JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   "Why didn't you get a REAL Jeep?" (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/why-didnt-you-get-real-jeep-46987/)

JoeHo 08-02-2003 07:30 PM

"Why didn't you get a REAL Jeep?"

Since I've gotten my XJ, I have had conversations similar to the following with more than one of my friends:

Them: "Where's the new Jeep?"
Me: "Its right there, the green one."
Them: "That isn't a Jeep!"
Me: "Yes it is, its a Jeep Cherokee."
Them: "Jeeps are the ones where you can take the top off and all that."
Me: "That's a Wrangler, I got a Cherokee. Its still a Jeep."
Them: "I guess, but its not a REAL Jeep, not a JEEP Jeep."
Me: *shakes head in frustration* "Ok."

If this happens one more time I'm going to slam somebody's face into the Jeep insignia.

ChrisinVA 08-02-2003 07:42 PM

Tell them they're mistaken, the KJ is the one they're thinking of.

Boooo...hissss....just kidding!

Swamp Boy 08-02-2003 07:58 PM

Ignore them they are idiots... MY grand will go damn near anywhere that a wrangler will go and I get the same crap..
Until they see it off road then they go ..."wow man that is awesome" and I just say .. "Well its a Jeep, what did you expect.."

Kee-Kee 08-02-2003 08:21 PM

i guess xj's are not a jeep jeep for normal people. i mean, whenever someone mentioned jeep, i always thought of the wrangler, but i still knew there were other jeep models. not until i got smart/educated about xj's did i change my thoughts. those kids are just not educated. don't worry about it. yeah, i like the idea about the kj, or try this: ohh, yeah, i know, i was looking at a jeep, but decided to go with this xj. Xj makes some really good offroad vehicles, because they are from europe. just my stupid little thoughts.

ecrab3 08-02-2003 08:48 PM

True dat yall, true dat. Hell, I have a ZJ and a XJ, and I even want a Jeep Jeep :-) In this case, its more of the open top feature 1st, and the offroad capabilities 2nd. A jeep jeep to me is better than any old convertable, besides, the wife agrees and eventually I will get a CJ or something like that soon, that is if Swampboy doesnt beat me to the deal!:p

try and ignore those comments, or agree with them and ask them to take a ride with you sometime and they will change thier mind :D

isezumi00 08-02-2003 10:40 PM

Schema: The resulting image/conclusion created by applying a series of characteristics and attributes in order to categorize actions or objects, often broad generalizations...

Example: The Jeep Wrangler is what fits the average persons schema of what a Jeep should look like.

bigbadbrad 08-02-2003 10:46 PM

WHATTTTT!!

Tell them they dont know the deal. I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a 6.5" lift running 33" mudders locked in the rear. And i have put some of my wrangler friends to shame on the trails.

xjeeper04 08-03-2003 12:41 AM

i get the same thing.....makes me want to swearv into a a pole it makes me that mad. But i know i can wheel better that a "real jeep"

daveleau 08-03-2003 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisinVA
Tell them they're mistaken, the KJ is the one they're thinking of.

Boooo...hissss....just kidding!

:lol:

That is exactly what I was thinking though. :D

EricsXJ 08-03-2003 02:23 AM

You see these people just aren't educated in the ways of jeep. To them all they see is shapes and sizes. Wrangler is short (wheelbase), has a removeable top and roll bar. This computes as a "jeep" in their very limited ways of thinking. Now an XJ is a bit bigger, and looks like one of them EsYouVees so its basically a big car (but cooler because EsYouVees are better than cars) :D

You could try to educate them but your attempts may be futile...

In any case, don't let it bother you, just continue to call your XJ a "jeep" as in "I think I'll drive the Jeep to work today" and if people look at you weird, just smile! :D

And of course, the more you mod it, the more people will call it a jeep, rig, beast, etc. Remember - shapes and sizes!!!

XJ99 08-03-2003 09:12 AM

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That's funny! People don't know what Jeeps are!

Quote:

Them: "That isn't a Jeep!"
Ask "THEM:" If they can read! Unless you peeled the emblems off I'm sure it says Jeep on a couple of differnet places on your rig.

Also the other day my wife was telling me this story on how all the other girls at work were "going to drive their Jeeps" in the next day. She asked them what kind of "Jeeps" they had? They told here "Suzuki Samurai" and a "Hyundai Sante Fe". When she told me the story I was ROTFLMFAO!!! She didn't know what to say. So JoeHo just be glad you know the difference between a Jeep and a Hyundai! :cool:

90lerado 08-03-2003 09:57 AM

tell them they can play follow the leader in anything they have go through some mud and show them what a jeep is all about. o and bring some towstraps for "them" lol

LOCKED UP 08-03-2003 10:40 AM

.... next time just slap em around a little till they figure it out.

XJ has been around since before the YJ. So unless its a CJ, or Ford GPW or whatever, we've been around here longer. Next time you are driving around, count how many Wranglers you see compared to XJs. Then the next time out, count how many total Jeeps you see and figure out how many are Wranglers.... I bet you'll be surprised. I see a lot more non-Wranglers around here...

Last night we had one of my Fiancees friends over to our house, our Maid of Honor actually. She told me my "Bronco" had gotten a lot bigger since the last time she had seen it. I just said "Uh, huh". The Finacee then corrected her :D

Yeah I had a Bronco before the XJ ... but other than both of them being black, with 33" BFGs, and a Warn on a black bumper, with lights everywhere .... they look nothing alike ;)

basalt51 08-04-2003 11:41 AM

I'm sure they are the same kinda people that think my landcruiser is a Jeep Jeep. Don't worry about it. My Dad has a TJ and as I was building up my XJ he kept telling me how I wasn't going to be able to go all the places he could.

Well guess who was pulling who out of places? And who was walking over everything?

Here's a hint: Not the TJ.

Another thing - I actually have a tighter turning radius than he does. Not sure why, but so much for the "you need a short wheelbase to do that trail" crap.

You know you drive a real Jeep. Just be content seeing everybodies dumb-founded looks when they realize YOU are driving the REAL Jeep, not them :D

erikrs301 08-04-2003 11:50 AM

Shorty Owner: "I can't believe you guys get those short-busses through these trails."

...yea, and I went over all the stuff you went around too

:rolleyes:

The time now is 07:50 PM.