• 1 Post By biffgnar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
blue968
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pocket Rivet style flares and wheels

Hi Guys,

Looking for a for a couple opinions

I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and I just installed a 3" Suspension lift.

Question 1- I would like to get opinions on a good quality Pocket Rivet Style flares. I checked e-bay and there are so many different brands and prices so hopefully some can recommend a good set for a good price, but would rather pay a little more for a better quality.

Question 2 - With the installed flares as described above I am going to buy a set of Work 803 18" wheels, having said that I would like them to stick out of the fender flares about an inch or so.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-11-2017, 12:44 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

post #3 of 7 Old 03-11-2017, 12:47 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Would you like me to move this thread to the Street Jeep forum? I dont think you're going to be happy with the reception here.
Mattific likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-11-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
blue968
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I apologize if I put my question in the wrong section, to answer your question yes please
Thank you
post #5 of 7 Old 03-11-2017, 01:08 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to street jeep forum. Traffic is a little lighter here so you may not get as many responses, but the flames would have come out in TJ Tech on this one. Here you should at least get fair answers.

As to your question, Bushwhackers are probably most well known pocket flares but there are plenty of knock offs. All of them tend to be fairly brittle and prone to cracking. And most of them actually reduce clearances when it comes to travel/flex. So you aren't going to see them much on jeeps that get off roared.

For tire size I'm not sure I've ever seen 18s on a TJ. 15/16 was OEM and most have a preference for 15 for tire sizes 35 and under. 35 and above you'll see 17s. 18s are going to ride like crap, have limited sidewall for grip if off-road and will be more prone to damage.

If you are cool with all that, buy whatever you like. Jeeps can be built many ways and owners have different goals and ideas.

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 03-11-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Minor typo correction
post #6 of 7 Old 03-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

X2, all of the pocket flares I have seen were so brittle that they cracked and broke way too easily. Bushwhacker is the most well known manufacturer of them and they have become known as "Bushcracker" due to how easily their pocket flares crack & break.

X2 on the 18" wheel size comment too. I wouldn't run that size wheel on a Jeep unless I was running something like 40" diameter tires. For smaller size tires it'll mark your Jeep as a mall crawler, not to mention the extra-rough ride from the reduced sidewall on the tire from that much wheel.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-11-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
blue968
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great advice, Thank you!!!
I will definitely reconsider my choice of wheel/tire size

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in