What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 5950 - JeepForum.com
 777Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #89236 of 91636 Old 11-27-2017, 11:28 PM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMTB View Post
Having the selectable locker argument with myself again, I drive a lot of mountain roads in the snow to go skiing so that's all that is holding me back. I would put it in the front D30 since the rear 35 would probably break I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Parts will be in short supply since I'm finally taking care of the last of my court issues due to my drinking (been sober a little over two years now) and I'm even looking at possibly purchasing a property this summer (just had my 2 year "birthday" so sorry for the off topic, but I'm excited).

I did change the rear diff fluid that was black and smelled real burnt, which is odd since it has, at most, 15k miles on it Need to do the oil but waiting to get into a friends garage with tools (and heat) to take a swing at the OPG and RMS again. Going to drop the entire front axle completely to make it easy.

Took it on the highway with the new tires, steering, and 4 new u-joints and it drove fantastic, the is a slight vibe around 65 but I rarely go that fast so it's not terrible. Thinking that's just the 3in lift without an SYE or t-case drop.
Congrats on your 'birthday' .
And , good yer getting the other stuff done , too .

We might get up to Colorado next Summer , maybe . Currently hanging out in Arizona for the Winter .

1995 Cherokee Country .

Goes around , comes around .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #89237 of 91636 Old 11-28-2017, 04:12 AM
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytex70 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! I hope your day was filled with lots of food, fun and football. I have to work later tonight...luckily I get to miss the craziness of the big sale at the evil Walmart. (Love working overnights this time of year) Be safe everyone.
In the spirit of gluttony, I give you, Thanksgiving Prime Rib!
NT7B likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post
"Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #89238 of 91636 Old 11-28-2017, 06:09 AM
1shotleft

1998 ZJ 

I pulled the rear drive shaft to replace the transfer case output seal. Discovered the TC was empty and I need new Universal's.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

post #89239 of 91636 Old 11-28-2017, 10:31 AM
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotleft View Post
I pulled the rear drive shaft to replace the transfer case output seal. Discovered the TC was empty and I need new Universal's.
By empty, do you mean no oil? If that's the case, I'm guessing you need more than a seal & u-joints.

Quote:
"Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #89240 of 91636 Old 11-28-2017, 01:04 PM
1shotleft

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn1 View Post
By empty, do you mean no oil? If that's the case, I'm guessing you need more than a seal & u-joints.
Very little fluid came out, I just bought this Jeep last week. The only place that was wet was at the output shaft seal.

post #89241 of 91636 Old 11-28-2017, 01:17 PM
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotleft View Post
Very little fluid came out, I just bought this Jeep last week. The only place that was wet was at the output shaft seal.
Fill 'er up w/ ATF & pray. Odds are good your chain, pump, and bearings ran starved for lube & will ultimately fail prematurely.

I recommend starting a t-case fund, either for a JY replacement or a full rebuild of yours. If you haven't had to repair or replace the t-case in a year, spend the $$ on a SYE, or something else for the build.

Quote:

post #89242 of 91636 Old 11-29-2017, 09:14 AM
COMTB
1989 XJ Cherokee 

@un4gvn1 thanks man!
I don't have any traction devices in the rear diff so it shouldn't be any of that failing. I know it's old and hasn't been taken care of until I got it so I'm curious to see how long this lasts. I'm using a 75-90 lucas oil diff oil.

The oil filter adapter i replaced and solved 90% of my oil leaking. I know the valve cover leaks so that will get replaced beforehand but there is a broken bolt for the oil pan that I need to drop the pan to spin out so I will have to put a new gasket on it anyway and since I'm in there I'm going to do the RMS too just to be safe.

I have a 1in tcase drop that came with the IRO steering setup I bought off another member, would 1in be too much and cause any issues?
@pdcomm thanks to you too!
Colorado is awesome, I'm just starting to explore the 4x4 options (of which there are many) but I ski and mountain bike so I feel like I chose the right place to live. If you journey out here you should shoot me a message!

1989 XJ Build:
post #89243 of 91636 Old 11-29-2017, 10:49 AM
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
@un4gvn1 thanks man!
I don't have any traction devices in the rear diff so it shouldn't be any of that failing. I know it's old and hasn't been taken care of until I got it so I'm curious to see how long this lasts. I'm using a 75-90 lucas oil diff oil.

The oil filter adapter i replaced and solved 90% of my oil leaking. I know the valve cover leaks so that will get replaced beforehand but there is a broken bolt for the oil pan that I need to drop the pan to spin out so I will have to put a new gasket on it anyway and since I'm in there I'm going to do the RMS too just to be safe.

I have a 1in tcase drop that came with the IRO steering setup I bought off another member, would 1in be too much and cause any issues?
@pdcomm thanks to you too!
Colorado is awesome, I'm just starting to explore the 4x4 options (of which there are many) but I ski and mountain bike so I feel like I chose the right place to live. If you journey out here you should shoot me a message!
I just assumed you'd have the factory limited-slip in yer d35, mine did and I forget that they made 'em without.

I understand the precautionary RMS, since you're gonna be in there anyhow. Might pull a rod cap & check your bearings while you've got the pan off. I did mine a while ago, they still had some life left in 'em, but not much. The mains looked new, so we left them alone.

The main issue with any t-case drop is you're giving up clearance in the middle of the rig, where it's the most critical. The less drop the better. It's not an issue for most folks, but I love the rockpiles too much to give up any break-over.

Enjoy your mountains, it's been years since I was in Colorado, but the wheeling there should be awesome. I do want to do Black Bear and a few others at some point. I have to budget my vacation time carefully, one of these years...

Quote:

post #89244 of 91636 Old 11-29-2017, 12:01 PM
COMTB
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn1 View Post
I just assumed you'd have the factory limited-slip in yer d35, mine did and I forget that they made 'em without.

I understand the precautionary RMS, since you're gonna be in there anyhow. Might pull a rod cap & check your bearings while you've got the pan off. I did mine a while ago, they still had some life left in 'em, but not much. The mains looked new, so we left them alone.

The main issue with any t-case drop is you're giving up clearance in the middle of the rig, where it's the most critical. The less drop the better. It's not an issue for most folks, but I love the rockpiles too much to give up any break-over.

Enjoy your mountains, it's been years since I was in Colorado, but the wheeling there should be awesome. I do want to do Black Bear and a few others at some point. I have to budget my vacation time carefully, one of these years...

Well I didn't even know the old 1989 C Clips came with a LSD? Guess I'll do the spin test, i am 99% sure it doesn't but doesn't hurt to check.

Aslo, I live up north by WY but the wheeling (local to me) is a blast. There's trails I won't run without full armor and other trails I get to crawl up and have some fun without worrying about breaking anything. Something for everyone, if I want something crazy I can find it within an hour ish of my place or just cruise out i70 and hit up moab (we go every summer for some mountain biking and 4x4ing). I'm hoping the jeep will get to join this year and I'm thinking of trying to make it to the easter jeep festival out there.

1989 XJ Build:
post #89245 of 91636 Old 11-29-2017, 04:43 PM
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Well I didn't even know the old 1989 C Clips came with a LSD? Guess I'll do the spin test, i am 99% sure it doesn't but doesn't hurt to check.

Aslo, I live up north by WY but the wheeling (local to me) is a blast. There's trails I won't run without full armor and other trails I get to crawl up and have some fun without worrying about breaking anything. Something for everyone, if I want something crazy I can find it within an hour ish of my place or just cruise out i70 and hit up moab (we go every summer for some mountain biking and 4x4ing). I'm hoping the jeep will get to join this year and I'm thinking of trying to make it to the easter jeep festival out there.
My '88 D35 was limited-slip, but ymmv.

Quote:

post #89246 of 91636 Old 11-30-2017, 02:20 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I am hoping somebody can answer this or point me in the right direction. I have a chance to buy the levers/knobs from a 5.9 GC. The nice leather ones. I thought in my travels that you could use them on an XJ. Shifter knob appears to be a straight replace. But I can't find any info on doing the TC and E Brake. Anybody know if those are possible?
post #89247 of 91636 Old 11-30-2017, 05:05 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
So I am hoping somebody can answer this or point me in the right direction. I have a chance to buy the levers/knobs from a 5.9 GC. The nice leather ones. I thought in my travels that you could use them on an XJ. Shifter knob appears to be a straight replace. But I can't find any info on doing the TC and E Brake. Anybody know if those are possible?
Never even thought of doing that. Would be pretty slick if it worked though. Let us know if you find out.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
post #89248 of 91636 Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 AM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Maybe you should be the first across that bridge , Ralph .

1995 Cherokee Country .

Goes around , comes around .
post #89249 of 91636 Old 11-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
Never even thought of doing that. Would be pretty slick if it worked though. Let us know if you find out.
Quote:
Maybe you should be the first across that bridge , Ralph .
If I can pick them up cheap enough I might. But they usually cost a few bucks and for something I might not be able to work out I will most likely chicken out. Keep you posted.

Edit: I need to get to the boneyard. I need to find a '93 to '98 Grand Cherokee Limited. Thinking that will have a Quadratrac TC like I am pretty sure the 5.9 GC would have. If I could get a look at one see on the knob comes off and compares to a XJ one. Thinking any GC will help to get an idea of the E Brake.
post #89250 of 91636 Old 11-30-2017, 05:11 PM
1shotleft

1998 ZJ 

Took apart my light control switch and re-solderd all the contacts, dimmer works and I saved at least 75 bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in