Tired of being slow.. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 69 Old 04-30-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
alexrule123

2001 XJ Cherokee 

lets see...my xj was about 5k and 2k worth of mods...that is 7k.. how much does that mustang cost?

Quote:
The great thing about UDP jokes is no one cares if you get them or not.
2001 Cherokee Limited:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Damn 5 minutes and im bashed, lol. Read on fellas.

The Stang costed $7,800 bucks, got a good deal on it. Have a little under a grand of my money into go fast parts. Goal is to keep total cost right at or below 10 grand and be well into the 12's without any boost or nitrous.

Its not that I quit on the whole Jeep thing, but I just wanted something that was more practical for my need for speed and carving corners. Hell, even Dino (teh stroker master) just bought a Mustang!!!

'97 XJ... 4.0 4x4 AW4. 2" budget boost w/t-case drop.
31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer ST's on 15x7 Cragar Soft 8's.
Intake, Ported TB, TB spacer, Super 40 Flowmaster.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
post #33 of 69 Old 04-30-2007, 11:31 PM
JoJo97XJ

2,200 for a 6cyl that bare seems like alot of money. Im putting this in my corvette http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350-3...08438231QQrdZ1 and that should put it into the high 12's low 13's. Yes i know it would cost a lot to do the v8 swap, but like ppl have said, 2,500 for a SUV that will run high 14's is alot of cash. just my thoughts

post #34 of 69 Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
alexrule123

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
Damn 5 minutes and im bashed, lol. Read on fellas.

The Stang costed $7,800 bucks, got a good deal on it. Have a little under a grand of my money into go fast parts. Goal is to keep total cost right at or below 10 grand and be well into the 12's without any boost or nitrous.

Its not that I quit on the whole Jeep thing, but I just wanted something that was more practical for my need for speed and carving corners. Hell, even Dino (teh stroker master) just bought a Mustang!!!
I bet you money my jeep handles way better then you could ever imagine...i can take on ramps at 80 - 90 mph...yes it is the scariest thing i have ever experienced but it is possible. I don't want my xj to be the fastest thing at tha track, i want it to be different...everyone has mustangs and corvettes...hell my dad had 3 corvette stingrays

Quote:
A Hesco 4.7 stroker dyno'ed 267hp @ 4700rpm and 332lbft @ 3400rpm at the flywheel. The specs of that engine are in this Yahoo Stroker Group message.
now that is nothing to sneeze at.....

Quote:
HESCO claims 260+ hp and 350+-ft lbs. of torque can be expected from this motor when you install the recommended peripheral equipment
hmm.... sounds like fun to me

Quote:
2001 Cherokee Limited:

post #35 of 69 Old 04-30-2007, 11:41 PM
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not saying it cant man, im sure the sways stiffened it up alot. I remember when mine was bone stock suspension wise I used to drive the hell out of it and it never felt un-stable to me, and it didnt have alot of body roll for an SUV. I imagine with the beefier sways it would track flatter, but its still top heavy at the end of the day.

And I agree 100% about Mustangs, Camaros, TransAms, Corvettes, STi's, SRT4s being really common cars but they are for a reason. Its still possible to make each one individual. I got lucky to nab up a 1 year run package on mine, there arent many others like it.

But im not bashing you or your XJ at all, im just saying make sure you want the sleeper SUV that still has its limitations over something else. And if you do go for it, cause thats badass when done right.

Baja Aux. Lighting.
post #36 of 69 Old 04-30-2007, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
alexrule123

2001 XJ Cherokee 

oh i know about limitations..i try and wheel with 2wd A 14 sec daily driver would be able to whoop up on many cars that drive the streets and that is all i want When i get out of college and make more money faster vehicles will come, plus if i had anything faster than a 14 sec i would probably kill myself within a week and i am sure some nitrous will help me out some too....

Quote:
2001 Cherokee Limited:

post #37 of 69 Old 04-30-2007, 11:57 PM
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah nitrous is fun as hell, and addicting.

If you havent allready, make sure you dont go for a ride in a car with nitrous. Youll be craving it the second your done with the ride, lol.

Baja Aux. Lighting.
post #38 of 69 Old 05-01-2007, 12:50 AM
urban-yan

well I live in Canada so everything costs more. I paid 13K+tax for my 2001 back in 2004. I'm sure there were mustangs in that price-range but I never looked, and here's why:
- I wanted a 4x4 to tackle our Canadian winters,
- I wanted something higher off the ground to handle our gutter roads
- I wanted real trunk space, and
- I wanted something with a classic shape -- nothing sucks more than paying off something that has been redesigned several times before it's paid off. It's one of the reasons I'm fond of my box; it's a classic shape like the Mercedes G-Wagon.

Don't get me wrong, I love speed, but fast cars and winters don't mix.Moreso, having a fast car can lead to some hefty tickets (don't even ask me about my last car lol). Sure, I could-have kept my 1990 XJ so I can buy a sports car, but I didn't feel like driving an unsafe XJ in the winter so I can have a sports car during our short summers. Also, I didn't feel like paying more in car insurance.

Bottom line, I like XJs, I like their utility, and classic shape, I like being different, and I like paying low insurance on one car. Maybe they handle bad, but I have several boxes enrooted that will solve that problem. Maybe they're slow, but honestly a titan stroker is a solid deal for a brand new engine. For the most part, you'll notice that XJ parts are reasonable.

post #39 of 69 Old 05-01-2007, 05:57 AM
Ivanito

1996 ZJ 

I kept trying to find a reason to get rid of mine for a sports car, but I can't seem to. The utility of it is just too great. Oh and my jeep hangs with my gf's eclipse gt till the higher speeds

Addco swaybar for sale

post #40 of 69 Old 05-01-2007, 06:58 AM
rockhopper

Location: /lo-kashen/ a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Having a slow car and a fast car is fun, don't get me wrong. When I had my Grand Cherokee, I also had an Acura NSX for the weekends. However, when you're trying to merge onto the interstate in the XJ, it's hard to run home and grab the Mustang. There's still something to be said for having usable power in your daily driver.

2019 JLUR
1999 TJ
post #41 of 69 Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 AM
mizzouxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
Before you guys spend the dough on a stroker, make SURE it is what you want.

There was a point where I thought my XJ was quick (not sure when a 17 second SUV entered that catagory, lol), and I wanted to build a stroker for it.

Then I realized I would be sinking in at least 2k into the engine and other supporting parts only to have something that would have trouble running quicker than a mid/high 14, still get horrible gas mileage, still handle like a pig, and be totally tapped out for power unless I sunk more and more money into it.

So I decided to keep the XJ as the off road toy, tinker with it when I can and buy something that is/is meant to be fast right out of the box.

I know this place is full of Mustang haters, but oh well... nothing like an opportunity to whore some pics, lol.

The car now has Bullitt wheels on it, deep dish 10.5" out back and it will melt the 315/35/17's right off of the wheel.

Lazy/no traction accel run... http://videos.streetfire.net/video/w...0f00e35ec0.htm

and now the XJ... listen for the chirp on the 1-2 shift, lol. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/w...0f00e3789a.htm

now that ive whored some pics and video I feel better.

What im trying to say is, im all for a quick street or trail XJ, but just make sure you KNOW that its STILL a Cherokee at the end of the day, and its lacking in many departments that cant be cured. If you want it, freegin go for it and make sure to post pics and vids of accel runs and utter tire destruction.
Sorry had to do it...You wanted something fast so you bought a mustang... ...03 or 04 Cobra are the only one's worth buying, otherwise you should stay away...

2000 White XJ Sport | 2" Rough Country | 15x8 Eagle Alloys Series 187, 30x9.50 Dayton Timberline A/Ts | Carr Light Barr w/ 4 KC 100W 69 series | Custom Tube Bumpers from my old XJ | Complete Rockford Fosgate Sound System with Alpine Headunit

post #42 of 69 Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 AM
SoloCamo

Should have bought an LS1 if you want cheap speed
post #43 of 69 Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
alexrule123

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo
Should have bought an LS1 if you want cheap speed
If i could i would put an ls1 in my xj....

Quote:
2001 Cherokee Limited:

post #44 of 69 Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Ivanito

1996 ZJ 

You can, it just takes money...

And NSXs are awesome! I want one, but then I would have to live in it

Addco swaybar for sale

post #45 of 69 Old 05-01-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
alexrule123

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragisco
You can, it just takes money...

And NSXs are awesome! I want one, but then I would have to live in it
and time......

Quote:
2001 Cherokee Limited:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in