started when I had the air temp sensor issue..but who knows.
Been asking around, getting multiple possibilities of potential problems.
Flex plate
Tq converter
T-case issue

Iím at a loss..on the books for my local jeep shop to look at it, but thatís not until Jan 5.
If anyone thinks they know what may be going down..Iím open for suggestions.
Sorry for the long post, but had to lay out the story ..
Thanks all.
Matt
Are you running the stock rear drive shaft or a double cardan (cv)? If your drive shaft has just a single joint at each end (stock type) it could be a geometry issue. When I explain the symptoms of a geometry related drive shaft issue this is what I say. "You will typically feel a shake or shudder under heavy throttle or load. Often under acceleration, between 30-40 mph. Once you get up to highway speed and are more or less coasting, the vibration will diminish." So what you are explaining is a textbook example of the symptoms of a drive line angle problem. Though it makes absolutely no sense that it would pop up after changing a sensor. You've got me a bit stumped.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-21-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
5280Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Found the problem..
First..thank you for responding to my post.
Yes, I do have a double Cardigan set up.
Thatís where my vibrations were coming from. Iíve only owned the Jeep for a couple months, the previous owner did zero maintenance on them. Never greased them after initial install. Sooooo over the two year span, they finally wore down to the point of no return. Had to get them rebuilt, drove the Jeep today..vibration gone! 10 minutes of periodic maintenance would have solved this. But thatís what you get when a pretty boy is afraid to get his hands dirty. Asked him when I picked it up from him, I just had the plugs changed, so Monday I get a CEL , pull the codes: P300 & 301. Start with the easy fix first..check the plugs, all 6 were fouled, #3 the electrode was gone! Just changed my a$$! On 3 of the plugs, I had to use a breaker bar to free them...why the heck do you feel the need to overtighten them..?!?!? Unreal!
Again, thank you for the replies, it helped narrow down possible problems.
Get to replace the lower main seal this weekend...OH JOY!!
Merry Christmas all!
ShawnAtTomWoods likes this.

LOTís of goodies here
post #5 of 5 Old 12-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Gclemons22
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Iíve got the same thing going on but Iím a little lost on wer ur problem was at? This is my first Jeep and Jeep build and am learning as I go, my father owned a transmission shop and was a great mechanic but I nvr really took a interest till he passed a few hrs ago. Anyway I Kno that my sway bar bushing (front and rear) are shot but Iíve thought that maybe bc I just put new front pads on it that maybe it was calibersticking but if that was the case it would do it when I let off the gas and it doesnít!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in