What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 6068 - JeepForum.com
 1292Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91006 of 93640 Old 02-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Jakegrovephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
Nice setup. From some Contour upgrades, the bellowed rubber tubes (stock one) might rob some power. Yours are less than stock. (not explaining that well). You might try wrapping the tube with some heat shield.

Iíve entertained the concept of a heat shield over it. Could work well with a similar material as DEI uses for their injector and fuel rail covers. Once the rig is back on the road I can grab the MAT sensor readings at idle and drive if thereís any interest in temperature reading (unsure if the accuracy and relevance...) if anyone stock want to post up thereís.

Agreed with the bellows as well, also had the idea of running a curved or welded up curve (blanking on the name, those fancy header looking ones) but for the benefit to tedious project ratio itíll probably never happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #91007 of 93640 Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Jakegrovephoto

Dropped the tank today and went at yanking the old pump/filter/sender assembly. Thank god for ratchet wrenches on that stupid long retaining strap hardware.

Gave the tank a good draining and cleaning. Letting it dry up tonight then back in with a new pump assembly and replacing the rotted out filler hoses while at it.

Side note: anyone have a good recommendation on quality somewhat affordable injectors? Preferably new not rebuilt. Trying to get out less than $40 per

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #91008 of 93640 Old 02-08-2019, 12:12 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegrovephoto View Post

... had the idea of running a curved or welded up curve (blanking on the name, those fancy header looking ones)...
Is this the one you mean, from Spectre?
Attached Images

D3<!L!>3D

post #91009 of 93640 Old 02-08-2019, 01:43 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegrovephoto View Post

Dropped the tank today and went at yanking the old pump/filter/sender assembly. Thank god for ratchet wrenches on that stupid long retaining strap hardware.

Gave the tank a good draining and cleaning. Letting it dry up tonight then back in with a new pump assembly and replacing the rotted out filler hoses while at it.

Side note: anyone have a good recommendation on quality somewhat affordable injectors? Preferably new not rebuilt. Trying to get out less than $40 per
Thanks for the shots. I like visuals. I have the check valve problem in my Jeep. But pressure reads right at 49 lbs when running last time I checked. Got tired of reading the I can't find a Bosch or Mopar fuel pump for my '97 and up. A Mopar one has been kicking around on Craigslist local to me for awhile for $150. I just said screw it and bought it this past week. Probably wait till the pump craps out before I fix it though. Unless I get really bored.

Can you live with $50 each for brand new injectors? I am kind of embarrassed about this. I work at an auto parts store. One of our customers is an engine rebuilding shop. Pretty much the go to place in the area for the big boy big horsepower engines. The son of the owner owns a '00 like me. They did a little something something to the engine in his. So we talk Jeep once in awhile when I am there and I mentioned that I was thinking about doing the 4 hole injector upgrade. Well they told me to contact Marren Injectors. What he used in his. Now this is the kind of place that when they talk you listen. But it cost $300 not including tax for the 6 injectors and that was about 5 years ago. That is the embarrassing part because there are so many cheaper options. But in my defense this place is literally 15 minutes away from me. So if I had a problem I could deal with it in person. Well the son told me that I could use the same injectors that he used despite them having done a little work to his engine and mine being stock. So I got the part number, went to the place, and bought them. That was about 5 years ago. Best I can tell is that they are fine. No problems with them to date. In the end really not regretting spending the money.

https://www.injector.com/cart/pc/Fuel-Injectors-c25.htm

Don't think you can look up injectors by application on their site. If you want I can go into my files and find the part number for the ones I bought.

Edit: Oh and in case it matters. I don't know if they still are but mine are orange. Not going to lie that kind of bugged me. Not the paint my valve cover, diff covers, certain front end parts red, blue, or some neon color type. But I got over them being orange.
Jakegrovephoto likes this.
post #91010 of 93640 Old 02-08-2019, 04:47 AM
Luke95
1997 ZJ 

Artec sd60 truss ordered as well as the leaf spring perches, u bolts and shock tabs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

97 XJ on 4Ds.
post #91011 of 93640 Old 02-08-2019, 05:33 AM
75SV1

'Side note: anyone have a good recommendation on quality somewhat affordable injectors? Preferably new not rebuilt. Trying to get out less than $40 per '

I have run 4 hole Fords in two XJs. They were rebuilt or cleaned, but used. Engine ran smoother, but no power or MPG increase. I did get a used set of 12 hole injectors from a member here "CobraMarty'. I have not installed them. I think $100 for the set.

Also for the intake, I did nab part of the setup from a WJ. I'd have to check, I think it has a 'carb hat' at the throttle body. The WJ setup is a bit different. There are two bolts to the intake manifold for the TB and trans cable plate and then one to the 'carb hat'. Also, was thinking of one of the Cummins 'Cobra' intake parts. At least that's what we called them. Don't know if they would match up to the 4.0L TB. Not really needed as we have enough space under the hood.
post #91012 of 93640 Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 AM
Jakegrovephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Thanks for the shots. I like visuals. I have the check valve problem in my Jeep. But pressure reads right at 49 lbs when running last time I checked. Got tired of reading the I can't find a Bosch or Mopar fuel pump for my '97 and up. A Mopar one has been kicking around on Craigslist local to me for awhile for $150. I just said screw it and bought it this past week. Probably wait till the pump craps out before I fix it though. Unless I get really bored.

Can you live with $50 each for brand new injectors? I am kind of embarrassed about this. I work at an auto parts store. One of our customers is an engine rebuilding shop. Pretty much the go to place in the area for the big boy big horsepower engines. The son of the owner owns a '00 like me. They did a little something something to the engine in his. So we talk Jeep once in awhile when I am there and I mentioned that I was thinking about doing the 4 hole injector upgrade. Well they told me to contact Marren Injectors. What he used in his. Now this is the kind of place that when they talk you listen. But it cost $300 not including tax for the 6 injectors and that was about 5 years ago. That is the embarrassing part because there are so many cheaper options. But in my defense this place is literally 15 minutes away from me. So if I had a problem I could deal with it in person. Well the son told me that I could use the same injectors that he used despite them having done a little work to his engine and mine being stock. So I got the part number, went to the place, and bought them. That was about 5 years ago. Best I can tell is that they are fine. No problems with them to date. In the end really not regretting spending the money.

https://www.injector.com/cart/pc/Fuel-Injectors-c25.htm

Don't think you can look up injectors by application on their site. If you want I can go into my files and find the part number for the ones I bought.

Edit: Oh and in case it matters. I don't know if they still are but mine are orange. Not going to lie that kind of bugged me. Not the paint my valve cover, diff covers, certain front end parts red, blue, or some neon color type. But I got over them being orange.

I went with a Delphi unit off of summit. $135 and free shipping. All looks good so far. Only thing not pictured is there is a large threaded ring that holds screws the assemble down. Mine was too tight to get a hand on, so used a dull chisel and a mallet to tap it loose from the side. Came off in two minutes that way.

Thanks for the insight on injectors. I dug around last night and found the standard motor injectors had good reviews on summit compared to others out there. They are new and not remanufactured. They ran closer to $40 per on summit, but found rock auto for $30. For under $200 for the set I went ahead and dropped the cash. Part# FJ454 for anyone else looking. Look like OEM, and really not worried about injection performance beyond factory spec. 3 year, 36k warranty.

post #91013 of 93640 Old 02-08-2019, 04:00 PM
lrsmithwhaley
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
195 thermostat should be used no matter what.
That's my plan. This is actually the first of 3 XJ's I've had that doesn't want to overheat so I'm not to worried about it.

Green with Silver trim 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (DD and Off-roader)
March 2007 Stock Class XJ of the Month
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
post #91014 of 93640 Old 02-09-2019, 12:23 AM
shooptube
Big Brother

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
It blows my mind that people on here think running 35s with under-geared (4.10-4.56) Jeeps is fine. 35s with an AW4 need 4.88 minimum with the OD (4.88 with an AX-15 5 speed) not much lower than the 42rle in a TJ, that needs 5.38 to get those tires running like stock. Check my sig before you comment.
It blows my mind that people run 4.88s in a d30. Been running under geared with my nv3550 with 4.10s on 35s for 2 years now, and I love what I get on the freeway.
On the trails I still have plenty of power and now that I have 4:1 low range, I dont see a need for regearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
I am Moar low.
Build Thread:

Instagram:
post #91015 of 93640 Old 02-09-2019, 09:50 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post
It blows my mind that people run 4.88s in a d30. Been running under geared with my nv3550 with 4.10s on 35s for 2 years now, and I love what I get on the freeway.
On the trails I still have plenty of power and now that I have 4:1 low range, I dont see a need for regearing.
To each their own. Night and day difference on my Rubicon going from stock 4.10 on 35s to 5.13s. I can actually pass people on the freeway and even go up hills. The 4.10s were good enough for 31s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #91016 of 93640 Old 02-09-2019, 09:56 AM
shooptube
Big Brother

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
To each their own. Night and day difference on my Rubicon going from stock 4.10 on 35s to 5.13s. I can actually pass people on the freeway and even go up hills. The 4.10s were good enough for 31s.
If I regeared, it would be 4.56, and even that would make my jeep less highway friendly. I love being able to drive my jeep to and from the trails and not be reving extremely high. When my jeep was on 33s, it was reving close to 3k at 70 now it's right around 26-27

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
TheBoogieman likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
I am Moar low.
Build Thread:

Instagram:
post #91017 of 93640 Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 AM
lrsmithwhaley
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The new thermostat solved my engine under-heating and not blowing much hot air. Cleaned the windows and made plans for some bushwackers. I love having an XJ again, even if the MPG isn't so great. Though I do miss 40 MPG of my Honda.
downs likes this.

Green with Silver trim 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (DD and Off-roader)
March 2007 Stock Class XJ of the Month
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
post #91018 of 93640 Old 02-10-2019, 09:02 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsmithwhaley View Post
The new thermostat solved my engine under-heating and not blowing much hot air. Cleaned the windows and made plans for some bushwackers. I love having an XJ again, even if the MPG isn't so great. Though I do miss 40 MPG of my Honda.
Glad to hear that it's fixed. There are threads addressing some simple ways to keep your mpg up around 16-18 vs 12-14.
downs likes this.

D3<!L!>3D
post #91019 of 93640 Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 AM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Glad to hear that it's fixed. There are threads addressing some simple ways to keep your mpg up around 16-18 vs 12-14.
Id love to get 16mpg lol. About the only thing i haven't done is replace the engine

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #91020 of 93640 Old 02-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Luke95
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post
If I regeared, it would be 4.56, and even that would make my jeep less highway friendly. I love being able to drive my jeep to and from the trails and not be reving extremely high. When my jeep was on 33s, it was reving close to 3k at 70 now it's right around 26-27

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
I simply do not view any of the stock axles that jeep offers to be worth regearing in any way besides what can be done junkyarding. Dana 30s suck. The knuckles are weak the brakes are aweful and I would rather buy a slightly less quality large tire than to have the aweful setup that is known as a d30. So far I am into my tons for 580 dollars including the truss and perches. By the time I gear and lock it will be another 1000 and with brakes meh probably just gonna pad slap as my calipers are fine. With a bit of wheeling and dealing you can build big axles for about the cost of small axles and not have to worry as much. However I am looking st this as my jeep is my second vehicle and mainly for wheeling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

97 XJ on 4Ds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in