JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   "Why didn't you get a REAL Jeep?" (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/why-didnt-you-get-real-jeep-46987/)

JoeHo 08-02-2003 07:30 PM

"Why didn't you get a REAL Jeep?"

Since I've gotten my XJ, I have had conversations similar to the following with more than one of my friends:

Them: "Where's the new Jeep?"
Me: "Its right there, the green one."
Them: "That isn't a Jeep!"
Me: "Yes it is, its a Jeep Cherokee."
Them: "Jeeps are the ones where you can take the top off and all that."
Me: "That's a Wrangler, I got a Cherokee. Its still a Jeep."
Them: "I guess, but its not a REAL Jeep, not a JEEP Jeep."
Me: *shakes head in frustration* "Ok."

If this happens one more time I'm going to slam somebody's face into the Jeep insignia.

ChrisinVA 08-02-2003 07:42 PM

Tell them they're mistaken, the KJ is the one they're thinking of.

Boooo...hissss....just kidding!

Swamp Boy 08-02-2003 07:58 PM

Ignore them they are idiots... MY grand will go damn near anywhere that a wrangler will go and I get the same crap..
Until they see it off road then they go ..."wow man that is awesome" and I just say .. "Well its a Jeep, what did you expect.."

Kee-Kee 08-02-2003 08:21 PM

i guess xj's are not a jeep jeep for normal people. i mean, whenever someone mentioned jeep, i always thought of the wrangler, but i still knew there were other jeep models. not until i got smart/educated about xj's did i change my thoughts. those kids are just not educated. don't worry about it. yeah, i like the idea about the kj, or try this: ohh, yeah, i know, i was looking at a jeep, but decided to go with this xj. Xj makes some really good offroad vehicles, because they are from europe. just my stupid little thoughts.

ecrab3 08-02-2003 08:48 PM

True dat yall, true dat. Hell, I have a ZJ and a XJ, and I even want a Jeep Jeep :-) In this case, its more of the open top feature 1st, and the offroad capabilities 2nd. A jeep jeep to me is better than any old convertable, besides, the wife agrees and eventually I will get a CJ or something like that soon, that is if Swampboy doesnt beat me to the deal!:p

try and ignore those comments, or agree with them and ask them to take a ride with you sometime and they will change thier mind :D

isezumi00 08-02-2003 10:40 PM

Schema: The resulting image/conclusion created by applying a series of characteristics and attributes in order to categorize actions or objects, often broad generalizations...

Example: The Jeep Wrangler is what fits the average persons schema of what a Jeep should look like.

bigbadbrad 08-02-2003 10:46 PM

WHATTTTT!!

Tell them they dont know the deal. I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a 6.5" lift running 33" mudders locked in the rear. And i have put some of my wrangler friends to shame on the trails.

xjeeper04 08-03-2003 12:41 AM

i get the same thing.....makes me want to swearv into a a pole it makes me that mad. But i know i can wheel better that a "real jeep"

daveleau 08-03-2003 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisinVA
Tell them they're mistaken, the KJ is the one they're thinking of.

Boooo...hissss....just kidding!

:lol:

That is exactly what I was thinking though. :D

EricsXJ 08-03-2003 02:23 AM

You see these people just aren't educated in the ways of jeep. To them all they see is shapes and sizes. Wrangler is short (wheelbase), has a removeable top and roll bar. This computes as a "jeep" in their very limited ways of thinking. Now an XJ is a bit bigger, and looks like one of them EsYouVees so its basically a big car (but cooler because EsYouVees are better than cars) :D

You could try to educate them but your attempts may be futile...

In any case, don't let it bother you, just continue to call your XJ a "jeep" as in "I think I'll drive the Jeep to work today" and if people look at you weird, just smile! :D

And of course, the more you mod it, the more people will call it a jeep, rig, beast, etc. Remember - shapes and sizes!!!

XJ99 08-03-2003 09:12 AM

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That's funny! People don't know what Jeeps are!

Quote:

Them: "That isn't a Jeep!"
Ask "THEM:" If they can read! Unless you peeled the emblems off I'm sure it says Jeep on a couple of differnet places on your rig.

Also the other day my wife was telling me this story on how all the other girls at work were "going to drive their Jeeps" in the next day. She asked them what kind of "Jeeps" they had? They told here "Suzuki Samurai" and a "Hyundai Sante Fe". When she told me the story I was ROTFLMFAO!!! She didn't know what to say. So JoeHo just be glad you know the difference between a Jeep and a Hyundai! :cool:

90lerado 08-03-2003 09:57 AM

tell them they can play follow the leader in anything they have go through some mud and show them what a jeep is all about. o and bring some towstraps for "them" lol

LOCKED UP 08-03-2003 10:40 AM

.... next time just slap em around a little till they figure it out.

XJ has been around since before the YJ. So unless its a CJ, or Ford GPW or whatever, we've been around here longer. Next time you are driving around, count how many Wranglers you see compared to XJs. Then the next time out, count how many total Jeeps you see and figure out how many are Wranglers.... I bet you'll be surprised. I see a lot more non-Wranglers around here...

Last night we had one of my Fiancees friends over to our house, our Maid of Honor actually. She told me my "Bronco" had gotten a lot bigger since the last time she had seen it. I just said "Uh, huh". The Finacee then corrected her :D

Yeah I had a Bronco before the XJ ... but other than both of them being black, with 33" BFGs, and a Warn on a black bumper, with lights everywhere .... they look nothing alike ;)

basalt51 08-04-2003 11:41 AM

I'm sure they are the same kinda people that think my landcruiser is a Jeep Jeep. Don't worry about it. My Dad has a TJ and as I was building up my XJ he kept telling me how I wasn't going to be able to go all the places he could.

Well guess who was pulling who out of places? And who was walking over everything?

Here's a hint: Not the TJ.

Another thing - I actually have a tighter turning radius than he does. Not sure why, but so much for the "you need a short wheelbase to do that trail" crap.

You know you drive a real Jeep. Just be content seeing everybodies dumb-founded looks when they realize YOU are driving the REAL Jeep, not them :D

erikrs301 08-04-2003 11:50 AM

Shorty Owner: "I can't believe you guys get those short-busses through these trails."

...yea, and I went over all the stuff you went around too

:rolleyes:

Stars&stripes 08-08-2003 03:12 AM

So why didn't you get a real Jeep?

The XJ is ok off road and only if you lift the hell out of them and spend
a lot of money on them they are any good, but the same counts for many other brands of 4x4.
The XJ does not even look like a Jeep, it looks more like an ugly Ford from the seventies, and every time I see one I think "bowling nerd".

I'm following this Forum for several months now and the only thing I read is about you guy's jelling at everybody that the XJ is a real Jeep.
Even a 2wd KJ is more a Jeep than the XJ ever has been, simply by looking like one.
If it doesn't look like a Jeep and it doesn't wheel like a Jeep, what is it?

So it must be fake.

Personally I think the XJ was a big mistake and they should have named it Dodge Dodo, ugly and terminated.

So why didn't you buy a real Jeep?

Oh by the way I own a real Jeep, a 87 Wrangler 4.2L 6Cyl.

XJ99 08-08-2003 06:03 AM

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1...3/28880804.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1...3/28880735.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1...3/26823904.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1...3/26823895.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1...3/26823727.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1...3/26823717.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1...3/26823708.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1...3/26823703.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1...3/28880422.jpg

Just me Wheeling in my fake non modified JEEP ..... .. . :)

BrianXJ 08-08-2003 06:52 AM

Stars, stfu and go else where. Until you own both a Cherokee and a Wrangler, don't act like you can compare the two. I owned a Wrangler, 92 YJ 4.0L, and probably wouldn't have gotten rid of it, but then I crashed it. I then bought an XJ, and let me just tell you, it has its advantages, and surely irs disadvantages also, as every car does, but its as much of a Jeep as any Jeep out there. As it has been stated before, only the CJ predates the Cherokee. Call that a real Jeep if you may, I don't think anyone will disagree, but the Cherokee is one tough-as-nails Jeep, yes I said Jeep.

OlllllllO 08-08-2003 07:18 AM

what the hell's your problem?? my first jeep was a cherokee and it was just as capable as the wrangler i have now. and less capable than a 2wd KJ, i don't think so. people never cease to amaze me

Jeeprage 08-08-2003 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars&stripes

a lot of money on them they are any good, but the same counts for many other brands of 4x4.
The XJ does not even look like a Jeep, it looks more like an ugly Ford from the seventies, and every time I see one I think "bowling nerd".

I'm following this Forum for several months now and the only thing I read is about you guy's jelling at everybody that the XJ is a real Jeep.
Even a 2wd KJ is more a Jeep than the XJ ever has been, simply by looking like one.

So it must be fake.

Personally I think the XJ was a big mistake and they should have named it Dodge Dodo, ugly and terminated.

I'm pretty sure many argue the Wrangler isn't a real Jeep. CJ is usually thought of as THE jeep. Having an 87 is nothing to be proud of; the transmission is a POS among other great innovations such as a carb. I've had a handfull of Jeeps and cars, and came back to the Cherokee. Rides well, coils in the front are great, lots of space. I would never buy a Wrangler again, and will only buy a CJ-7 again when I have the space to store it for summer use only.

Grow Up. You can't be much older than your Real Jeep.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com 08-08-2003 09:46 AM

Quote:

So it must be fake.

Wow, ignorance is everywhere, even in Texas I guess. YOU! Out of the gene pool! :rolleyes:

Blake O 08-08-2003 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brcomputer
Last night we had one of my Fiancees friends over to our house, our Maid of Honor actually. She told me my "Bronco" had gotten a lot bigger since the last time she had seen it. I just said "Uh, huh". The Finacee then corrected her :D

Man BR thats true love

Hang on to that one! :)

basalt51 08-08-2003 09:55 AM

Quote:

Even a 2wd KJ is more a Jeep than the XJ ever has been

Your words speak for themselves. Try actually going offroad sometime, and I don't mean NF dirt roads.

basalt51 08-08-2003 10:00 AM

LOL stars go home. Even the wrangler guys think your an idiot:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47618

erikrs301 08-08-2003 10:29 AM

Quote:

BWHAHAHAHAHA, an 87 YJ, that's vintage, thanks, I needed a good laugh

Why didn't yew buy a real Jeep, ya know a CJ.

90lerado 08-08-2003 10:33 AM

stars how many times are you going to place the same post in different forums. The Xj is better offroad most of the time than the kj (kj was made to be more of an onroad vehical) and as far as xj vs wrangler/cj there both strong in certain conditions. no as far as the xj not being a real jeep, does that make the grand cherokee a fake jeep, if so that would make the kj a fake jeep also because it dosnt have a solid axle or the I6 thats found in alot of jeeps. so therefore that leaves the wrangler as the only jeep in production that can still be considered a jeep. however if you want to get real technical there has only been one real jeep and that would be the one originally made by the bantom company so your also driving a fake jeep because you dont have an ax and a shovel on the side of your "fake jeep" and you donthave a 4 cylinder engine and you dont have a backup crank start so beforeyou start bashing xj owners cause they "dont have a real jeep" then take a look at your jeep and if it says bantom upfront then you got a real jeep if not then you dont so shut up and stop bashin it

yes i am reposting this from the kj forum because i wrote it and i think its relevent haha and theres nothing you can do :p

AussieXJ 08-08-2003 11:10 AM

Gee...what a thread!

I am very happy that I own a Jeep. I have driven my fair share of vehicles in the 26 years I've been driving, and I have to say that my JEEP is the toughest thing on wheels.

Last Saturday I arrived home at 4:30am after a business trip to Kansas. On the 80 mile drive home from the airport, oil started to REALLY p**s out of the rear main, the water pump bearings completely collapsed and I swear that the rear axle bearings are shot to hell, but she did 65mph all the way home and the temp gauge never went over 210.

(Needless to say Baby is now at the Doctors!)

Daimler/Chrysler may leave a lot to be desired in some respects, but the XJ Cherokee has to have a place in US automative history as one of the greatest success stories!

Hail to the JEEP XJ

RedJeepXJ 08-08-2003 11:41 AM

Quote:

So it must be fake.

maybe in your hanging out in a parking lot wanna be jeeper friends, If you had ever gone offroad (more then a dirt road and/or mud puddles) you would know the difference

the KJ's are a cute-ute, I'm glad I have an XJ instead, they are often underestimated, and people assume becuase it has doors and a roof that somehow makes it less offroadable, even when mine was stock it would go just about anywhere

basalt51 08-08-2003 12:39 PM

Quote:

Oh I can't get enough of this. He's been a member for less than a day. I guess this thread pushed the final buton for him and he had to register and defend his beloved YJ.

And it took him less than a day to get Banned! Woohoo!

XJ_Chris_99 08-08-2003 02:58 PM

simply put
the XJ is a Jeep and a Half

b(k)ill94xj 08-08-2003 10:39 PM

hey maybe while stars and stripes was complaining about XJ's not being real jeeps he realized his "V6" Yj wasnt jeepy enough for him so he bought a honda civic (just so that anyone decides that im bashing honda civics im not so dont even start that fight) .... all i can say to him is to get a life really, everyone has there on opinion, yes somtimes cj/yj/tj 's are better then XJ and somtimes Xj are better what it all comes down to is what osin54 said over in the Yj forum thread about this, the name thats written on the front... JEEP

RUparrothead 08-08-2003 11:29 PM

i've had people ask me why i didnt buy a real jeep. i just simply tell them to go for a little ride through the woods with me. when its all said and done....they know the stock xj is a real jeep.

rick

Ckwake135 08-09-2003 12:27 AM

Not to long ago i pulled over to the side of the road and was lookin at this Yota for sale, it has 33s and looked like something you would wheel. Theres this lady thats probably in her 50s that shows up and shes lookin at it and called the phone number and wanted to test drive it so i ask her "are you going to wheel it?" and she says oh my husband will. I said oh thats cool i like to 4wheel, she says oh what do you drive. I said a Jeep, she says a "JEEP JEEP" and i said yeah its a "JEEP JEEP" it says jeep on the front and back of it and I pointed at my XJ proudly and she looks at me and goes "oh, thats not what i meant." I just laughed and walked off.

wndrlst 08-10-2003 10:17 PM

Hey s&s, since you can judge a Jeep by it's appearance then I've got a few Jeeps for you. When's the last time you saw a DJ or Surry on the trail? They both have a "traditional" Jeep appearance. If you were a real "Jeeper" you would know that both of those Jeep models were produced as 2WD vehicles.
S&S, I'd really like the chance to wheel with and show you what a "real" Jeep can do. And hey I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from using such language (Dodo) after all my children read here with me occasionally.
You know that when the YJ was introduced all those CJ owners scoffed and called it a "Yuppy Jeep". Well with the proper mods it can wheel with any other Jeep, even my Ford Dodo. Just goes to show ya that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

JimmyC 08-11-2003 03:49 AM

I have to agree with S&S here, you XJ owners are bashing the KJ, but in my opinion the XJ is as much a 'soccer mum, grocery getter' as the KJ is.

It is quite annoying when you guys block the trails with those station wagons and ruin the fun for us, please stay on the road or dirt tracks where the XJ is designed for and let the real stuff to us.

If you are wondering, it is a modified 1942 Willy's.

Please don't take it personal.
It is a Jeep thing.

XJ99 08-11-2003 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyC
I have to agree with S&S here, you XJ owners are bashing the KJ, but in my opinion the XJ is as much a 'soccer mum, grocery getter' as the KJ is.

It is quite annoying when you guys block the trails with those station wagons and ruin the fun for us, please stay on the road or dirt tracks where the XJ is designed for and let the real stuff to us.

It is a Jeep thing.

Here is a link to the road test on the KJ:

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/J...erty/Index.htm

Comparable models in this class: Chevrolet Tracker, Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Subaru Forester, Nissan Xterra, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Kia Sportage ...

BTW, I never bashed the KJ. I just didn't want a cute ute. To each his own.

RedJeepXJ 08-11-2003 09:35 AM

Quote:

It is a Jeep thing.

the xj is used a lot by soccer moms but it is less then the kj, since the kj is now the "in" jeep with that crowd

as for blocking the trails, how many have you seen blocking the trails?? (non forest service jeep cherokees)

as for the kj vs. xj we've gone over this before the IFS (KJ) is designed for onroad and dirt roads, where as the solid axle is designed for real trails

at least know your stuff before posting, it is your first post so I'm wondering if you are S&S and just got a new S/N

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com 08-11-2003 09:41 AM

Quote:

It is a Jeep thing.

Great first post... :rolleyes: With any luck, it'll be your last that anyone on here will have to read...

Oh, and the last time I "blocked" a trail was when I was waiting for a CJ to get winched up a hill because his carb couldn't handle the incline. :rolleyes:

BrianXJ 08-11-2003 09:44 AM

I wish people would think before they start talking out of their behinds.

basalt51 08-11-2003 10:01 AM

Welcome S&S, I mean Jimmy. How's that 4.2L V6 working out in your Willy's?

And call my XJ a wagon all you want. That's what the DMV calls it. There's been plenty-o-badass wagons and the XJ is one of them. And the only time I've blocked the trail is when I was pulling a TJ out of the way.

The time now is 06:03 AM.