8.8 axle swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
venum67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 axle swap

i recently came across an 8.8 axle from a '99 ford explorer for $120. its geared in 3.73 but the only problem is it's not limited slip. all the 8.8 swaps i've read up on always work with limited slip axles. is this a deal breaker? or is this something i can add since i'll be regearing to 4.56 gears anyway?

Thanks for all the help. i apologize if this has been answered before but i haven't come across it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Technohead

1998 ZJ 

Lack of limited slip is a GOOD thing. You need to have an open diff or else you cannot install a lunchbox locker.

-Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 PM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Even when new they are not real tight at all, work good for street manners and maybe light wheeling but definitely better than an open diff. Like said above I would not worry about it and you do need an open carrier if you decide to install the cheaper lunchbox lockers.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
venum67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

what if i wanted to go with a detroit or ARB air locker? would the lunchbox locker be to weak to handle 35's? does having a lunchbox locker on a manual transmission adversely affect the handling during normal driving conditions?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-14-2012, 11:28 PM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

A detroit or ARB is a whole carrier so it wouldnt matter if you had an open or LSD. A manual trans can cause the locker to unlock/lock more often due to the torque transition of shifting gears, with that said a auto tranny may keep a locker locked more often due to constant torque applied through the trans. Either of those two symptoms would not be drastic unless you drive aggressive, especially when cornering. IMO based on my experience with both a detroit and lock-right, the lock-right will have better street manners, the detroit seems to be more reluctant to unlocking when cornering or in parking lots.

An ARB or another type of selectable locker would be the best of both worlds if you can afford it, unlocked when street driving or mild wheeling on harder surfaces. locked up in deep snow, mud, rocks, sand etc. Keep in mind that a lunch box locker relies on the strenght of the factory carrier, which some people say is weak but unless your doing agressive/extreme wheeling you wont have a problem.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Technohead

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
. . . IMO based on my experience with both a detroit and lock-right, the lock-right will have better street manners, the detroit seems to be more reluctant to unlocking when cornering or in parking lots. . .
Are you talking about the old-school Detroits from the 70's-80's or the new Detroits? I had the old style in my Scout back in the early 80's and they were BRUTAL when cornering, especially if I shifted when cornering. I have one of the new Detroit "soft lockers" in my rig now and its fantastic on the road. Very rarely even know its there. By way of comparison, lunch box lockers tend to sound like cog trains.

Either way, a locked rear axle will have some affect on the road but very minimal. The main thing you need to get used to is pulling out into traffic. If you are trying a tight turn while accelerating hard from a stop it will chirp the tires. I normally wait until the vehicle is straight and then mat the pedal.

If you have the cash and want bulletproof reliability, Detroits are the way to go. If you want to save a $1,000 then throw a lunchbox locker into an open carrier and wheel it.

-Eric

post #7 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 AM
ajmorell

Full Detroits have a tendency to take the carrier with them if a shaft breaks (maybe technohead can vouch otherwise). That's the only thing that kept me from going with one. The stock carrier is rumored to be weak but I haven't seen a failure in person. My lunchbox is actually very quiet on the street, I suspect that installation has a lot to do with that
post #8 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 09:22 AM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
Full Detroits have a tendency to take the carrier with them if a shaft breaks (maybe technohead can vouch otherwise). That's the only thing that kept me from going with one. The stock carrier is rumored to be weak but I haven't seen a failure in person. My lunchbox is actually very quiet on the street, I suspect that installation has a lot to do with that
I can vouch for the detroits breaking, but I have seen the detroits split in half without other breakage, more than once too.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
venum67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
My lunchbox is actually very quiet on the street, I suspect that installation has a lot to do with that
Which lunchbox did you get? Thanks for all the input. I'll have to give this a little more thought before i pull the trigger.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
venum67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So i picked up the 8.8 axle afterall. Even went to the local pick and pull and got a high pinion dana 30 from an old Cherokee. Figure if i'm going to be regearing and rebuilding axles might as well as do the front and rear. Still undecided about the locker but i'm a long way from that right now. first things first...get this axles cleaned up, sealed, and regeared. thanks again for all the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in