JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   "Why didn't you get a REAL Jeep?" (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/why-didnt-you-get-real-jeep-46987/)

EricsXJ 08-11-2003 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyC
I have to agree with S&S here, you XJ owners are bashing the KJ...

Go back and read. This is not a KJ bashing thread, nor is it a thread tha bashes other types of jeeps (until S&S butted in with his drivel, and now you...) This thread is about NON-jeep owners not having a clue about what qualifies as a "JEEP". :rolleyes:

BrianXJ 08-11-2003 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricsXJ
Go back and read. This is not a KJ bashing thread, nor is it a thread tha bashes other types of jeeps (until S&S butted in with his drivel, and now you...) This thread is about NON-jeep owners not having a clue about what qualifies as a "JEEP". :rolleyes:

Well, I'm sure glad that someone takes time and actually reads all of the posts. Maybe thats an XJ wheeler thing?

90lerado 08-11-2003 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyC
I have to agree with S&S here, you XJ owners are bashing the KJ, but in my opinion the XJ is as much a 'soccer mum, grocery getter' as the KJ is.

It is quite annoying when you guys block the trails with those station wagons and ruin the fun for us, please stay on the road or dirt tracks where the XJ is designed for and let the real stuff to us.

If you are wondering, it is a modified 1942 Willy's.

Please don't take it personal.
It is a Jeep thing.

the truth? yes an XJ is a station wagon, but that goes with anything that has 4 doors and a cargo area, if a wrangler had 4 doors it to would be a station wagon, now if you can find me another station wagon that can go through what the xj can id be very happy to see it, now in the meantime a willys technically wouldnt be a real jeep as the company jeep wasnt started when willys came out :D so now who has the real jeep the one that says willys on it or the one that says jeep cherokee

haha i love loop holes!

Junk101 07-04-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Hey s&s, since you can judge a Jeep by it's appearance then I've got a few Jeeps for you. When's the last time you saw a DJ or Surry on the trail? They both have a "traditional" Jeep appearance. If you were a real "Jeeper" you would know that both of those Jeep models were produced as 2WD vehicles.
S&S, I'd really like the chance to wheel with and show you what a "real" Jeep can do. And hey I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from using such language (Dodo) after all my children read here with me occasionally.
You know that when the YJ was introduced all those CJ owners scoffed and called it a "Yuppy Jeep". Well with the proper mods it can wheel with any other Jeep, even my Ford Dodo. Just goes to show ya that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Just to let you know, a Dodo was a non flying bird which is extinct since the 1700's, what you are thinking of is in your wife's dresser.:wave:

Bgeddes 07-04-2006 10:28 AM

Well I have either 4 Jeeps or one depending on your opinion. I own a '44 MB, '88 YJ, '00 XJ, '05 KJ. I don't wheel anything but the YJ. I absolutley love the XJ, the wife drives the KJ (about 500 miles per tank in town). Soooo, either you say they quit making real jeeps in '44 and the rest are civilian copies, or the are all real jeeps.

On a side note for Star&Stripes and JimmyC, perhaps you should have more than 3 posts before you go bad mouthing other folks' rigs.

gregmondro 07-04-2006 10:46 AM

I didn't get a "real jeep" because I wanted a real back cargo area to stretch out and do dirty things to S&S and JimmyC's significant others.

duh

:P

tvisXJ 07-04-2006 11:17 AM

I get the same crap. A couple of recent times stick out in my mind. I use my camera phone to my advantage and show them it's not a "soccer mom" vehicle. :rolleyes:
I have this pic on my phone. It shuts them up quick.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...006/th_hh1.jpg

"Yes kids, I take mine off road. It's not like your pavement pounding disco wheeler." hah!

tvisXJ 07-04-2006 11:22 AM

Another thing....

When I brought my Jeep home the first day, I brought it over to my neighbor/friends house. I went inside and told them that they need to come outside to see my new "project." (This was when my XJ was sittin on bald 215's, fender flares, mud flaps, white wheels, faded paint etc). They come out and look at it. Them.. "Where is it?" Me pointing "right there". Them "WTF is that?" "You're kidding right?" I said "no I'm not" "just wait and see... this things gonna kick *** someday" They didn't believe me, and thought it was a POS.

Months later down the line, and a few wheeling trips, now my friend wants one. haha

ChewyXJ 07-04-2006 11:35 AM

Holy ancient thread. I remember this one from when I first started visiting this site. http://abestweb.com/smilies/captain.gif

XJ99 07-04-2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montana xj
Holy ancient thread. I remember this one from when I first started visiting this site. http://abestweb.com/smilies/captain.gif

LOL! BTW, thanks for the new smilie! :laugh:

RynoXJ 07-05-2006 09:47 AM

That drives me crazy. The only thing I hate more than that is people that think every SUV is a jeep.

Razor. 07-05-2006 10:14 AM

With the new doorless mod, I get this comment a millions times more.
Person: Why are your doors off?
Me: It's a Jeep, and Jeeps are cool like that
Person: Yeah, but it's not a Jeep Jeep
Me: What isn't "Jeep" about it?
Person: Well, it can't drive up rocks and stuff.
*I whip out my..... Camera phone.* (Moab Pics)
Me: See, mine can roll with any Jeep Jeep. Mine is every bit as capable as its brothers.
Person: Whoa, you are frickin' nuts!

I hate that stupid term... "Jeep Jeep"
:laugh:

ScotZ 07-05-2006 10:28 AM

Why all the hate. Most peoples first image of a Jeep is from an old military movie that featured the first Jeep (Ford or Willy's MJ,please dont bring up Bantam). THey did not own one just knew what they were. As the Jeep evolved that original image stayed in peoples mind. I have owned some sort of Jeep since the late 70's. The best stock offroader I had was an 88 xj but when someone says Jeep. I still think of an MJ type relative(cj,yj or tj). Dont get your panties in a bunch , as long as its a Jeep its good:D

beep_beep_jeep 07-05-2006 10:30 AM

My XJ carries more: People,cargo,friends,stuff,Things,speakers,and i dont freeze my ***off in the winter and plus we have window wings! Tell them to get a clue!

David K. 07-05-2006 10:54 AM

I own a YJ and XJ. I think if I were to only own 1 it would be the YJ. Not because it can do more or less, have more doors ect... I think I would keep just that one because the top and doors come off so easily. That is what a lot of people think is so cool about the jeep and that is why some people think that it is the "real" Jeep.

Further, the only time I tell people "that isn't a real Jeep" is when someone would have a zuki or the like and call it a Jeep.

XJ99 07-05-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScotZ
Most peoples first image of a Jeep is from an old military movie that featured the first Jeep (Ford or Willy's MJ,please dont bring up Bantam).

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...man/bantam.htm http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Jokes/shh.gif

russkrs 07-05-2006 11:36 AM

You guys just need some wider tires... nobody gives me any crap! ;)

I didn't get a real jeep, because mine was origionally intended to be a family car that would be capable of handling the logging roads we take to go camping... Now that my wife got a new car... this is just the vehicle capable of handling the logging roads... the family thing went out the door.

ScotZ 07-05-2006 11:47 AM

:rofl: :rofl: Yeah I know they made a great Jeep, but they didnt have the facilities to get the military contract. If it wasnt for Bantam perhaps none of us would be driving a Jeep.:rofl: :rofl: Thanks for the link:wave:

Chuck Cook 07-05-2006 11:49 AM

I tell them a Cherokee is for real 4 wheeling and Wranglers are for cheerleaders to drive around town. Chuck

XJ99 07-05-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russkrs
You guys just need some wider tires... nobody gives me any crap! ;)

I didn't get a real jeep, because mine was origionally intended to be a family car that would be capable of handling the logging roads we take to go camping... Now that my wife got a new car... this is just the vehicle capable of handling the logging roads... the family thing went out the door.

LOL, my XJ is the family car as well. It also see's Uwharrie, and other cool trails. I like to think the XJ is the "versatile Jeep" :D

BTW, I just drove 675 miles (1 way) down to visit my Dad for the 4th. When I get back we will be heading out to Uwharrie once again. :cool:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...s/DSCF8016.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...s/DSCF8015.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../XJthingDC.jpg

:banana:

XJ99 07-05-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

:rofl: :rofl: Yeah I know they made a great Jeep, but they didnt have the facilities to get the military contract. If it wasnt for Bantam perhaps none of us would be driving a Jeep.:rofl: :rofl: Thanks for the link:wave:

The History channel had a great documentary on the Jeep. :thumbsup:

I actually recorded it, and watched it on the way down to Florida when the wife was driving.

(note to self: I should always drive) :laugh: :rofl: J/K (not really) :p

stikman 07-05-2006 02:28 PM

Just had to say that S&S strikes me as the kind of guy who when he was a kid liked to poke a sticks at bee's nests and the like. Well, he got the same result @JF. IMO comments like that just show how ignorant this guy is and don't warrant a response. But he sure got the bees @ JF buzzin'

90lerado 07-05-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Cook
I tell them a Cherokee is for real 4 wheeling and Wranglers are for cheerleaders to drive around town. Chuck

you got a point...anyone wanna trade there wrangler for a cherokee?? lol

XJ4oh 07-05-2006 02:49 PM

Id rather have my Cherokee over any other model Jeep for a few reasons.

Why I wouldnt want a YJ/TJ: Too small for me for one, also no room to store stuff. They seem a little too open for my tastes. With the soft tops they are easy as crap to break into, the hard tops seem a little better but im not sure as to how well they would seal off the eliments. Yeah, they are awesome when it comes to wheeling, but they just arent practical enough for a DD IMO.

Why I didnt choose a ZJ/WJ: This would be my next choice after an XJ, probaly a ZJ though. But, They are a little more civilized than the XJ's I think. They have more room which is a bonus. But they dont seem as reliable as an XJ from what ive seen, and they seem to lack some of the out of the box offroad capability that the XJ's have. One bonus I see is having a nice sized V-8 under the hood.

Why I wouldnt want a KJ: Its the Poodle of Jeeps. If Im buying a Jeep I want a proven solid front axle 4x4 with history behind it. Not an urban pavement mobile with IFS and a minivan engine.

Why I wouldnt want a WK: Same as the KJ, only slightly better. If I bought one it would be an SRT-8 WK only.

Why I couldnt have an MJ: No extended cab, end of story.

Why the XJ is perfect for me: Its got the essentials of a great 4x4. Solid front axle, good ground clearance stock, its not too big, not too small, just right for those narrower trails and still long and wide enough to help out in other situations. I feel they are among the more reliable Jeep models for sure. The 4.0 and auto tranny's are a perfect match for eachother, not to mention probaly the most durable engine/tranny combo out of all the models above. There is enough space inside for me to haul stuff and people around at the same time. Some other things aswell, but all in all it adds up to what I want/need in an SUV. They are also easy to work on, and most parts come cheap compared to some of the other models. That definatly is a bonus to me. To me (and this is a personal thing) they look the best also.

ScotZ 07-05-2006 02:55 PM

The reason I have my present YJ is because my daughter wanted a "top off car daddy" That was 14 years ago:rofl: She is 18 now.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com 07-05-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

The reason I have my present YJ is because my daughter wanted a "top off car daddy" That was 14 years ago:rofl:

That's the coolest thing I've read all week. :)

jld 07-05-2006 06:37 PM

remember the Jeep Wave

Don't care what kind of Jeep you drive, remember to wave.

http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/jeepwave/:wave:

mingoglia 07-05-2006 07:17 PM

For those of you with XJ/ZJ's and also a flattie/cj/yj/tj I wonder if there's a bumper sticker that says, "My other Jeep is a Jeep". Then you could slap it on and be done with it.

Bgeddes 07-05-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

minivan engine
Your Minivan has a Diesel?

tvisXJ 07-05-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Cook

:rofl:

That is the case at times

XJ4oh 07-05-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bgeddes
Your Minivan has a Diesel?

Haha, no... I was reffering to the V-6.

Im not a minivan person, lol.

cherokee99spt 07-05-2006 10:39 PM

I almost killed someone at work today. Person A asks me what type of car I have and Person B chimes in by saying one of those little 4 cylinder Cherokees. I subsequently flip out and explain what an I-L 6 cyl is and how it would own his little maxima. 4 CYLINDER?? OMG

BTW this othe rkid at work has a grand cherokee and we both always park in this big muddy mess at work. Its awesome!

XJ4oh 07-05-2006 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee99spt
I almost killed someone at work today. Person A asks me what type of car I have and Person B chimes in by saying one of those little 4 cylinder Cherokees. I subsequently flip out and explain what an I-L 6 cyl is and how it would own his little maxima. 4 CYLINDER?? OMG

BTW this othe rkid at work has a grand cherokee and we both always park in this big muddy mess at work. Its awesome!

4cyl's were an option in XJ's you know...:D

But it pisses me off when people speak for me, about my vehicles... dunno why, but it irks me. So I know how you feel.

balloo93 07-06-2006 12:19 AM

Quote:

The reason I have my present YJ is because my daughter wanted a "top off car daddy" That was 14 years ago:rofl: She is 18 now.

The day one of my boys says that, the sawzaw and grider are coming out!!!! :rofl:

JoJo97XJ 07-06-2006 12:23 AM

Quote:

The day one of my boys says that, the sawzaw and grider are coming out!!!!
thats too funny:rofl: :rofl:

saxj 07-06-2006 06:05 AM

You think XJ guys are touchy, try telling a Suzuki owner that he drives a Jeep!

tvisXJ 07-06-2006 06:50 AM

Okay okay..... so it's not a "Jeep" Jeep, but damnit.... it still is a Jeep, and many of us get offended when we get categorized as "just an SUV/Wagon", and when people say we're not driving a Jeep. Or, they'll have the balls to say that XJ's aren't very capable... stock or built. That just makes me laugh. I know I've surprised people with the capabilities of my light built Jeep XJ.

Buntaluffigus 07-06-2006 10:08 AM

I drive a lifted station wagon.:cool:

Feel the love.

Xj'sR'Creamy 07-06-2006 11:51 AM

I....just....don't....care....:wave:

y-townxj 07-06-2006 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xj'sR'Creamy
I....just....don't....care....:wave:

same here, I am changeing all of the emblems on my xj to land cruizer ones because, if you dont no jeeps you cant tell what it is, and also to get guys pissed that are way to concerned about there rig being a jeep. ''As long as you can have fun in it who guys a F'' :thumbsup:

The time now is 04:29 PM.