Any 4.0 oil pan gasket secrets - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
pighunter

Any 4.0 oil pan gasket secrets

OK...
Rear main replaced twice this week. On the third pan gasket. 4.0 94 jeep GC auto Quadratrac. 150K

I can't seem to get this thing to stop spewing oil from the rear main area. I have it narrowed down and now I can see the pan gasket (and this happened before) has been pushed out of the rear main journal area towards the flywheel. i have been diligent (or at least i thought) about not over tightening the pan bolts especially near the main seal area.

What can i do to change this? Go below spec torque? My CCV system seems to be functioning. 150K but no exit smoke--high oil pressure on the guage but within spec. I guess it could be worn rings and high crank case pressures but... I've tried More RTV and less RTV. I've tried soap and dry.

Done the obvious culprits--valve cover and oil filter are fixes... it's the pan gasket and maybe a weeping rear main but I can live with weeping oil... just not oil coating the back glass and EVERY car behind me.

Thanks...dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is the oil pan straight? When I fix oil leaks like your I clean up everything extra good with breakclean. then put it on jacks and actually watch to see where the oil is coming from. A leak like this you should see it right from the start. I prefer a small drop of RTV at the 4 cornerswhere the main caps meet. Are you using a 1 piece gasket? How about oil filter adapter?
Ron
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
pighunter

One piece filter, RTV on the corners. yes i have done the oil filter adapter o rings...they are good, maybe a little weep.

I sorted out the oil pan gasket I think. put soap on both sides of the gasket around the bearing/rear main seal journal. That did it for the big leak. for some reason it would not stay in place and I found out that my manual suggests soap---so soap it was. After the thorough cleaning I found a weeping head gasket-passenger side and a good amount of oil coming from the intake and exhaust area. figured that to be the valve cover gasket but it appears to be the intake and exhaust.

Does this make any sense? is there oil involved in the intake at all? the bolts were very loose for the intake/exhaust.

I tightened them and so far the oil is way less. also re-torqued the valve cover gasket...it seems loose seconds after i tighten it.

If there is oil involved with the intake gasket then I think that was my problem.

Time will tell...thanks...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in