SRT8 budget project - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-30-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
MoparGav

SRT8 budget project

Im planning on getting 1999-2006 Grand Cherokee with 4.7 or 5.7 hemi. But turning it into SRT8 replica. I know I have to get a lowering kit, Body kit and other things. But should I get a Laredo or limited trim package as a blank canvas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-19-2019, 05:02 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

It really depends on how much money you want to spend and what your ultimate goals are. Many folks have SRT'ized 3.7 Laredos, but they're still "low" performance vehicles that look like cool hot rod Jeeps. A little over 9 years ago, I picked up an 06 Overland Hemi and decided to do what you're planning. I usually keep my vehicles almost forever, so the price of mods. wasn't an issue for me, plus I've been doing it slowly for nearly the full nine years. Also, since I got a good deal on my Jeep (paid about $18K for it when they were going for $24-25K), the modding was a little more palatable to the wife. You can see in my signature below approximately what all I've done. The mods. were also done in about the order they're in in the signature. Since, when I bought the Jeep, I also had another Hemi vehicle (05 Hemi Dodge Magnum), I decided to mod. them almost exactly the same. When I would do a mod. to one (usually the Jeep first), I'd soon thereafter do the same mod. to the Magnum. The pix below will show you the finished products, as now I've just began working on an 06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 that I bought from my Grandson. Don't know if the wife will let me keep it long term though, so I am going real slow right now and just doing cosmetic and small things that it needs. So far, everything on it is completely stock.

Here are the pix of all three:
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3032 (1077 x 808).jpg   P6210057resized.jpg  
Attached Images

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-20-2019, 08:40 AM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparGav View Post
Im planning on getting 1999-2006 Grand Cherokee with 4.7 or 5.7 hemi. But turning it into SRT8 replica. I know I have to get a lowering kit, Body kit and other things. But should I get a Laredo or limited trim package as a blank canvas.
Are you on a limited budget now? The reason I ask is that WK1 SRT’s don’t cost what they used to, especially 06-07’s. Also, for an SRT8 replica, you need to stick to the WK1, which is 05+, I believe.

My $.02: I think you’d be better off just buying an SRT and doing maintenance on it than spending money to change body panels, paint them, buy/install different springs, struts, shocks, and wheels. It would look good after all that work, but wouldn’t be as fun.

08 Silver GC SRT•Ported Heads•CAI•Kooks•Corsa•Diablo CMR•H&R Springs
19 StingGray GC TH•5.7•Stock

Last edited by gspfunk; 02-20-2019 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added info

post #4 of 4 Old 02-20-2019, 09:00 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

When I bought my 5.7 Jeep I already owned the 5.7 Magnum, both of course with the Multi-Displacement System (MDS). That's when I decided to build both and keep them MDS friendly, with a goal of somewhat more performance and particularly a little better fuel economy. One thing kept leading to another and I ended up where they are today.....about 120-140 hp. more than stock (both run better than the SRT I bought from my Grandson), and about 25% better fuel economy than when they were stock. The Jeep routinely gets 21-23 mpg on the highway (about the same as stock in town because I can't keep my foot out of it) and the Magnum routinely gets 28-30 mpg on the highway and about 15-16 around town. I have the cams advanced in both of those to move the power/torque curves to a slightly lower RPM. I also run the Jeep in 4th gear on the highway, up to about 70 mph before it shifts to 5th. These setups have seemed to work real well for me.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in