What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 5584 - JeepForum.com
 821Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #83746 of 91880 Old 08-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC View Post
Well last night I discovered that the wiring harness for my OHC doesn't match the plugs in my Jeep. Mines a 98 and I think this harness came from an 01.

To the FSM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post
Be careful as there are 2 wires in that body harness that are white with a black stripe. One is switched 12v and the other is CCD bus +
You will have to switch the big connector that goes down in the fuse box area. Plus I am guessing that you will need to also do the same with your visor connectors assuming you have vanity mirrors in them. Look at that connector in the '01 harness for the visors. See it has 2 wires. Power and ground. Pretty sure a '98 is a one wire setup, power, with an internal ground. I have a '99 overhead harness to put in my '00. Almost wondering if we should swap. Thinking '97 to '99 are identical and '00 and '01 are. '99 internal ground on top. Pictures to show the differences in connectors. Sorry for the quality. '99 is always on the left and '00 on the right.

Attached Thumbnails
P3.jpg   P6.jpg   P7.jpg   P15.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #83747 of 91880 Old 08-23-2016, 02:53 PM
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hrm....maybe I pulled from a 99. That last picture is definitely the connector I have. In any case, my 98 apparently wants the OHC tp plug in to C301 and not into the junction block, which is where I pulled this harness out of.

I think.

Maybe.

Design previews and mad kid pics on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83748 of 91880 Old 08-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC View Post
Hrm....maybe I pulled from a 99. That last picture is definitely the connector I have. In any case, my 98 apparently wants the OHC tp plug in to C301 and not into the junction block, which is where I pulled this harness out of.

I think.

Maybe.
I am guessing you are talking the two connectors by the fuse box. Or are you talking about a third that is not part of the overhead or dome wiring harness? Other one is the same in both my '99 and '00 harness.

If you need any measurements for cutting holes in a dome light headliner let me know. I took the overhead headliner out of the '99 too and it would be easy to take some measurements and shots.
Attached Thumbnails
P13.jpg   P14.jpg  

post #83749 of 91880 Old 08-23-2016, 04:19 PM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
Good to know. At least one of my tires is out of balance, and for the price of balancing one tire, I could balance all four and not have to worry about re-balancing them in another 6 months. Did you guys pull all your old heel weights off when you added the bbs?
I started using BBs when I got sick of tossing the clip on rim weights . I pulled what ever weights were on the rim and put a handful of BBs in .

This was what the BBs looked like after about 20K miles :
Left side are out of the box and right side after 20K miles .

They were nicely polished and there was no sign of any dust or other debris inside the tire .

1995 Cherokee Country . Gone , but , not forgotten .

Goes around , comes around .
post #83750 of 91880 Old 08-23-2016, 07:30 PM
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Spent the day cutting fenders, reaming knuckles for 1 ton rod ends(this was a major PITA), and installing braided front lines.

For those who were wondering when reaming out knuckles one must use a tapered reamer. No big deal I figured. I drive to Home Depot, couldn't find so I ask. I get the response I hate hearing which is "I have never heard of that." This usually means I have once again found myself in need of something that nobody else needs. The result of this is usually me spending a couple hours driving around and spending way more money then planned.

Well once again I was right. 2 hours plus 100$ later for a bit I will probably use once. 2 additional hours of reaming knuckles and pitman arm oh and jamming my hands against the front axle from said bit catching...priceless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's Not Just a Jeep, It's a Lifestyle
post #83751 of 91880 Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 PM
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJK
Spent the day cutting fenders, reaming knuckles for 1 ton rod ends(this was a major PITA), and installing braided front lines. For those who were wondering when reaming out knuckles one must use a tapered reamer. No big deal I figured. I drive to Home Depot, couldn't find so I ask. I get the response I hate hearing which is "I have never heard of that." This usually means I have once again found myself in need of something that nobody else needs. The result of this is usually me spending a couple hours driving around and spending way more money then planned. Well once again I was right. 2 hours plus 100$ later for a bit I will probably use once. 2 additional hours of reaming knuckles and pitman arm oh and jamming my hands against the front axle from said bit catching...priceless.
Reaming knuckles are easy if you do them a few times haha. I bought the reamer from jcr when I did my first 1 ton. My buddies have all used it too lol.
post #83752 of 91880 Old 08-23-2016, 09:48 PM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJK View Post
Spent the day cutting fenders, reaming knuckles for 1 ton rod ends(this was a major PITA), and installing braided front lines.

For those who were wondering when reaming out knuckles one must use a tapered reamer. No big deal I figured. I drive to Home Depot, couldn't find so I ask. I get the response I hate hearing which is "I have never heard of that." This usually means I have once again found myself in need of something that nobody else needs. The result of this is usually me spending a couple hours driving around and spending way more money then planned.

Well once again I was right. 2 hours plus 100$ later for a bit I will probably use once. 2 additional hours of reaming knuckles and pitman arm oh and jamming my hands against the front axle from said bit catching...priceless.
You musta missed the guy at the Saturday morning market that had reamers of many different sizes for a buck apiece . I bought one I could use from about a half inch up to near two inches . Old school quality I never see anymore .

post #83753 of 91880 Old 08-23-2016, 10:01 PM
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ya next time I come across used tools reamers will make the list of items to look for.

It's Not Just a Jeep, It's a Lifestyle
post #83754 of 91880 Old 08-23-2016, 10:40 PM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm gonna buy a ball joint press, hoping my karma will cause me to never have a use for it.

D3<!L!>3D
post #83755 of 91880 Old 08-24-2016, 08:45 AM
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8
I'm gonna buy a ball joint press, hoping my karma will cause me to never have a use for it.
They come in handy. I have the HF one. I've owned it for years and it's paid for itself.. Some don't believe in harbor freight stuff. (Some tools I won't dare to buy from there. Compressors, grinders etc) but my press, torque wrench, engine hoist, low pro Jack does work!
post #83756 of 91880 Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeepGuy View Post

They come in handy. I have the HF one. I've owned it for years and it's paid for itself.. Some don't believe in harbor freight stuff. (Some tools I won't dare to buy from there. Compressors, grinders etc) but my press, torque wrench, engine hoist, low pro Jack does work!
We just got a Horror Freight here this last year. I've been cautious as to what I buy. But I don't do liability based shop work with anything I buy there. I got things like a tap/dye set, hole saws, metal working hammers, etc. I've stayed away from any power tools. But it's a great toy store just to browse for ideas.

D3<!L!>3D
post #83757 of 91880 Old 08-24-2016, 09:20 AM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I like that HF has and excellent return policy . Something not right , they replace it , no problem . I've had a couple things I took back and the second one was good . Like has been said : If you want to use it the rest of your life , buy the best . If you need it only a few times , HF .

post #83758 of 91880 Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeepGuy View Post

I bought that press. The C opened up before pressing out the first ball joint I tried to use it on.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #83759 of 91880 Old 08-24-2016, 10:55 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm planning to switch from BFG/AT KO1's to Goodyear Duratracs but keep getting told I'm not going to have as good of traction on snow and ice. Anybody have any experience to share?

D3<!L!>3D
post #83760 of 91880 Old 08-24-2016, 11:26 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
I'm planning to switch from BFG/AT KO1's to Goodyear Duratracs but keep getting told I'm not going to have as good of traction on snow and ice. Anybody have any experience to share?
My 33x12.5 Duratrec's do great in the snow. When they were in my YJ I could stop dead in a foot of snow, put it in 4hi and drop the clutch in 3rd. All four tires would spin and then I would launch through whatever was in front of me. It was a blast. They took me where I wanted to go. Helped that my YJ has a little extra power under my right foot though. This winter in my XJ (using the same tires) I almost never used 4wd, never needed it. I can't compare to the BFG's but I was not disappointed in the Goodyear's.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in