Another transmission in limp mode - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-07-2020, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
AutoCorrekt

Another transmission in limp mode

So, I've been doing some heavy searching the past few days and have yet to find leads on the issues I'm having. Those that come close seem to either lack the information or I'm just not putting it together right.

I have a 2002 WJ, 4.7 2WD. It's not throwing any codes and there engine is running strong. There is no slipping in the transmission so long as I keep it at 55mph and lower. Once the transmission gets warmed up and above 55, the transmission wants to bog down there engine and downshift until I come to a stop. One time, I kept pushing the accelerator and the engine died. If I let of the gas and put out in neutral, the engine idles normal and I can coast.

This happens while in the overdrive gear so I know it's not trying to upshift on me and slipping. I haven't noticed a pattern yet with the engine speed, only the vehicle speed. If I go into neutral before I kill the engine, come to a stop, and then put it back into drive, I can continue like it never happened until I get closer to 60mph. I drove over 80 miles without stopping only because I kept it at or under the 55 mark.

Where would you recommend I begin the diagnostics?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-07-2020, 11:44 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

first thoughts

you HAVE to use a scanner to check codes.
Is your AIRBAG light on?
My Thinking SWAG is TCC sticking. That shifting to N comment.

The jeep is STOCK powertrain, no modifications..?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-08-2020, 06:32 AM
V8GCZJ

When was the last time you checked the fluid level/changed fluid and filter?

post #4 of 4 Old 08-12-2020, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
AutoCorrekt

The Jeep appears to be a full factory setup. Transmission fluid and level look good, it's still pink.

When I purchased the vehicle, I was told that they couldn't keep it in gear. So I've been looking at trying to prove it's not the transmission while keeping that idea there.

I've been pulling codes with a reader and it doesn't seem to be throwing much of anything. First it threw the P0442 before having any issues. This code appears fairly often with me so I didn't think anything of it and just cleared it. That was right after I made this post but well after the symptoms appeared. A few days later I got P0442 and P0463. No other codes were put out other than those two times.

When it threw the 463, I started looking at the fuel pump. I'm only having the issue when I'm at less than half a tank of gas, most often below ⅜ of a tank. It appears that it may be overheating when the fuel isn't able to cool it anymore. After I refilled the tank, it was perfectly fine until I got to the halfway mark. But at first glance, it really does act like a transmission problem and that's what was boggling me. It's matching perfectly the description the previous owners gave.

I don't have the wires at the moment to hook up to the pump and monitor while driving but at just over 200k miles, I'd say it's not a bad idea to replace it. The tank most likely needs cleaned as well. And with the price at about $70 shipped for a Spectra, it's worth replacing if I'm already going to drop the tank for a good cleaning.

Fuel pump has already been ordered and should be getting replaced this weekend. I don't have any doubts at the moment about it being the problem so I'll post back shortly after it's swapped out.

At $500, I'll be a very happy camper if this is all that's wrong!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in