What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 2312 - JeepForum.com
 758Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #34666 of 91573 Old 03-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Joshharris98xj
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pace
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeekid88

Custom
Very nice I like that look

Joshharris98xj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34667 of 91573 Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Back_In_Black
Registered User
 
Back_In_Black's Avatar
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,525
got a call from the guy with the 14 bolt today, and he agreed to hold it for me till I'm back in town.

now I'm going to go over to pirate and do some reading.
Back_In_Black is offline  
post #34668 of 91573 Old 03-24-2012, 06:38 PM
IDIdiesel
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: pittstown
Posts: 769
took some college buddies wheeling and high centered on a rock pile...showed them how to use a come-a-long

2015 Ford F350 crew cab, gasser
2001 Cherokee sport "AGENT ORANGE"
1991 Ford 7.3L IDI- FOR SALE
IDIdiesel is offline  
 
post #34669 of 91573 Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Oregon187
Registered User
 
Oregon187's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Somewhere in the middle
Posts: 594
Wheeled the day away!











I took my wife, sister-in-law, and two little kids. The first few hills and I almost passed out because the all sucked the the air out of the cab. But they lightened up and ended up having a blast. Now my wife wants me to lift her KJ I definitely can't afford a second lift that doesn't fit my XJ though.

All day long we went over some pretty hairy trails (for Indiana) I smacked my front diff on a rock (no damage), rubbed a couple saplings (no damage), I hit one little stick that I couldn't see hiding behind a big root and it bent my e-brake cable wheel and broke the fitting where the cable goes into the drum. No day ending damage though. And we had a great time.

2001 XJ build thread --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Oregon187 is offline  
post #34670 of 91573 Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM
jzoomer
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: canton
Posts: 66
^^^ Nice

i replaced all my vacuum lines and its running good, i had to modify the "vacuum harnesses" they sent idk how it the world they expected anyone to hook those up like they had it.....
jzoomer is offline  
post #34671 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Durt_Diver
Registered User
 
Durt_Diver's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Provo
Posts: 2,419
wheeled it at five mile pass.


at the top of constrictor, i had to turn around with like a 100 point turn and didn't know i was on this rock... slipped off and got stuck right on my axle.




a toyota came with us, it was carbureted and got flooded out on waynes world. had to get a pic of the jeep towing it

-Jacob-

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline  
post #34672 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 AM
DullesJeep
Registered User
 
DullesJeep's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dulles
Posts: 235

Yesterday (and a bit of the day before) I started on some routine maintenance. I got a late start in the day (noon) for everything I wanted to accomplish and sure enough, I ran out of day light. Before I started running into trouble I managed to change my oil, and clean my distributor cap and rotor. The thing was so dirty I'm surprised my Jeep was even running!

My serpentine belt had been on there for as long as I've owned my Jeep, and in my infinite wisdom and based of of my excellent decision making abilities, I decided that since I was going to replace that it would be a great time to bolt on the new Mean Green Alternator. Knowing that I had some grinding ahead of me, I haphazardly ripped off the old belt paying no attention to the routing, and unknowingly not loosening the power steering bracket enough to facilitate the installation of a new belt.
After removing the front skid plate (shovel), the battery and battery tray, burning through half a can of Aerokroil, cutting just about every knuckle on my hands, and getting utterly filthy from head to toe, I succeeded in getting the old alternator off.

I proceed to grind away the bracket where I noticed clearance issues for the newer and bigger alternator, but stupidly, I didn't attempt to bolt both bolts to the bracket to check for alignment prior to actually mounting the whole thing to the frame. The more you know...

Long story short, I soon found myself wrenching in the dark with only my cell phone's flash light, and the flood lights in my driveway. I ended up pulling the new alternator out since it wouldn't fit, putting the old one back in, and then struggled with the routing of my belt for what seemed like forever. Once I figured it out and consulted with ye old interwebs, I couldn't figure out why I didn't have enough slack to fit the belt over the last pulley.

I was in a bind since I had work that night, and had to try and slap everything back together to get it operational. That didn't end up happening, ended up being late for work, had to borrow my dad's car to get there, and overall accomplished very little.
The following morning in full daylight however, I could actually see to fix everything in under an hour.


Lessons learned:
  1. Don't start a project in the middle of the day
  2. Don't let routine maintenance turn into a huge project if you're short on time
  3. Getting penetrating oil in your cuts really hurts
  4. Wrenching in the dark is really freakin' hard
  5. Alternators are a PITA to install
  6. I might be slightly retarded based off of the mistakes made during this little "project"

Today however, I uneventfully changed my spark plugs.

It's a Jeep thing. Sometimes I don't even understand.
DullesJeep is offline  
post #34673 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Joshharris98xj
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pace
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DullesJeep

Yesterday (and a bit of the day before) I started on some routine maintenance. I got a late start in the day (noon) for everything I wanted to accomplish and sure enough, I ran out of day light. Before I started running into trouble I managed to change my oil, and clean my distributor cap and rotor. The thing was so dirty I'm surprised my Jeep was even running!

My serpentine belt had been on there for as long as I've owned my Jeep, and in my infinite wisdom and based of of my excellent decision making abilities, I decided that since I was going to replace that it would be a great time to bolt on the new Mean Green Alternator. Knowing that I had some grinding ahead of me, I haphazardly ripped off the old belt paying no attention to the routing, and unknowingly not loosening the power steering bracket enough to facilitate the installation of a new belt.
After removing the front skid plate (shovel), the battery and battery tray, burning through half a can of Aerokroil, cutting just about every knuckle on my hands, and getting utterly filthy from head to toe, I succeeded in getting the old alternator off.

I proceed to grind away the bracket where I noticed clearance issues for the newer and bigger alternator, but stupidly, I didn't attempt to bolt both bolts to the bracket to check for alignment prior to actually mounting the whole thing to the frame. The more you know...

Long story short, I soon found myself wrenching in the dark with only my cell phone's flash light, and the flood lights in my driveway. I ended up pulling the new alternator out since it wouldn't fit, putting the old one back in, and then struggled with the routing of my belt for what seemed like forever. Once I figured it out and consulted with ye old interwebs, I couldn't figure out why I didn't have enough slack to fit the belt over the last pulley.

I was in a bind since I had work that night, and had to try and slap everything back together to get it operational. That didn't end up happening, ended up being late for work, had to borrow my dad's car to get there, and overall accomplished very little.
The following morning in full daylight however, I could actually see to fix everything in under an hour.


Lessons learned:
[*]Don't start a project in the middle of the day[*]Don't let routine maintenance turn into a huge project if you're short on time[*]Getting penetrating oil in your cuts really hurts[*]Wrenching in the dark is really freakin' hard[*]Alternators are a PITA to install[*]I might be slightly retarded based off of the mistakes made during this little "project"


Today however, I uneventfully changed my spark plugs.
I always find my self waiting until about 4-5 to start a project and I never seem to learn my lesson....

As for me just drove up a few trails with the gf had a little fun. I ran Into a bronco lifted 12" on 35s goofiest rig I have ever seen he pretty much painted everything under it hunters orange.

QUESTION: how can I get my rear hatch open with a handle that won't work? Just take the inside panel off and pull it out or what
Joshharris98xj is offline  
post #34674 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM
N8N
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sterling
Posts: 224
Changed VC gasket. Bought o-rings for oil filter adapter yesterday because it was raining. Ordered cm oil filter and will put that on when I reseal adapter. Lost a washer (actually roommate did) reinstalling VC gasket so I have to go back to dealer tomorrow hopefully some fresh Rotella with a bottle of marvel mystery oil will shut up the dwarves in my motor, if not it is time for the pan to come down. But on the upside the head is clean enough to eat off of... I don't get it.
N8N is offline  
post #34675 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 06:25 PM
JeepSpeed18
Registered User
 
JeepSpeed18's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boise, ID for now
Posts: 1,441
Today I took the green Jeep out rock crawling. I learned just how nice it is having large tires and rock rails.






_=====ooooo
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|lllllll|
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\_|;
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

96 Jeep Cherokee 4" lift with 32" KM2's
94 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift with 29's!

JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket my life moto. :)

White Jeep Club Member #109


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
But yeah my 4.0 has been hydrolocked twice, ran upside down for 7 seconds it still keeps coming back for more. its like that crazy ex-girlfriend that just wont quit..but unlike her, its a good thing haha
JeepSpeed18 is offline  
post #34676 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Spokes
Registered User
 
Spokes's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 6,333
Going to trim tomorrow, weather permitting. Can u guys post some pics of your trimmed fenders. Just wanna get some ideas! Thanks!


Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline  
post #34677 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 07:10 PM
JeepXJMike20
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saginaw
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Going to trim tomorrow, weather permitting. Can u guys post some pics of your trimmed fenders. Just wanna get some ideas! Thanks!
check out my build thread. i got a bunch of pictures with my trimmed fenders. also use a 4.5" angle grinder with a cut offwheel and go slow dont want to rush it because it will be easy to mess up.

4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
JeepXJMike20 is offline  
post #34678 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Spokes
Registered User
 
Spokes's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJMike20

check out my build thread. i got a bunch of pictures with my trimmed fenders. also use a 4.5" angle grinder with a cut offwheel and go slow dont want to rush it because it will be easy to mess up.

Looks good. Did u cut the back after u folded it???
Im gonna use a dremel. Slow and steady lol


Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline  
post #34679 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 07:36 PM
19psi
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 331
I glanced at mine as I walked past it in the yard, right rear tire flat.

98 xj, 32x11.5 BFG KMs, welded rear, Long arms, 4-4.5" lift, custom bumpers, winch, H4 conversion, etc.
07 chevy duramax, CCLB, Banks stuff, 18" rockstars, 5" exhaust, HIDs, big stereo, and more.
kawasaki zx-12r 190 hp of pure death!
19psi is offline  
post #34680 of 91573 Old 03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
chriskeenan
Registered User
 
chriskeenan's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colton
Posts: 2,234
Drove mine to my friend funeral, not much else today.
chriskeenan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
TheBoogieman
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
What did you do to your mj today. 1987mj2wd MJ Comanche Technical Forum 86 07-21-2012 01:34 PM
What did you do to your XJ today? CanadianJeep86 XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum 87 02-21-2011 07:45 PM
What did you do with your xj/mj today? MuckShifter XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum 12 06-11-2008 09:59 PM
What did you do in your XJ today... Muniac XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 1 08-16-2007 07:29 PM
what i did today Twsty XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 8 02-01-2006 02:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome