42RLE Tranny Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Salmon King

42RLE Tranny Questions

Hey all...we have a couple of questions concerning our tranny, adapter Housing, and Transfer case on our 2005 Liberty 4x4.

Here’s the deal....my son (a very avid DIY’er) rebuilt the tranny because it was slipping badly. He did a very good job as the slipping is gone and it drives beautifully.

HOWEVER....during a Pre-trip inspection this morning (he drove 200 miles immediately following the rebuild) while under underneath he noticed that there was a lot of transmission fluid from the transmission adapter housing all the way to the fuel tank. We immediately suspected the tranny output shaft seals. Or the input seal on the transfer case.
We checked the fluid level and it was down about 1.5 quarts ruling out the transfer case.

Anyway....we removed the transfer case and everything appears to be in great shape. But the adapter housing was filled with tranny fluid.
So the questions started...

Should the adapter housing be filled with fluid?
If so then it must get its fluid via the “lube tube” at the coupling to the tranny?
When we pulled the transfer case I noticed there was no plug in the side of the case next to the shift connection (that would allow water into it if you submerged it). So following that logic I installed a plug to stop water intrusion or syphoning of the fluid out (which I THINK was the Cassie of the apparent fluid leak).

If there is NOT supposed to be any fluid in the adapter housing then where would it be coming from?

I’m stumped!! Please try and be helpful...thanks!

Our main concern is that we lost 1.5 quarts of fluid over a 200 mi. trip and that’s a lot! More importantly...he needs to rake s trip to California in it in 2 weeks...so we have to figure this thing out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 05:37 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

There should not be any fluid in that housing.
If there's that much, it must be coming from the transmission. The t-case only holds a couple quarts, so it would be dry by now.
The most likely culprit would be the transmission output seal. Perhaps it got nicked during re-assembly or something...

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Salmon King

Thanks for the reply...can you tell me...
What is the function of the Lube Tube in the adapter housing then?

Last edited by Salmon King; 04-21-2019 at 10:36 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I think I misread or misunderstood (it was early, I wasn't quite awake). For some reason I was thinking you meant the space between the tranny and t-case had filled up.
Never mind

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Sorry, it was early, I must have mis-read something. I was thinking you were getting fluid in the area between the extension housing and the t-case. Never mind

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Salmon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
I think I misread or misunderstood (it was early, I wasn't quite awake). For some reason I was thinking you meant the space between the tranny and t-case had filled up.
Never mind
It did...the adapter housing. The one with that little drive shaft that runs through it.
There is a Lube Tube in there and I don’t understand the purpose of the Tube.
Anyway because there is no rear seal on the tranny (just the bearing and nut) that case fills up with tranny fluid.
I’ve had some tell me that it supposed to be dry and others say it is supposed to have fluid in it.
The online tranny service manual and videos don’t say anything.

All I know is the tranny is supposed to be full at 8.7 quarts but it takes right at 9 including this adapter housing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in