1147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21406 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowicz96 View Post
^ it seems like a V8 swap would be much easier and cheaper but to each their own
No necessarily easier, no custom engine mounts and no clearance issues, as the 4.0 block is stock. Basically a rebuild with new parts, and a turbo. Alot less work than a v8 IMO. Propane injection is not that complicated either.
Now cheaper... yeah a v8 would be, but I would rather have a straight 6. Keeping it all jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarS View Post
How would it perform without the turbo? d you have hp/torque specs? Does the AW4 can take all that power?

That will be a really sweet engine
He said he is using a T19 4 speed. An AW4 wouldn't take that much power.

Now cowboy you better get this done fast because I want to see it in action.

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21407 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 02:21 PM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
No necessarily easier, no custom engine mounts and no clearance issues, as the 4.0 block is stock. Basically a rebuild with new parts, and a turbo. Alot less work than a v8 IMO. Propane injection is not that complicated either.
Now cheaper... yeah a v8 would be, but I would rather have a straight 6. Keeping it all jeep.

He said he is using a T19 4 speed. But the AW4 with some after market internals I hear can handle 600ft lbs of torque (400 stock).

Now cowboy you better get this done fast because I want to see it in action.
agree 100%. How would a V8 swap be easier? You'd have to fab up mounts, and find a way to stuff it in there, which I'm sure would move things around. Nevermind the fact that you would have to do a lot of rewiring. Which is a major PITA. Plus what kind of V8 would you swap? Chevy 350, Chrysler 318? If you swapped those stock, cowboy's setup would still make more power. To develop the same power you'd be talking about modding the V8, which costs money. I like V8s as much as the next guy, but a straight six making that kinda power would be awesome and have a wicked torque curve. A lot of people mod V8s and stuff them into even unimaginable vehicles (I've seen one in a lawn tractor), but modding a straight six isn't as common. Looking forward to a kick*** build thread.

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #21408 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
agree 100%. How would a V8 swap be easier? You'd have to fab up mounts, and find a way to stuff it in there, which I'm sure would move things around. Nevermind the fact that you would have to do a lot of rewiring. Which is a major PITA. Plus what kind of V8 would you swap? Chevy 350, Chrysler 318? If you swapped those stock, cowboy's setup would still make more power. To develop the same power you'd be talking about modding the V8, which costs money. I like V8s as much as the next guy, but a straight six making that kinda power would be awesome and have a wicked torque curve. A lot of people mod V8s and stuff them into even unimaginable vehicles (I've seen one in a lawn tractor), but modding a straight six isn't as common. Looking forward to a kick*** build thread.
Yeah 450hp is alot to ask of a "simple" v8 swap isn't it. a stock 350 is only like 300hp on a good day anyway.

I6 all the way.

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.

post #21409 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 02:32 PM
1997_Sport

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Installed a better noncut console...

1997 TJ with some stuff done to it.
post #21410 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 02:41 PM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Yeah 450hp is alot to ask of a "simple" v8 swap isn't it. a stock 350 is only like 300hp on a good day anyway.

I6 all the way.
Thats what I'm saying. My friend had a Chevy 1500 short bed 2wd with a 350. It was really loud with his flowmaster exhaust, but didn't seem to have much power. An XJ is lighter so it would probably seem better in that, but in the truck it just seemed kinda sluggish. My friend could burn tires forever, but if we both floored in on the highway my '90 XJ with a 177 hp RENIX would pull ahead. Modern V8s (such as a 4.7L HO) develop much more hp, but would also be more of a challenge to swap in.

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #21411 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
My "new" clock spring arrived yesterday, so I installed it today.

New (to me) one

Old one, I think that stuff sticking out may have had something to do with its failure, lol.

The light is off now, and the horn works Yay. Now I can audibly announce my frustration with bad drivers, like this morning on my way to school. Gaaa.. wtf was that guy high on.. Treated a stoplight intersection like he had never heard of a stoplight before, slowly rolled forward when the light turned green about 3 feet with his left blinker on (in the 3rd to the left lane). Then he stopped.... waited 10 seconds, rolled forward a few more feet, and repeat. When he got forward enough for me to get around him I gunned it of course (no horn so the muffler had to do)... Then he preceded down the road at about 5-6 mph for 2 blocks before turning (behind me)... grr.

But my cruise still doesn't work. The light comes on when you click on, but it wont set. I dont know what the problem is though. Another day...

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
post #21412 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 PM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
He said he is using a T19 4 speed. An AW4 wouldn't take that much power.
I've heard otherwise. The AW4 also known as the A340E was also used in several Toyota, Lexus, and Volvo cars and trucks including the 86-92 Supra Turbo. I've heard of several 600-700+hp Supra drag cars still using the stock transmission with no issues.

96 XJ:

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
***** inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
post #21413 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
I've heard otherwise. The AW4 also known as the A340E was also used in several Toyota, Lexus, and Volvo cars and trucks including the 86-92 Supra Turbo. I've heard of several 600-700+hp Supra drag cars still using the stock transmission with no issues.
I have heard it would take 400 ft-lbs torque stock, 600 upgraded, but I could not confirm that anywhere. Not that I tried very hard.

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
post #21414 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 03:40 PM
bldeagle10

1999 XJ Cherokee 

decided i want a super 44. and picked a day to do a much needed tune up. change oil in the diffs. put anti seize on the slip yoke, new ATF...hmm what else could i do....plugs dist cap and rotor and wires are new...good on oil till 312k miles...oh drop fuel tank and clean it out cause its much needed!

anyone know where i can get the little catch bag filter deal its self. i dont want to do the actual fuel filter since im broke at the moment. i want to at least try and get that replaced.

1999 XJ Cherokee SE 4.0 330k miles, DD, 2" spacers Chili Pepper Red

FS: 2000 XJ 4.0 ECU pm for details!
Build Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by egodfrey View Post
my diffs and unibody rails have more scrapes then an emo-girls arm
post #21415 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM
JeepSpeed18

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Got a piece of 3 foot 1.5" Dom tubing with .25 wall today. Gonna be buliding a custom tie rod in the next few days. Also dicovered my passenger side coil is contacting the unibody. Definetly need to get that fixed.

_=====ooooo
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|lllllll|
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\_|;
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

96 Jeep Cherokee 4" lift with 32" KM2's
94 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift with 29's!

JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket my life moto. :)

White Jeep Club Member #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
But yeah my 4.0 has been hydrolocked twice, ran upside down for 7 seconds it still keeps coming back for more. its like that crazy ex-girlfriend that just wont quit..but unlike her, its a good thing haha
post #21416 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 04:22 PM
7urtle

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92XJCowboy View Post
I realized how many projects I am going to be taking in the next year. Im almost gonna be to broke for beer... Almost.

So far this is my list
Stroker - Have the block laying around and have been wanting to embarrass the "fast cars" here at school

T19 4sp tranny - Needed to hold the power of the motor

D300 - Needed to hold the power of the motor

Lift/tires - 3.5" lift with 33x12.5x15" MT's

Roll cage/full frame plating - Im going into a Chassis fabrication class so all I need is the material

3 link front - Chassis fab class

4 link rear - Might be needed to transmit the power to the ground

Ford 9" rear - Needed to hold the power of the motor with the tires

D30 front with lots of spare shafts - No point in going to a D44 and I cant afford to build a 609

Comanche Trailer - Already started and have all the parts. Just need to weld it together and wire it up.
i wish i could build stuff at mine

hit it with a hammer

-1UMF a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor
post #21417 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 04:29 PM
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Added some beef to my RC front dif skid, turned out pretty smooth for not having any bondo or anything like that.

Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
post #21418 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Xjpionner
1989 MJ Comanche 

I just lit the damn thing on fire...

Seriously.

Can't spell my own user name
post #21419 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
keepishop

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjpionner View Post
I just lit the damn thing on fire...

Seriously.
pics?

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap,

Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
post #21420 of 92953 Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The ****ing hardline for the brake on the passenger side is all rusted, and i guess moving it around made it explode. while i was bleeding the brakes i noticed this.

I hope i can get it fixed before rausch.

Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in