What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 5949 - JeepForum.com
 761Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #89221 of 91579 Old 11-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The replacement CD Changer seems to be operating OK so I secured it in the enclosure. Just like the previous one. Couple velcro strips. Makes it easy to get in and out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #89222 of 91579 Old 11-21-2017, 09:45 PM
Agent 000

2004 WJ 

I picked up a 1997 Cherokee Sport for my girlfriend to drive. The Jeep has 255,000 on it, and we got it for a good price. Body is in great shape, but it is seriously in need of a paint job at some point. The previous owner definitely was not mechanically inclined, and also did not seem to realize that maintaining the proper coolant levels in it was necessary. I had to add a gallon of antifreeze to it, and there was definitely a lot of surface rust in the cooling system.

Over the weekend, decided to do the needed repairs on the cooling system. Drained out the old coolant/sludge from the engine, then broke out the hose and proceeded to flush out the radiator, the block and the heater core. Needless to say, it was a messy job, took some time, but was able to get a lot of the crud out of the system. Reconnected the hoses, filled it with water and Prestone radiator cleaner, then let it run for about 30 minutes. After letting it cool, drained it out again, lots more crud came out, and then went back to flushing everything out again.

Now the fun part, removed the old water pump (as I figured it was likely to be bad), and the blades on it were highly corroded and rusted away (good call on my part). Removed the old thermostat housing, thermostat and temperature sensor, and replaced all of it with new items. The thermostat was rusted in the open position, so it completely explained why the engine never heated up properly, and the heater did not work. Got it all bolted back together, refilled the cooling system with the proper levels of antifreeze and distilled water, then ran the engine for a bit to get all the air out of the system.

Took it out for a road test, and all is working as it should. Water temp gauge is holding steady at 210 degrees now, and the heater is once again working well (good thing since winter is upon us). Figure I'll be doing a full flush on it again in 3000 miles, and will do one more full flush after another 3000 miles. Also, I'm going to replace all of the hoses at the next flush, as I need to order the heater hoses, since you can never find them locally.

Tomorrow morning, taking it in for new tires, as the old ones are pretty well shot.

Bright Silver Metallic 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
post #89223 of 91579 Old 11-22-2017, 12:17 AM
ladytex70
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The hood pins came in yesterday..I’m going to enjoy not having to deal with the cable release bull**** anymore. I went with the Jegs pins in black to match the cranky brat. I do have a request for y’all...is it possible for one of you that have the pins to post a pic of how they look?( I’ve seen them on the ex’s Mustang) Next on the list is the valve cover gasket and tune up...it’s awesome having a mechanic for a boyfriend?

Last edited by chris87xj; 11-22-2017 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Please just type what you want to say and let the language censor do it's job

post #89224 of 91579 Old 11-22-2017, 06:21 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytex70 View Post
The hood pins came in yesterday..Iím going to enjoy not having to deal with the cable release bulls**t anymore. I went with the Jegs pins in black to match the cranky brat. I do have a request for yíall...is it possible for one of you that have the pins to post a pic of how they look?( Iíve seen them on the exís Mustang) Next on the list is the valve cover gasket and tune up...itís awesome having a mechanic for a boyfriend?

This is the best one I can find. Never really took any pictures of them after installing them. You can kind of see them here though. Iíve been happy with them so far. Been a few weeks since the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #89225 of 91579 Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 AM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Our Country just finished a 2,038 mile 'journey' , with only a mysterious 'Check Engine' Light that would disappear when threatened to be exposed for what it was crying about .

Yesterday afternoon , we arrived , safely , in Queen Creek , Az .
We had a decent trip , but for a few 'bumps' . I think no more than any other 'road' . And , yes , it was/is fun . New scenery and people around every bend . Most of which have been pleasant .

I've been told that a frozen turkey is thawing in preparation for what looks to be a festive couple of Thanksgiving days . We haven't seen most of these relatives in many years and the stories ...

Anyway , good times .

1995 Cherokee Country .

Goes around , comes around .
post #89226 of 91579 Old 11-23-2017, 08:29 AM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone .

1995 Cherokee Country .

Goes around , comes around .
post #89227 of 91579 Old 11-23-2017, 12:06 PM
1990JEEPXJ

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Relocated my battery to the drivers side to make room for a York 210 compressor on the passenger side.

Cleaning up some wiring while Iím at it too
un4gvn1 likes this.

Completely stock, and keeping it that way...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
post #89228 of 91579 Old 11-23-2017, 04:21 PM
ladytex70
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! I hope your day was filled with lots of food, fun and football. I have to work later tonight...luckily I get to miss the craziness of the big sale at the evil Walmart. (Love working overnights this time of year) Be safe everyone.
post #89229 of 91579 Old 11-24-2017, 07:42 PM
zte87
GIVE IT THE ONION

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Deleted the abs pump out of it, I had been running it with the fuse and relays pulled but it was time for it to go. I canít believe how much better the brakes work now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luck favors the prepared - anticanman
post #89230 of 91579 Old 11-25-2017, 10:55 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Changed the oil again. 5k change and it was only 1/2 quart down (assuming 1/2 quart was locked up in the oversized filter). The pan gasket must be holding up better than it looks.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #89231 of 91579 Old 11-25-2017, 06:14 PM
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Rewired my corner lights last week.

Park lights only.

Blink/flash only (turn & 4-way)

Blink/flash with park lights on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post
"Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. "

Last edited by un4gvn1; 11-25-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Fix youtube linx
post #89232 of 91579 Old 11-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I need to stop looking on Craigslist and Ebay. Picked this up off Craigslist today. I believe it to be a Manik and not a Aries. Probably paid a little too much but..... $210. Had to drive to New York over the Tappan Zee Bridge. $19 in gas and $5 for the toll. Apparently I am going to receive a bill in the mail. They take a shot of your plate and send the bill to the address on the registration. Trying to figure where the shot was taken. You don't drive through a toll both. 155 mile round trip. Overhead said I averaged 19.3 MPG. My calculations come up at 21.4 MPG. I am OK with either one.
Attached Images

post #89233 of 91579 Old 11-27-2017, 04:51 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Replaced my clock spring and steering wheel last night. I had a TPS code and the airbag light was on, replacing the clock spring fixed both issues. Jeep is much happier with the TPS code taken care of, it would hesitate on part throttle and didn't always know when to shift. Now I just have to get some miles on it so I can pass emissions tomorrow.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
post #89234 of 91579 Old 11-27-2017, 06:58 PM
COMTB
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Having the selectable locker argument with myself again, I drive a lot of mountain roads in the snow to go skiing so that's all that is holding me back. I would put it in the front D30 since the rear 35 would probably break I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Parts will be in short supply since I'm finally taking care of the last of my court issues due to my drinking (been sober a little over two years now) and I'm even looking at possibly purchasing a property this summer (just had my 2 year "birthday" so sorry for the off topic, but I'm excited).

I did change the rear diff fluid that was black and smelled real burnt, which is odd since it has, at most, 15k miles on it Need to do the oil but waiting to get into a friends garage with tools (and heat) to take a swing at the OPG and RMS again. Going to drop the entire front axle completely to make it easy.

Took it on the highway with the new tires, steering, and 4 new u-joints and it drove fantastic, the is a slight vibe around 65 but I rarely go that fast so it's not terrible. Thinking that's just the 3in lift without an SYE or t-case drop.

1989 XJ Build:
post #89235 of 91579 Old 11-27-2017, 11:20 PM
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMTB View Post
Having the selectable locker argument with myself again, I drive a lot of mountain roads in the snow to go skiing so that's all that is holding me back. I would put it in the front D30 since the rear 35 would probably break I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Parts will be in short supply since I'm finally taking care of the last of my court issues due to my drinking (been sober a little over two years now) and I'm even looking at possibly purchasing a property this summer (just had my 2 year "birthday" so sorry for the off topic, but I'm excited).

I did change the rear diff fluid that was black and smelled real burnt, which is odd since it has, at most, 15k miles on it Need to do the oil but waiting to get into a friends garage with tools (and heat) to take a swing at the OPG and RMS again. Going to drop the entire front axle completely to make it easy.

Took it on the highway with the new tires, steering, and 4 new u-joints and it drove fantastic, the is a slight vibe around 65 but I rarely go that fast so it's not terrible. Thinking that's just the 3in lift without an SYE or t-case drop.
Selectable is the best way to go if you're gonna drive snow & ice.

No, you don't want to lock a D35.

Congrats on two years. I've been clean a few years myself, so I know how much work it really is.

Burnt smelling rear diff fluid is probably an indication the factory limited slip is nearly toast (or may be completely gone). Just another excuse to save up for a different rear axle.

Check and double check everything else (oil filter adapter, valve cover gasket) before you do the RMS. I hate hearing people who changed the RMS only to discover the source was something else. With the nose-up position of our engines, nearly any oil leak will present at the back, and appear to be RMS.

When I was on 3" and before I went with my H&T, I needed 5/8" of t-case drop to cure the driveline vibs.

Again, congrats on two years of making the right choice on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post
"Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. "

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in