2000 Jeep Wrangler 2.5, 4 cylinder replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 03-29-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
bobelang
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2000 Jeep Wrangler 2.5, 4 cylinder replacement

Looking for any and all advice on an engine replacement. I'm a relative novice when it comes to engine work, so hear me out here.

I've got a 2000 TJ Wrangler with the ol' 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. It recently developed a knocking, and as opposed to diagnosing and attempting to fix whatever is causing the knocking, I'm leaning towards just getting another 4 cylinder crate motor (preferably new) to do a straight swap. I know I know, I've heard it before: the 4 cylinder is a P.O.S slug, and I should just do 6 cylinder upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't have the time, experience, or money for all of that. My thought process is that going from a 4 cylinder to another 4 cylinder will be a good way for me to get my feet wet with more invasive engine work like this.

That being said, I'm looking for any and all advise, references, referrals, ideas, videos, websites, etc. to make sure this goes as well as possible. No one really wastes their time replacing a 4 cylinder with another 4 cylinder, so it's hard to find a lot of videos or guides from people who've done this before. I'm basically looking for any nuance tips that someone who is new to this stuff might not know or pick up on right away.

Also, if you have any references on where to get cheap but good motors, I'm all ears. I'm in the Philadelphia, PA suburb areas, if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance.

Tags
2.5l , 4 cylinder , engine , swap , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in