2012 Grand Cherokee Coolant Temp - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-15-2020, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
boeing787

2012 Grand Cherokee Coolant Temp

Hello

I bought a 2012 from the dealer a few weeks ago.

Can anyone tell me where the coolant temp normally stays? Right now in the climate I am in (-10C to -35C) the coolant won't heat up more than 81F. So on the gauge it's about 3/8'' up towards the middle. My old car and any other car I've driven seems to go to the midpoint and stay there.

Another thing I am noticing is that the heat in the car is sometimes only warm and not hot when its on max. For example, the other day it was around -30C and the windshield was fogging up and I had it on the windshield/foot setting but the foot warmers weren't really pumping out much heat and the windshield was just clear enough for me to drive but it was having a hard time.

Attached Thumbnails
20200121_095431.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2020, 09:24 PM
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Those are some pretty cold temps. Might be okay, but the first thing I'd check is the coolant quality. Should've have new fluid swapped in about 3 years ago. Might be corroding the insides of the coolant system. May also have a stuck open thermostat. Feel the line coming out of the thermostat to the radiator. It shouldn't be warm at all until the car gets up to temp.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2020, 11:45 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing787 View Post
Hello

I bought a 2012 from the dealer a few weeks ago.

Can anyone tell me where the coolant temp normally stays? Right now in the climate I am in (-10C to -35C) the coolant won't heat up more than 81F. So on the gauge it's about 3/8'' up towards the middle. My old car and any other car I've driven seems to go to the midpoint and stay there.

Another thing I am noticing is that the heat in the car is sometimes only warm and not hot when its on max. For example, the other day it was around -30C and the windshield was fogging up and I had it on the windshield/foot setting but the foot warmers weren't really pumping out much heat and the windshield was just clear enough for me to drive but it was having a hard time.
Hi boeing787,
Thanks for reaching out here! We certainly can see the concern here. I recommend revisiting your dealer for a proper diagnosis. Feel free to share your findings here, or PM us with further questions you may have.

Kathryn
JeepCares

post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2020, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
boeing787

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Those are some pretty cold temps. Might be okay, but the first thing I'd check is the coolant quality. Should've have new fluid swapped in about 3 years ago. Might be corroding the insides of the coolant system. May also have a stuck open thermostat. Feel the line coming out of the thermostat to the radiator. It shouldn't be warm at all until the car gets up to temp.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk
thank you, ill change the thermostat since I already ordered it. Actually it seems easier than doing a flush. To edit my original post, the coolant temp actually sits at 81C, not 81F. Cheers
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
boeing787

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hi boeing787,
Thanks for reaching out here! We certainly can see the concern here. I recommend revisiting your dealer for a proper diagnosis. Feel free to share your findings here, or PM us with further questions you may have.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Hey Kathryn, thanks for your input.

The whole reason for this website and my post was obviously to avoid going to a dealership or mechanic to pay for a diagnosis at shop rate which is roughly 100 bucks an hour. Clearly anyone can go into any dealership and they will gladly take your car in and charge you. And if there's nothing wrong with your car they will find something wrong and recommend you change it Most people on here, and most forums are doing the same. I have done a lot of work on my vehicles based on the help I got from nice people on forums like this. Cheers!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-19-2020, 09:07 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing787 View Post
Hey Kathryn, thanks for your input.

The whole reason for this website and my post was obviously to avoid going to a dealership or mechanic to pay for a diagnosis at shop rate which is roughly 100 bucks an hour. Clearly anyone can go into any dealership and they will gladly take your car in and charge you. And if there's nothing wrong with your car they will find something wrong and recommend you change it Most people on here, and most forums are doing the same. I have done a lot of work on my vehicles based on the help I got from nice people on forums like this. Cheers!
Thanks boeing787,
I can of course understand your reasoning here. Please know that our team is only able to assist our customers alongside a certified diagnosis, therefore we aim to offer our support in order to inform customers of our available assistance.
In the future, if you ever run into a concern that you are unable to remedy on your own, please remember that we are always happy to add our additional assistance to a dealer visit. Cheers!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in