TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Think I will give it a try then.

What is that?
One of those carbon fiber wrap things?

I don't think I have what it takes to fix the smaller clear coat issues.

Plus the majority of the rust on my Jeep is mostly at the bottom of those two passenger doors.
What I did do awhile back was score some black doors from a XJ. All 4 for $100.
Back passenger is really good rust wise. One of these days I want to see if I can bring the paint back some.
Front passenger paint wise is the same. But a little rust at the bottom mostly the inside lip.
But it is a lot better then my door.
Since it is a bolt on part I don't really worry about the rust too much.
Yes, She wanted that over the gloss black to match the paint. A 5'x20' roll was only $30. 4 doors for $100? Damn! I just had to pay $98 shipped for ONE painted fender flare. I previously got 4 painted flares on craigslist for $50 and screwed up trying to cut them to clear my 33s. I just figured out how to make stock flares work and threw out my pool noodles and put back my stock fender liners (trimmed) greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK on 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
SOLD 99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / 33" DC tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #91697 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 AM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
My GF had some clear coat issues on her Hyundai. After getting quotes of $750 to $1200 to fix it, I spent $30 and fixed it myself. It's held up great.
Exactly what did you do to the hood and did you replace the headlight covers ?

1995 Cherokee Country . Gone , but , not forgotten .

Goes around , comes around .
post #91698 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 09:28 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yes, She wanted that over the gloss black to match the paint. A 5'x20' roll was only $30. 4 doors for $100? Damn! I just had to pay $98 shipped for ONE painted fender flare. I previously got 4 painted flares on craigslist for $50 and screwed up trying to cut them to clear my 33s. I just figured out how to make stock flares work and threw out my pool noodles and put back my stock fender liners (trimmed) greatly.
The doors were a decent score really local to me. They were mostly intact. Agate door panels, switches, moldings, and regulators. Hinges and wiring harnesses were cut for removal. One of these days I will get to seeing what I can do with them and swap them out if I can get them to where I would like them to be. The big thing to me is that they are black like my Jeep and had the factory privacy glass in the rear doors. I already made the swap getting all the glass, big and little on the rear doors, cargo, and hatch with a working defogger awhile back from the boneyard for $200 but now I have extra door glass. Hell even the badging matches.

That sucks about the fender flare. Also awhile back I scored some front bumper caps, in really good shape but aftermarket ones, and 4 black fender flares painted to match just like my Jeep local to me. Think I paid $40 for all that. Definitely no more then $60.
Attached Images

post #91699 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 09:34 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post
Exactly what did you do to the hood and did you replace the headlight covers ?
I scuffed off the clear coat with a razor blade (20 minutes work) and bought new headlight covers (complete lights with bulbs) for $85 on Ebay. The trunk and rear spoiler looked worse than the hood. She got the car from a co-worker that bought it new (for $750 with 95,000 miles and a new timing belt).
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai trunk (2).jpg   Hyundai trunk new1.jpg  

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK on 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #91700 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The doors were a decent score really local to me. They were mostly intact. Agate door panels, switches, moldings, and regulators. Hinges and wiring harnesses were cut for removal. One of these days I will get to seeing what I can do with them and swap them out if I can get them to where I would like them to be. The big thing to me is that they are black like my Jeep and had the factory privacy glass in the rear doors. I already made the swap getting all the glass, big and little on the rear doors, cargo, and hatch with a working defogger awhile back from the boneyard for $200 but now I have extra door glass. Hell even the badging matches.
Damn that a deal! I have to look for wrecked XJs to find anything and Junk yards around here are RIDICULOUS on prices on desert sand colored Jeeps. I think they made that color for 3 years.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #91701 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 09:46 AM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I scuffed off the clear coat with a razor blade (20 minutes work) and bought new headlight covers (complete lights with bulbs) for $85 on Ebay. The trunk and rear spoiler looked worse than the hood. She got the car from a co-worker that bought it new (for $750 with 95,000 miles and a new timing belt).
Thanks for that^ and the car has been majorly improved . Looks great .

post #91702 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Damn that a deal! I have to look for wrecked XJs to find anything and Junk yards around here are RIDICULOUS on prices.
I edited the post about some fender flares I scored too.

Those and the doors were private party Craigslist finds.
The glass was from the boneyard.
Most boneyards are nuts.
The only reason that I do well at some of them is because they are customers of the store. There are 3 of them. And I was the guy that delivered their auto parts. LOL.
They are not pick and pull around here but they would let me go back there and pretty much do whatever I wanted. And always look out.
But I would also pull my own parts.
Unfortunately 2 of them closed and with the state cracking down on fluids being dumped on the ground, can only remove parts that would leak fluids on the concrete pad where the lift is, I can only pull certain things now myself in the lot at the third.

Which sucks because they have a Jeep back there that has the factory tranny cooler in it. Looks to be in good shape. And I am thinking about putting one on mine that did not come with it. If I could remove it in the lot I would grab the hoses, cooler, and hardware to mount it up. They would probably charge me something stupid like $15 maybe $20. But because of the tranny fluid leaking on the ground they have use the fork lift to bring it to the concrete pad. Then somebody else will take it off. So the $15 price is pretty much right out the window cause of all the "handling" involved.
post #91703 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 03:07 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
. Agate door panels, switches, moldings, and regulators. .

I hate you a little. Finding any dark interior pieces around here is hard, finding any that aren't totally trashed is next to impossible.

Speaking of plastic, anyone ever tried to get automotive paint to adhere to ABS? I've been toying with the idea of doing bedliner down from that ridge just under the door handles, but the pocket flares in Silverstone patch paint to match the top of the car and break up all the black around the tires.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #91704 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 03:20 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
I hate you a little. Finding any dark interior pieces around here is hard, finding any that aren't totally trashed is next to impossible.

Speaking of plastic, anyone ever tried to get automotive paint to adhere to ABS? I've been toying with the idea of doing bedliner down from that ridge just under the door handles, but the pocket flares in Silverstone patch paint to match the top of the car and break up all the black around the tires.
Really. Agate seems to be a piece of cake for the most part.
Try finding Camel pieces which is what my '00's interior is.
downs likes this.
post #91705 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 03:28 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Really. Agate seems to be a piece of cake for the most part.
Try finding Camel pieces which is what my '00's interior is.

It's mostly camel down here. Hot state = light interiors I guess?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #91706 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It's mostly camel down here. Hot state = light interiors I guess?
That is funny. Exact opposite around here.
I considered myself lucky coming across a couple '99 part outs with Camel interiors on Craigslist that I did a pretty good number on raiding for parts.

What is it your are looking for?
The boneyard I mentioned above has a '99 with an Agate interior.
When they first got it the interior looked pristine from glancing at it.
Unfortunately they have this bad habit of the parts they take off to get at the part they want end up in the Jeep.
So I don't know what is left, haven't been there in awhile, or the condition of it but be happy to help if I can.
post #91707 of 92862 Old 09-24-2019, 08:51 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That is funny. Exact opposite around here.
I considered myself lucky coming across a couple '99 part outs with Camel interiors on Craigslist that I did a pretty good number on raiding for parts.

What is it your are looking for?
The boneyard I mentioned above has a '99 with an Agate interior.
When they first got it the interior looked pristine from glancing at it.
Unfortunately they have this bad habit of the parts they take off to get at the part they want end up in the Jeep.
So I don't know what is left, haven't been there in awhile, or the condition of it but be happy to help if I can.
Mostly I've been trying to track down....I'm not sure what to call them other than "interior rocker panels". The plastic trim that goes under the doors. I pulled the screws through mine messing with wiring a lot back when I kept tweaking the sound setup in college.

I could use a driver's door panel.

Guess this means I need to check for camel next time I hit the yards around here lol.

post #91708 of 92862 Old 09-25-2019, 01:49 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Mostly I've been trying to track down....I'm not sure what to call them other than "interior rocker panels". The plastic trim that goes under the doors. I pulled the screws through mine messing with wiring a lot back when I kept tweaking the sound setup in college.

Guess this means I need to check for camel next time I hit the yards around here lol.
They refer to it just as a Cover B Pillar Trim Panel in the parts catalogs.
Not only do those tubes behind it that the screws go through break but the ends, part that is more up front, like to crack and break off.
I found some Camel ones in one of the part outs I mentioned before that were in pretty good shape. One tube was busted but I have it and gluing it should work.
The ones in my Jeep leave something to be desired too.
I figure when I finally get around to the sound deadening of my floor I will replace them.

I have no use for the Agate door panels on those doors I bought. Have to take a close look to see what kind of shape it is in.
Also next time I am down at the boneyard can see about the pillars. Also see about the door panel on that Jeep too.

Can ask them what they want for them. Thinking shipping would be counterproductive. Not so much cause of the weight, they hardly weigh anything, but the size.
post #91709 of 92862 Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 AM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

You might consider using dished washers where the screws pulled through .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/x8pcs-Cup-W...-/201382925125

Your local hardware might have them also .

post #91710 of 92862 Old 09-25-2019, 09:34 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post
You might consider using dished washers where the screws pulled through .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/x8pcs-Cup-W...-/201382925125

Your local hardware might have them also .
I'm using something similar already, it's just ugly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in