2001 Jeep Cherokee flexplate to torque converter - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-14-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
REK2020

2001 Jeep Cherokee flexplate to torque converter

My first post so go easy! I have a 2001 Cherokee with a inline 6 4.0. Motor blew, replaced it with exact same years motor with matching numbers on motor (449). I tried installing motor and motor is turning, along with flexplate but when I tighten down bolts, then try to install flex plate bolts, the motor wont move and cant get bolts in. Even pulled it out again and tried reinstalling and all was moving until last minute. What am I doing wrong? I am assuming that I could at least turn it to align bolts. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
51565C8B-751E-400F-B880-660B6393B7DB.jpg   F6120740-C0A3-4AB9-8E7E-BC0BBDB2628D.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-15-2020, 12:56 AM
Goatboy4570

1983 CJ7 

So after you bolt the trany to the engine but before you bolt the torque-convertor to the flex plate you cannot turn over the motor with a wrench on the front of the crankshaft ... that's a bad sign alright.

That button in the center of the torque convertor is going into the crank ?

Okay you have to check that the TC is fully engaged in the transmission, you have to rotate the TC and make sure it dogs into the oil pump drive in the front of the tranny, it can seem like its in and then all of a sudden it drops in another 1/2 inch, spin it a bunch of times to check.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-15-2020, 04:56 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest you get a genuine Jeep Factory Service Manual from www.pacificcoastmanuals.com for all the TC install/alignment details and the measurement procedures to confirm engagement.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

post #4 of 6 Old 07-15-2020, 09:05 AM
Jo3Gee

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy4570 View Post

Okay you have to check that the TC is fully engaged in the transmission, you have to rotate the TC and make sure it dogs into the oil pump drive in the front of the tranny, it can seem like its in and then all of a sudden it drops in another 1/2 inch, spin it a bunch of times to check.
My guess also...
post #5 of 6 Old 07-15-2020, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
REK2020

Thanks everyone for the responses. I pulled motor and engaged the TC as suggested and so far so good. The TC ended up going back a bit so hoping when reinstall motor, there is more room! Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-18-2020, 11:37 AM
jpin86

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure there isn’t a pilot bushing in the new crank. Your new engine might have had a manual transmission behind it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in