Another Ticking Engine ! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-21-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
RichardZ
2018 WK 

Another Ticking Engine !

I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L engine. Upon startup there is a ticking sound coming from the engine. As the engine warms up the ticking does go away but not completely. In below freezing temps it is pronounced. At idle, it's about 200 ticks/minute. I had the dealer look at it but the mechanic can't determine the source - they want to do an engine tear down to find it, $450 to start off. Any suggestions ?

Richard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-21-2016, 03:50 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Those had the valve seat issue i think. They could do a leak down test for less and not have to tear it down. maybe even a scope? But if you research it you will see it comes up a ton.
rbarlow likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-21-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
RichardZ
2018 WK 

As suggested I researched for the dropped valve seat, it seems to have been a problem somewhere around 15 years ago and usually because of an engine overheat. I didn't see any reports of it on year 2000 and up. I also know this engine has never had an overheat problem in the seven years I've owned it. I will ask about the leak test but I hope the dealer has mechanics smart enough to do some simple checks before digging in too deep - afterall, they did charge me $90 to "look" at it.

Richard

post #4 of 12 Old 01-21-2016, 06:11 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Yes i hope you can too. It can happen with just normal hot too. this crosses platforms in jeep. 3.6 mine lost two seats , never got "hot". Its a issue i think to do with metallurgy differing metals and thicknesses around the bosses in heads. I know the latter 3.6 had to be beefed up in those areas as Fiat claimed anyway, for what that is worth. Maybe get an independent to look at. I mean the only time i go to a dealer is in warranty period. I have a guy i trust if i cant do it. That might pick you a Mechanic too. see if they even know what a leak down test is..... Sure its just not anything loose in the rockers? I had my #2 son bring his girls car over with a tap in the valves. Little checking i see through the oil filler what looks like a rocker fell off. pulled the cover and yep the stud pulled out of the alloy. lucky nothing went fubar past that. I helicoiled the boss and set the stud in red lock tight, put the rocker on and cover. 1 hour. would cost 300 at the shop, maybe, if they will do it..

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #5 of 12 Old 01-30-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
RichardZ
2018 WK 

Got my Jeep back last night. The service rep who checked me in originally (Monday) had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about a leak test and the mech was not available. But I was assured they would do it correctly. Two days later I got a call, the right side head is cracked and there is a lifter problem. Three days more and it was ready, no service tech to talk to and they had already disposed of the head so I could not see what they claimed was the problem. I spoke to the mechanic and he explained there was a crack at one of the lifters so he replaced the head and the lifters in both sides. Total cost was $3641.00, thank you.

Got up this morning to a cold day, started my Cherokee and tick, tick, tick - THE NOISE WAS STILL THERE !!!!!

I was about to make a 2000 mile round trip but now I'm worried - might not be a good idea. Any more suggestions on what I might try ?

Thanks
Richard
post #6 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 PM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

First off they shouldn't be disposing of any parts for at least 24 hrs after the bill has been paid, second I would take it back and leave with them to fix at there cost

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
post #7 of 12 Old 02-05-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
RichardZ
2018 WK 

I returned my Cherokee to the dealer yesterday. Still waiting to hear back. I did complain about disposing of the head before I could see it but was told I needed to let them know up front if I wanted to see any replaced parts. We'll see how well they do this time.

Richard
post #8 of 12 Old 03-28-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
RichardZ
2018 WK 

As a followup - the dealer decided the problem was internal to the engine .... requiring a replacement, engine that is. They proposed installing a re-manufactured block for around $6500 dollars. Of course the $3500 dollars that didn't fix the tick was not addressed.

For a second opinion - I took my Cherokee to a local mechanic (highly recommended) and they also decided it was an internal problem in the engine but rebuilding the engine would cost much more than a replacement. They offered a used engine (80k miles) as replacement for about $5200.

It was suggested during some of the conversations about possible cause that the engine may have gone without an oil change for sometime (I bought the Jeep used with 20K on it) and, because of thick oil, lack of lube in some spot may have caused excessive wear. Someone mentioned piston slap as a result ??

In any case I now need to decide on whether to do an engine swap now or to run it till it gets too bad to ignore.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-28-2016, 03:27 PM
sr7002

I had the same problem I think. I had purchase a Jeep synthetic oil change program, they said the oil last for 10,000 miles and they put an oil change sticker suggesting just that, to be on the safe side, I was going to change the oil at 8,000 miles, before I got to that point the engine started ticking, I took it to a dealership , they said the jeep was 2.5 quarts low of oil, I asked if their was any oil leaks, they replied no and suggested that the other Dealer may not have put the right amount of oil in. Of course the original dealer denied that they could ever make a mistake, and informed me that the 3.8 engine was known for burning oil through the rings, but of course it would not be something you could see. So I did a drop test of my own and it did not burn a drop of oil. I then took the jeep to the dealership, they tore the engine down and the noise was coming from the crank and bearings, still no answer to what happened to the 2.5 quarts of oil. My jeep was 1000 miles out of warranty so I called Jeep, and they have offered to pay $3000 0f a $7500 dealer repair. In the meanwhile I found an engine builder that can rebuild the old engine for $2500. It really feels like I'm getting a bad deal. Either the dealership made a mistake, or I have a defective engine. Either way I get the short end of the stick and the Jeep Rubicon is really kind of a whimpy vehicle. I'm curious how many other have had this engine issue
post #10 of 12 Old 03-28-2016, 04:03 PM
rbarlow
2006 WK 

Another Ticking 4.7

Hey Guys, for a while I thought I was going to lose my mind. I have been dealing with this 'tick issue' for months now and only today I see RichardZ has the identical issue, right down to a tee! Same jeep, same engine, and same start up noise.............Now as of today the engine has been flushed, lifters changed, and running synthetic, - morning start @ idle no tick. Jump in and head down the road, tick tick hit Tim Hortons grab a coffee and head home, tick gone. Now, only if, you start the engine and let it warm up to an approximate operating temperature range, say 10 minutes, head down the road, no tick. Old race mechanic friend suggest some Lucas Oil Stabilizer and run her till she goes, cause we pretty much figure its top end (valve guide). I hate to do it this way, but no way am I doing the top end only to lose the bottom end months later, so screw it, going to start a fund jar for a new mill and keep the ol' girl running as long as we can. Just can't keep chasing my tail over a tick......warm up the 4.7 before I head down the road and life is easy. I CAN ONLY HOPE!
post #11 of 12 Old 03-28-2016, 07:03 PM
rbarlow
2006 WK 

http://www.powertraindirect.com/

Try these guys, out of Michigan state, 4.7 , crate engine 0 miles, $2500.00 w/warranty.......
post #12 of 12 Old 11-16-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
RichardZ
2018 WK 

I solved my problem, I traded my ticking time bomb in on a 2018 GC. Let the auto dealer worry about it.

Richard

p.s. I wonder what the typical labor cost would be to install that crate engine ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in