What are the benefits of a CB Radio? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
BamaXJ

1989 XJ Cherokee 

What are the benefits of a CB Radio?

I'm getting further into my build stages, and the one thing that I haven't done yet, which I've seen others do on their build threads, is adding a CB radio and antennae. I've been wheeling for about 4 years now and have never wheeled with someone who has used one or had the need for one. We've never been in a situation, YET, and I pray it stays that way.

But, I am wondering the benefits of adding a decent CB, as well as an antennae.

This is a serious question!

1989 Jeep Cherokee:
Lift, tires, suspension, accessories, and other crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Mike
oooh you almost had it

some clubs, (like ours) require them which is usually the only time i actually use it. other than those long road trips on the interstate
post #3 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 AM
PAXJ98

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudvain View Post
some clubs, (like ours) require them which is usually the only time i actually use it. other than those long road trips on the interstate
He's right. Plus, some places require that you have one so you can radio in if you get stuck. Cops monitor a few channels I think (I may be wrong here) so you "could" use it in event of emergency I guess...?

Or talk to your relatives while escaping the cops. And, then of course you can pretend to your last name is Duke

"If it rips out of the engine and starts preying on small mammals then its the 0331 head."

post #4 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
jeepwrangler97

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When you have a group they're great for communicating, as said already a lot of clubs require them.
post #5 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 11:49 AM
85and94and
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm going to install one after the holidays. They are cheap insurance. I just moved to SW Colorado, and my cell phone is pretty useless outside of town...
post #6 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 AM
vanillathrilla

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bandit calling Snowman.. You got your ears on good buddy?

'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
post #7 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
BamaXJ

1989 XJ Cherokee 

I guess it would be a smart investment then. I have noticed they we all tend to hang our arms out of the window to direct the others behind us to avoid a certain rut or to point something else out. By the time I've relayed the information, BOOM! they're already stuck.

Problem is, now I've got to convince my young group of guys to get one (18-22). I was the first to install a winch, and while others haven't done it yet, they're really thanking me for having one. Maybe this will be the same.

Thanks guys!

1989 Jeep Cherokee:
post #8 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 12:14 PM
XJohnnyC

A couple years ago, I was leading a group of about 8 XJs on Gold Mountain up in Big Bear.The front side of the mountain had a lot of snow. The back side of the mountain was very icy, since it's shielded from the sun.

We were headed down and hit a section where I started to slide downhill. First instinct is to brake, but I had to stay off the brake as much as possible to retain what little traction I had. It was sketchy, but still fun at the same time.

When I reached the bottom, I got on the CB to tell everybody to be careful, go one at a time, and to give the guy in front plenty of room. Next thing I know, everybody's sliding down the hill running into each other. One guy even spun around and was sliding down the hill backwards until he ran into the guy in front of him.

WTH, didn't you guys hear me on the CB? Well, I find out one guy's CB didn't work, another didn't have the volume up, and a couple others didn't have them turned on.

So yes, a CB can be very useful. But you have to monitor them in order for them to be effective.
post #9 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
BamaXJ

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Oh man - sounds like a hell of a night right there. We do mostly night time wheeling on private property of our friend's (100+ acres of trail, mud, and a few rock gardens). I really am convinced that these things would greatly benefit our group. And hell, even if I never get use out of it I can always install a PA!

1989 Jeep Cherokee:
post #10 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
webdog

1990 XJ Cherokee 

CB are good but they have limited range, from a few hundred yards to in good conditions maybe 5 miles. Most my groups have CB problem is not many have been tuned and only work if you are close to each other.

A CB will probably not get you help if you needed it, ie medical, police, etc...

Another group I belong to almost everyone is a HAM (KJ6KXI), and we don't use the CB ver much anymore just HAM and it is amazing to have crystal clear communications on the trail and anywhere on the mountain. I have hit repeaters from my jeep over 150 miles away. I also have local forrest service and police programmed into my HT unit that in a case of emergency I "could" talk to the dispatch directly. (This is for only real bad life threatening emergency! not help I got a flat tire) I also do a lot of remote trails with no cell signal that only a HAM radio would be able to get signal out.
post #11 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
BamaXJ

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the information, I need somebody with that type of range for when I go up north to the mountains. Also, I'll definitely be checking out your website - sounds amazing.

1989 Jeep Cherokee:
post #12 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Kevin108

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen them used to turn every Jeep on a trail ride into a sort of chat room. Anybody talking can be heard by everyone for info, tips, etc. Spotters often use handheld models so he can be in a safe position out of your way and doesn't have to scream over top of your engine noise.

My build thread has pics again. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/kevin108s-2000-xj-build-867428/
post #13 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
xxxflhrci

Like others have said they are great off-road to communicate with people in your group.

On a recent road trip, we got stuck in traffic from a wreck. At that time, I thought it would be nice to have a CB in my other vehicles. I went home and scored a like new Cobra Road handheld off of eBay for 30 bucks. It has a portable antenna, plus a magnetic one you can put on your roof. I used it last week on a road trip. It worked great. The radio, both antennas, and power cord fit nicely in a zippered bag for storage.
post #14 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 09:51 PM
EricsXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

We use CBs all the time, even if its a small "group" of just two rigs. Its nice to communicate on the way to the trail, on the trail, and on the ride home. And besides the convenience aspect, they can be an important tool as XJohnnyC illustrated above.

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Texsun

1999 XJ Cherokee 

communication what else?

along with the emergancy freqs and weather reports

This is my entire CB setup "Cobra 75 WX ST" its an all in one set up doesnt get in the way plus its quick disco and can be hidden or moved to another vehicle. The power inverter for the CB setup is under the console kept out of the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in