'79 AMC 304 Oil Capacity Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
edou8le

'79 AMC 304 Oil Capacity Question

I'm changing the oil (for the second time) on my '79 304 and decided to try to get an answer to an oil capacity question I have.

Everything online says the oil capacity is 5qts. But, at 4 qts, the dipstick is right at the full line (after idling for a few minutes). I changed the filter too.

On the previous oil change, I ignored the dipstick and filled with 5qts. It read high on the dipstick (and stayed high the whole time). It seemed to run fine, I guess...I don't know that I'd know what running with a quart too much would "feel" like. The oil didn't turn to mayonnaise.

I'm maybe the 100th owner of this thing, so I don't know what might have been done to the dipstick or oil pan before me, but they *look* original.

Should I ignore the dipstick and go with 5 qts, or trust the dipstick?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 02:06 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

You don't know if that's the original dipstick or tube. How can you trust that?
Put in your 5 quarts, that's the proper amount. As long as you trust in your ability to count that high, you're better off than that unknown dipstick.
Then, make a score mark on the dipstick to show where full really is and trust THAT.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 6 Old 09-22-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
edou8le

Well, I guess what I'm wondering is, if a previous owner put a shallower pan on at some point, could that lower the effective oil capacity?

post #4 of 6 Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I find it far more likely that the dipstick and/or tube is not original. Dipsticks and their tubes break all the time and people regularly replace them with anything that fits.
I've never seen a 4qt pan for a 304 and there's no reason in the world for anyone to put one on a Jeep.
I'd find another Jeep to compare it to. This thread has some pics (although blurry) of a 79 304 oil pan, maybe you can tell if it looks like yours: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/7...epair-1150056/

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 6 Old 09-22-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
edou8le

Yep, that's it. Though if I had to bet, I'd bet the dipstick is original too. My wife also refers to me as the original dipstick.

Ok, now this may be an(other) ignorant question, but this '79 304 has been put in an '84 CJ-7. The motor tilts slightly lower toward the rear. Does that mean the oil pan would also be tilted? If so, I don't know if that's how it sat in the original CJ-5 or if that's a result of being in a CJ-7. But, the dipstick enters in the rear of the pan...so, if the oil pan is tilted more rearward than the original, that would cause it to read high, I assume.

Hey, I got into this thing thinking the electrical was all it needed...electrical I can handle. Mechanical, I'm learning as I go!
post #6 of 6 Old 09-22-2019, 06:48 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

They kind of look like they're tilted back a little. Google "1979 CJ5 V8 engine bay" and look at some images.

Check the engine fan at the radiator. Are they parallel or is the bottom of the fan closer to the radiator? If they're parallel, it's fine. If not, the engine is tilted back more than it originally was.

Sometimes this is intentional, especially if the Jeep has been lifted. When you lift a Jeep, the driveshaft u-joint angles can get too severe. One way a lot of people handle this is by lowering (or "dropping") the rear transmission mount to lessen the rear driveshaft angles, which tilts the engine back a little more.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in