1999 grand Cherokee engine died. Now making loud rattle 0-25mph - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Asti

1999 grand Cherokee engine died. Now making loud rattle 0-25mph

I'm new on here because I need advice in regards to this issue, so I hope this is an okay board to post this on...
Bought this Jeep in April with a pinhole leak in radiator. Ended up overheating and had to be replaced. Had the oil changed a couple months ago and started noticing a drop on oil pressure at idle, but oil level stayed consistent...i'm including these things in-case they're relevant.
Yesterday it died on me in the middle of the street out of the blue. Within 10 seconds, it began feeling really rough and almost shaky (like it did when the radiator went ka-put), and then I lost all engine power (electrical stayed on). No steam or fluid leakage at all. Couldnt get it to turn over and start back up so I let it sit. 15 mins later it was up and running...checked oil and coolant-all good. 10 mins into driving it, I started hearing this sharp rattling noise in the engine area but only between 0-25 mph. It also made the sound sometimes during idling (but slower-sounding). Dropped it off at the shop as soon as I got home (wasn't sure I would make it from th sound of things), and now they say it's running fine. I'm really concerned that we are missing something and it may die on me whilst on the freeway or something...anyone have any ideas?

Tags
engine , engine knocking , front end noise , loss of power , rattling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in