Value of what is essentially just a GREAT XJ body - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Wyo1

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Value of what is essentially just a GREAT XJ body

I have have a 1999 XJ that I bought ostensibly, In very good shape and Mechanically sound.. 134K miles.
Well the only accurate part is the body and the paint etc. ARE in fantastic shape with absolutely 0 rust.

That is where it ends, Tranny roasted, had low fluid, 2 quarts Black trans fluid, engine run without coolant Dry for 110 miles, radiator clogged, Mirrors don't work electrically, , overhead display dead, (Limited edition jeep) throws codes but no check engine light. drivers window regulator stripped, passenger window cocks on opening. Lots of issues...

So what is a Fantastic XJ body worth, cause that's what I got.
Richard

Last edited by Wyo1; 09-18-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 10:31 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

It's gotta be a matter of love, or you'll never finish it to reap the benefits of your investment. Just write down the problems on a bunch of sticky notes, then put them in order of importance. And off ya go, one project at a time.

D3<!L!>3D
post #3 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 11:09 AM
wytetrash

Make a list of everything it needs and price things out accordingly. If you truly love that particular rig, a little time and money can go a long way to make it your dream rig Think of it this way, your options are wide open now with needing to replace things anyway

2000 Wrangler TJ - 5.2 Magnum Swap
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Duramax - Daily

post #4 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 02:46 PM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Unless that 4.0 is locked up or so warped from overheating I bet it can be repaired, in a garage by a guy with the right tools and patience.

If it will start, put a can of sea foam in the oil and let it run. Drain and put a new filter on it. Repeat. You will likely uncover some leaks doing this. Rear main seal, etc. (At least the oil is black and not a milk shake.)
Tranny I bet you can drain, clean the pan, and flush the whole system. Keep draining and flushing with fresh tranny fluid until it stays cherry red. Add a spin on filter to catch junk. Replace filter after 1000 miles or so with a new one.
Change the thermostat and flush the cooling system and heater core or flush then change the thermostat, whatever the proper order is.

The 4.0 is a robust engine more akin to a tractor engine than anything else. They are tough but can overheat.

Get the fluids sorted out and as long as you don't have a cracked head or warped block or head I bet it will be fine. Just take some time and many flushes and filter changes.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 04:29 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

How much do you want for it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo1 View Post

So what is a Fantastic XJ body worth, cause that's what I got.

Do a KKB report and check out the usual place you find XJ's for sale. Subtract the retail cost of used parts and install labor for the repairs.

Around here good used 150,000 mile motors are $3-500 and good used AW-4 with a 90 day warranty are $150-250. You could be on the road for not much and work on getting the busted junk rebuilt, or just sell it as a good runner.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 04:40 PM
kadetklapp
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Ideally you would already have an excellent running, driving, lifted, modded, but ROTTED/wrecked one sitting there just waiting for a decent shell to transfer everything over to. Mighty Car Mods loves doing this. To do it right is lots of work but pretty fun and you’d have a well sorted rig.

**1997 Jeep Cherokee SE**
Former Police Car assigned to 54-26, RIP.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 05:06 PM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't want to fix it, part it out on your local craigslist or ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #8 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 07:12 PM
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, how much for it, and where are you? I'm in the market for a project.

2014 JKU Rubicon *DAILY DRIVER*
Gone but not forgotten; 2005 LJ *SOLD* 1987 XJ *SOLD* 2002 WJ *SOLD* 1995 ZJ *SOLD*
post #9 of 18 Old 09-18-2019, 05:36 AM
75SV1

KBB has been a pain to look up used cars last time I tried to use it. Yours in good running condition would probably fetch around $5,000, possibly more. As a body only, rust free, I'd say $800 to $1200. Also, what is the interior like?
A lot of the cost for people is the cost of taking out and putting in a trans or engine. About $800 for the engine possibly more. I'd say the same for the trans. Some XJs or even other vehicles go to the PnP or Salvage yards because the cost of replacing an engine or trans is about $3,000. I would say you could pick up a used 4.0L for about $300 to $500. The trans about $100 to $200. I did do a search for a trans in WY from your last thread. There was one in WY for $2,000 rebuilt on Car-Parts Inc. In OR and WA a lot better picks.
OK, lets get to the trans. Is it bad or just needs some electrical work? First, yes check the fluid level. First check it not running. The level should be way above the fill level, about the first Z bend. Then start the vehicle. With it in neutral, check the fluid. Did the level drop? Drop to in specs? That good if so. It means the pump is working. If not, then bad, pump not working, needs replaced. If pump is working, unplug the Transmission Control Unit (TCU). Its on the trans tunnel, up by the radio on the drivers side. Drive it like a manual. shifting the 'gears'. You will not have trans kick down. So, brake to slow down to appropriate speed level to shift. Yes, I'd also do a fluids change, also a filter change.
The motor, does it lose coolant? What's the compression on the cylinders? The coolant could be warped or cracked head. Or water pump, radiator, radiator cap etc. Black oil is not the death of an engine. Some of the synthetics change black quick. So, I think you need to trace down the issues and see if it is repairable.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-18-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Wyo1

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
KBB has been a pain to look up used cars last time I tried to use it. Yours in good running condition would probably fetch around $5,000, possibly more. As a body only, rust free, I'd say $800 to $1200. Also, what is the interior like?
A lot of the cost for people is the cost of taking out and putting in a trans or engine. About $800 for the engine possibly more. I'd say the same for the trans. Some XJs or even other vehicles go to the PnP or Salvage yards because the cost of replacing an engine or trans is about $3,000. I would say you could pick up a used 4.0L for about $300 to $500. The trans about $100 to $200. I did do a search for a trans in WY from your last thread. There was one in WY for $2,000 rebuilt on Car-Parts Inc. In OR and WA a lot better picks.
OK, lets get to the trans. Is it bad or just needs some electrical work? First, yes check the fluid level. First check it not running. The level should be way above the fill level, about the first Z bend. Then start the vehicle. With it in neutral, check the fluid. Did the level drop? Drop to in specs? That good if so. It means the pump is working. If not, then bad, pump not working, needs replaced. If pump is working, unplug the Transmission Control Unit (TCU). Its on the trans tunnel, up by the radio on the drivers side. Drive it like a manual. shifting the 'gears'. You will not have trans kick down. So, brake to slow down to appropriate speed level to shift. Yes, I'd also do a fluids change, also a filter change.
The motor, does it lose coolant? What's the compression on the cylinders? The coolant could be warped or cracked head. Or water pump, radiator, radiator cap etc. Black oil is not the death of an engine. Some of the synthetics change black quick. So, I think you need to trace down the issues and see if it is repairable.
The vehicle arrived on a truck, I didn't start it, trucker did, on start it rolled black smoke. I found it had 0 coolant, compression just only enough to barely run. its hatched, the Tranny had less than 2 quarts in it and reeked of burnt fluid and was black,Sot it was gone too. I paid 5500.00 for it + shipping.
I found a whole engine, tranny, transfer case and am having that shipped as one piece, I am thinking I will install as one piece too, though I don't quite know how that will go.Knowledgeable thoughts on this welcome.

This was advertised and runs great and mechanically sound. I am not happy about that at all. I am in a bind as I was just going to do an old man emu suspension and have it for a jeep this winter as I get lots of snow and am very isolated. See my avatar, I am NOT out wheeling, I am coming home and I am on my road, I had got it plowed that morning but the wind came up before I got back home. That's my old jeep with over 300 K before the kid wrecked it, I the bought current one under discussion, to replace it. I got to demand some money back from the seller, I just wonder how much. I am thinking 3K-3500.

Here is the original ad:
For sale is a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic with 133,856 original miles on the clock.