What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 5224 - JeepForum.com
 758Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #78346 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 07:09 AM
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I finally got around to installing new LED lights on my car hauler.

Name:  image-114409285.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  630.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #78347 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 07:44 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I have a ZJ fuel tank sitting at the house... Might look into that. Did they all run the same pressure? I have the whole Jeep and have been parting it out. It's got the 5.2.

Edit: looked up part numbers and they look to be the same. So I think I answered my own question.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78348 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 AM
Rum_Maximus

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
I have a ZJ fuel tank sitting at the house... Might look into that. Did they all run the same pressure? I have the whole Jeep and have been parting it out. It's got the 5.2.

Edit: looked up part numbers and they look to be the same. So I think I answered my own question.
Even though Bosch list two different part numbers on their website for the XJ & ZJ, the fuel pump seems to be the same unit.

The part# on the one I pulled from my XJ matchess the fuel pump that was in the ZJ tank.

Side by side, they're identical.

Alive & sober since 01 January 2016

post #78349 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum_Maximus View Post

I posted that before I typed everything out in my wannabe-build thread.

TL;DR - The gas tank out of a ZJ is a straight swap into an XJ and will get you 25 gallons.
Read that post. Any interference with tank skids and such?

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78350 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 AM
shooptube
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post

Can I have the engine to put in my XJ and you can have my stroker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
I am Moar low.
post #78351 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 AM
Rum_Maximus

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Read that post. Any interference with tank skids and such
No idea, but there's a NAXJA thread that seems to imply no issues.

I'll find out later this year when I get around to removing the hitch from my XJ & throwing on a gas tank skid.

post #78352 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:26 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No idea, but there's a NAXJA thread that seems to imply no issues.

I'll find out later this year when I get around to removing the hitch from my XJ & throwing on a gas tank skid.
Make sure and let us know. I'd appreciate a few extra gallons when towing but I'm not willing to give up my skid for it.

post #78353 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:27 AM
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Even though Bosch list two different part numbers on their website for the XJ & ZJ, the fuel pump seems to be the same unit.

The part# on the one I pulled from my XJ matchess the fuel pump that was in the ZJ tank.

Side by side, they're identical.
So is the ZJ tank taller, wider, or longer than the XJ tank? Where do the extra 5 gallons go? I ask, because my first thought is the pumps HAVE to be different in order to suck up the extra gas at the bottom. A 2" taller tank would do no good if the pump cant reach the bottom 2" of gas, you know?

Design previews and mad kid pics on
post #78354 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Rum_Maximus

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC View Post
So is the ZJ tank taller, wider, or longer than the XJ tank? Where do the extra 5 gallons go? I ask, because my first thought is the pumps HAVE to be different in order to suck up the extra gas at the bottom. A 2" taller tank would do no good if the pump cant reach the bottom 2" of gas, you know?
The pumps are identical based on the part numbers (unless years ago somebody put an XJ pump in the ZJ) and side-by-side you can't tell the difference physically between the two.

The fuel pump is spring-loaded and compresses somewhat when you put it in the tank, so the pick-up & filter are definitely sitting against the bottom of the gas tank. I'll snap some comparison photos later when I get home to show what I mean. I only had 2-1/2 gal of gas in there when I drove it to the gas station to top off, and didn't notice any sputtering or stumbling when going around corners.

While I didn't think to take a tape measure & compare the XJ tank vs ZJ tank, this post in one of the NAXJA threads indicates it's wider. It was a tight squeeze getting the ZJ tank in there as compared to the XJ tank that came out.

post #78355 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:52 AM
shooptube
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
The pumps are identical based on the part numbers (unless years ago somebody put an XJ pump in the ZJ) and side-by-side you can't tell the difference physically between the two.

The fuel pump is spring-loaded and compresses somewhat when you put it in the tank, so the pick-up & filter are definitely sitting against the bottom of the gas tank. I'll snap some comparison photos later when I get home to show what I mean. I only had 2-1/2 gal of gas in there when I drove it to the gas station to top off, and didn't notice any sputtering or stumbling when going around corners.

While I didn't think to take a tape measure & compare the XJ tank vs ZJ tank, this post in one of the NAXJA threads indicates it's wider. It was a tight squeeze getting the ZJ tank in there as compared to the XJ tank that came out.
Did some googling and the best I could find, agrees with Rum, apparently its hard to find a replacement ZJ gas tank? The tank looks a little wider next to an XJ tank. If someone could provide dimensions, that would be nice.

Quote:
I am Moar low.
post #78356 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post
Did some googling and the best I could find, agrees with Rum, apparently its hard to find a replacement ZJ gas tank? The tank looks a little wider next to an XJ tank. If someone could provide dimensions, that would be nice.
I'm in luck if I decide to do it I guess. There's at least 3 or 4 ZJ's being parted out on CL right now near me. I just really want to know if it's only wider and if it'll fit in the skid.

Rum, think you could take some quickie measurements on the width of that ZJ tank and the distance from the bottom of it to the floor of your XJ? That'd give enough to say yay or nay on trying it on I think.

post #78357 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Rum_Maximus

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Quote:
None of the local pick&pull yards that I checked had a ZJ available. I ended up finding one on Craigslist that was being parted out, so I would suspect that might be the place to look.

post #78358 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Thewiltz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Asking the important questions haha

Is that 5 extra gallons really worth it though?

Damn straight it is. 25% more capacity. When I drive my XJ I feel like all I'm doing is going to gas stations. Will be doing this very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #78359 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Thewiltz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got so excited about the 25gl ZJ fuel tank I forgot what I was going to post.

I just spent some $ at Rustys. The 3" lift I was going to put on in the spring is now being packaged up for delivery!!! Happy Mardi Gras/Peyton Manning got another ring day to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #78360 of 91574 Old 02-08-2016, 10:12 AM
shooptube
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Any self taught welders here?

What would you guys recommend I try to start practicing welding on?

What kind of metal and shapes?

I want to start with flux core since I already have everything I need to start.

Thanks all.

Quote:
I am Moar low.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in