87 wrangler rear brakes wont work - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
DesertWarrior

87 wrangler rear brakes wont work

I have an 87 wrangler with a 93 cherokee engine in it. I have replaced the MC, booster, rear lines, drums, shoes. I have bled it multiple times and have no bubbles coming out the vac at the booster is between 13-15 but the rear wheels wont stop the front wheels work just fine I even adjusted shoes all the way out and they still keep spinning like their not even there I'm at a loss for what could be the problem any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-10-2020, 09:52 AM
DesertRata

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Were all 4 wheels braking normal at on time? What inspired you to start replacing parts? Were you trying to improve something? You've added so many parts it is hard to tell where to start in diagnosing your no rear brake problem. Perhaps if you could tell us more of the back story one of us could be of more help.

DESERT RATA
post #3 of 6 Old 08-10-2020, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
DesertWarrior

The rear brakes never worked from the time that we bought it. the person we bought it from said he couldn't figure out why they never worked but we took a chance. We found out the drums, shoes and all the hard wear were wrong so we bough new parts for a 87 wrangler and they didnt fit so we found out the backing plates were wrong so we found a set of matching ones and got that part right and the brake lines on the rear axel were not correct (original) so we got a new set for it went through and bled everything including the mc before installing it. We also found that the passenger side e-cable was melted and was "on" all the time. We removed it. After all that, we are still at a loss.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-11-2020, 10:36 AM
V8FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is the plunger in the proportioning valve stuck? I wouldn't think it is if your getting fluid, but maybe it's funky too, or perhaps even the wrong PV considering all the other stuff that was wrong.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-11-2020, 02:28 PM
DesertRata

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can not properly bleed brakes if the shoes are not contacting the drum. I would pull the rear drums off and make sure the brakes are assembled correctly. Get a hold of a service manual and compare the assembly with your assembly and make sure it is assembled correctly.
Now, put the drums and wheels back on. Next, adjust the brakes out until the wheels will not turn. Then, back up the adjuster about 3-4 clicks or until the wheel will just turn with very slight drag.
You should be able to bleed the brakes at that point.

DESERT RATA
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2020, 01:24 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Most likely if they have been bled properly it is the proportioning valve. When bleeding the system is the fluid coming out in a steady stream or dribbling out? Does it have a solid pedal or spongey?

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in