LinkBack Thread Tools
post #87811 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 02:23 AM
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
I need a double sided tape that can stand engine bay conditions to mount something really light. Anyone have any suggestions? think standard gorilla tape would work?
3M makes a double-sided molding adhesive tape that is damn-near impossible to tear loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post
"Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #87812 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Started pulling the outer front fenders off the silver Jeep and got hung up on the antenna wire. Anyone know how that unhooks? I am going to grind and repaint the whole inside of the wheel wells and wanted better access. Passenger side was easy, driver side not so much with that antenna wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #87813 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 09:43 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I seem to remember that the wire is continuous, it comes through the firewall and goes under the passenger kick panel, then up into the dash and over to the radio. I think you have to pull the whole thing out through the firewall. Or else uncrew the antenna, pull the grommet off and let the wire and base dangle somewhere out of the way until you're done. There's a couple different styles so hopefully I'm not leading your wrong.

Thanks everyone for the input on the tape, by the way.

I've got one more project that may be coming up I want to ask about: motor mounts.
I am NOT shelling out for the full brown dog setup, just gonna level with that right off. That said, out of the tougher, cheaper and less complete options, anyone have any experiences to share?
Brown dog, Rusty's, Daystar, Currie, Mountain Offroad and a few others all seem to have the same basic design like the picture below, and cost varies from ~70-~120. Just trying to figure out if there's a real difference I should be aware of (other than poly vs rubber, I'm good on that part).

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #87814 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 10:00 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I seem to remember that the wire is continuous, it comes through the firewall and goes under the passenger kick panel, then up into the dash and over to the radio. I think you have to pull the whole thing out through the firewall. Or else uncrew the antenna, pull the grommet off and let the wire and base dangle somewhere out of the way until you're done. There's a couple different styles so hopefully I'm not leading your wrong.

Thanks everyone for the input on the tape, by the way.

I've got one more project that may be coming up I want to ask about: motor mounts.
I am NOT shelling out for the full brown dog setup, just gonna level with that right off. That said, out of the tougher, cheaper and less complete options, anyone have any experiences to share?
Brown dog, Rusty's, Daystar, Currie, Mountain Offroad and a few others all seem to have the same basic design like the picture below, and cost varies from ~70-~120. Just trying to figure out if there's a real difference I should be aware of (other than poly vs rubber, I'm good on that part).
Even if one of us had done an extensive trial/error comparison of all options, you'd still be stuck trusting someone's opinion which would be no different than trusting what each company dictates about their product.

D3<!L!>3D
post #87815 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 10:08 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Even if one of us had done an extensive trial/error comparison of all options, you'd still be stuck trusting someone's opinion which would be no different than trusting what each company dictates about their product.
Not quite the same, frankly I know who does what with their rigs around here and I tend to trust you guys to call bull**** more often. Marketing materials don't ever give a downside and old threads or reviews won't answer follow up questions.

I research before I toss out a question like this to you guys, but I do value the subjective input from people I actually have some knowledge of so I try not to color it with what I know unless it's to head off a suggestion outside my price range I know is coming or something, like the full brown dog or MORE reinforced setups in this case.

post #87816 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 10:20 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Not quite the same, frankly I know who does what with their rigs around here and I tend to trust you guys to call bull**** more often. Marketing materials don't ever give a downside and old threads or reviews won't answer follow up questions.

I research before I toss out a question like this to you guys, but I do value the subjective input from people I actually have some knowledge of so I try not to color it with what I know unless it's to head off a suggestion outside my price range I know is coming or something, like the full brown dog or MORE reinforced setups in this case.
If you account for the variables such as climate, elevation, each one of our driving habits...it still kinda leaves you in the dark as to what would work best for you. I could tell you the Browndogs are one of the best things I've done, but you gotta factor in that all I have to compare them to is my old stock units.
Driving habits are a huge variable, an example: How many of us would be able to say they've got 53k on Rustys white body shocks and they're still holding up fine.

D3<!L!>3D
post #87817 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 10:35 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If you account for the variables such as climate, elevation, each one of our driving habits...it still kinda leaves you in the dark as to what would work best for you.
That's actually kind of why I ask you guys, I at least have SOME idea of those factors. Reviews and marketing gives you nothing most of the time. For example your past testimony and what I know of your use case (damned hard on things like motor mounts compared to mine) is why Brown Dog is still on my list, even though they're more expensive than some other companies I've had good personal experience with.

Besides, if we didn't like talking through crap we'd all stick to the FSM and the manufacturer's instructions and leave each other alone, right?

post #87818 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 10:51 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

That's actually kind of why I ask you guys, I at least have SOME idea of those factors. Reviews and marketing gives you nothing most of the time. For example your past testimony and what I know of your use case (damned hard on things like motor mounts compared to mine) is why Brown Dog is still on my list, even though they're more expensive than some other companies I've had good personal experience with.

Besides, if we didn't like talking through crap we'd all stick to the FSM and the manufacturer's instructions and leave each other alone, right?
Exactly right! The last thing we want is for the XJ forum to get any quieter than it already has.
In the days that I repeatedly kept breaking motor mount bracket bolts I was bombing up and back down 3 miles of washboarded mountain road at 40mph every day. I kept that up for about 2yrs after the Browndog install with no more issues. But the last couple years has just been city and highway. That said, they still look and act like new. But I do firmly believe that the full-blown brackets have had something to do with that.

D3<!L!>3D
post #87819 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 11:01 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
But I do firmly believe that the full-blown brackets have had something to do with that.
It's a better design. I just don't have the extra couple hundred bucks to spend on them right now. Hell I'm only doing the mounts if the fan clearance after the new radiator seems a little sketchy.

There's a lot of other manufacturers for the 7/8 bolt engine side brackets, too and most sell them individually. It's certainly on the long-term list. Especially since the long term plan is to build a stroker when the 0331 finally catches up with me.

post #87820 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 11:23 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
Started pulling the outer front fenders off the silver Jeep and got hung up on the antenna wire. Anyone know how that unhooks? I am going to grind and repaint the whole inside of the wheel wells and wanted better access. Passenger side was easy, driver side not so much with that antenna wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Antenna wire connector is behind the passenger footwell kick panel, and notorious for vibrating apart causing the radio not to work.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #87821 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Antenna wire connector is behind the passenger footwell kick panel, and notorious for vibrating apart causing the radio not to work.
Got my sides mixed up there, yes, the passenger side. I can see the wire going through the rubber grommet into the foot well. I just wasn't sure if the piece that attaches to the fender itself came off easily. In reality I don't use AM or FM anyway so I could probably just pull the whole thing out of there and make my life easier. I have Pandora and Satellite. Just trying to avoid cutting that wire if I didn't have to. Nice to leave it hooked up as an option.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
post #87822 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 11:46 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

It's a better design. I just don't have the extra couple hundred bucks to spend on them right now. Hell I'm only doing the mounts if the fan clearance after the new radiator seems a little sketchy.
If your current mounts are sloppy enough for that to be an issue I would be replacing them anyways.

D3<!L!>3D
post #87823 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 11:54 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
Got my sides mixed up there, yes, the passenger side. I can see the wire going through the rubber grommet into the foot well. I just wasn't sure if the piece that attaches to the fender itself came off easily. In reality I don't use AM or FM anyway so I could probably just pull the whole thing out of there and make my life easier. I have Pandora and Satellite. Just trying to avoid cutting that wire if I didn't have to. Nice to leave it hooked up as an option.
You should be able to unscrew it enough to flip the bottom piece 90 where it'll fit up through the hole. Then the wire pulls on through if the connector behind the kickpanel is discoed.
RedJeepster1 likes this.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #87824 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

If your current mounts are sloppy enough for that to be an issue I would be replacing them anyways.
It's not an issue now, they look stock amd I can attest to at least 70k on them but the rubber shows no signs of tearing, notable cracking or sagging on visual inspection. No other symptoms I associatr with shot mounts, either. Just doing my research just in case the thicker rad proves me wrong and looks like it might be an issue. Want to be able to hop online and get a set in the mail immediately if it looks problematic.

post #87825 of 92326 Old 06-13-2017, 12:20 PM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

It's not an issue now, they look stock amd I can attest to at least 70k on them but the rubber shows no signs of tearing, notable cracking or sagging on visual inspection. No other symptoms I associatr with shot mounts, either. Just doing my research just in case the thicker rad proves me wrong and looks like it might be an issue. Want to be able to hop online and get a set in the mail immediately if it looks problematic.
Had a friend deal with that after installing a sbc350 in a Mazda b2000. He even went as far as to solid mount the brackets to eliminate movement. One test drive around the block and the bolts on the crank pulley dug a ring in his new aluminum radiator. The trial/error cost him big-time.
My point is, perhaps an electric fan should be your alternate plan.

D3<!L!>3D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in