Steady Rotating Sound/Noise coming from the axles area when driving - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBoogieman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-31-2020, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Steady Rotating Sound/Noise coming from the axles area when driving

Someone mentioned this not too long ago on here somewhere but i never read any feedbacks on it and I am having the Same Issue...

Ever since I have had this 2000 XJ A/T 4x4 it has a steady sound coming from the axle area or tires But, the sound is what I would consider to be something like bearings, dry bearings, dry axle spinning on metal (all guesses), the sound is kind of like a: metal on metal.

(can this be Normal for these XJ's could it?)

It is definitely when the tires are turning and it becomes slightly noticeable at about 20 mph and will get a bit louder as I pick up speed, if I dont have the radio on I can here this steady sound very clearly, it. Compared to any other vehicle I have driven I would say this steady sound is pretty loud/annoying (though I am starting to get used to it).

It is a Steady rotation type sound and my first thought is metal on metal - bearings, axle etc...?

It does Not sound like Tire Road Noise.

I an almost Positive it is Not the brake shoes dragging/rubbing as the sound Never Changes while I put steady pressure on the brake pedal and keep the jeep traveling at speed.

I get out and Touch each wheel with the back of my fingers and all four wheels are Cool so I dont think it is a wheel bearing.

(and Yes, all fluids are Fresh and are the Correct Fluids for my year make and model - Front Axle, Rear Axle, Transfer Case, Transmission, Engine... All have Fresh Fluids in them)

Anyone have a similar noise?
Was it resolved?
Is this a Normal road noise for these XJ's?

Thank You,
Bo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Nothing?

Anyone have a similar noise?
Was it resolved?
Is this a Normal road noise for these 4x4 XJ's?

Thank You,
Bo
post #3 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine did that when the wheel bearings were bad. Jack it up and spin each wheel to see if you can hear the noise or move the wheel in and out. I replaced the wheel bearings/hub assembly, axle u-joints and ball joints while it was apart. My axle u-joints seemed fine, but on one of them the needle bearings had turned to dust when I removed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK on 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
SOLD 99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / 33" DC tires.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Ive had the front wheels up off the ground, just one at a time with the opposite wheel still on the ground. I tried to spin the lifted wheel but the front driveline spins with it and the lifted wheel does Not want to spin freely because of That. The lifted wheel Will spin but Not Freely ( not freely IMO).

Front wheels - one tire on the ground one tire off the ground, TC in 2 wheel drive... is the front driveline supposed to turn when spinning the lifted front wheel?

Do I need to have Both the front wheels lifted off the ground and then spin one at a time to check for bearing issues?

Thank You,
Bo
post #5 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I'm out in garage Right Now. Lifted the front axle again. No 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock movement, pulling/pushing on wheel, Solid. Spun each wheel, sounds Normal to me, no grinding noise or anything like that.

Lifted the while rear axle/wheels off the ground. One wheel off, spin the brake drum forward and backward as fast as i can by hand. There is a Constant, steady, fast Clicking sound coming from the rear axle. I put my ear close to the left outer axle housing and then to the right outer axle housing and the clicking is pronounced in sound. I put my ear to the carrier in the center of the axle housing and seems slightly less pronounced clicking sound.

I pulled and pushed, in and out on the Hub or Wheel at Both ends of the axle housing and each one moves In and Out about a millimeter or so.

I believe my Highway sound may have something to do with this rear end?

Thank You,
Bo
post #6 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 11:41 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderboy1961 View Post
There is a Constant, steady, fast Clicking sound coming from the rear axle. I put my ear close to the left outer axle housing and then to the right outer axle housing and the clicking is pronounced in sound.
I believe my Highway sound may have something to do with this rear end?
Sounds like it's time to investigate.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK on 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Mine did that when the wheel bearings were bad. Jack it up and spin each wheel to see if you can hear the noise or move the wheel in and out. I replaced the wheel bearings/hub assembly, axle u-joints and ball joints while it was apart. My axle u-joints seemed fine, but on one of them the needle bearings had turned to dust when I removed it.
When you lifted the front end and spun each front wheel... did you have any abnormal noise coming from either bearing?
Any grinding type noise?

When you moved each front wheel in and out... was there some play in the bearing, did the wheels move in and out or were they solid?

What do you think was causing the road noise in your rig at that time... wheel bearings? axle u joints?

Each time I take this rig for a drive I will stop 15 minutes or so into the drive, get under the rig and hand touch all the areas that have bearings and u joints... always normal temperature, nothing HOT that would bring me to a conclusion I have a worn part.

Thank You,
Bo
post #8 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 10:59 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When you lifted the front end and spun each front wheel... did you have any abnormal noise coming from either bearing?
Any grinding type noise?

When you moved each front wheel in and out... was there some play in the bearing, did the wheels move in and out or were they solid?

What do you think was causing the road noise in your rig at that time... wheel bearings? axle u joints?

Each time I take this rig for a drive I will stop 15 minutes or so into the drive, get under the rig and hand touch all the areas that have bearings and u joints... always normal temperature, nothing HOT that would bring me to a conclusion I have a worn part.
I didn't have any movement or play anywhere that was visible. Once everything was apart, the worn parts were obvious. If you don't have any problems effecting the driving, I'd keep driving it until you do and something gets worse. Sometimes that's the only way to KNOW what's wrong, if anything. My axle u-joints started binding up while turning before I just replaced everything because they were original 20 year old parts. My original 21 year old radiator started leaking yesterday. Time to replace it when the weather is below 90 with 95% humidity.
riderboy1961 likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-05-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I didn't have any movement or play anywhere that was visible. Once everything was apart, the worn parts were obvious. If you don't have any problems effecting the driving, I'd keep driving it until you do and something gets worse. Sometimes that's the only way to KNOW what's wrong, if anything. My axle u-joints started binding up while turning before I just replaced everything because they were original 20 year old parts. My original 21 year old radiator started leaking yesterday. Time to replace it when the weather is below 90 with 95% humidity.
I'll use your advice and not worry about it. When something gets bad and it is Obvious of what the problem is... I'll fix it.

rockauto.com has a CSF 3 row All Metal radiator for $242.79 and a CSF 2 row All Metal radiator for $185.79 - I believe the ones I was looking at are Direct Fit into the XJ w/ A/T.
I am thinking the Old School - All Metal radiator would be the way.

Thank You,
Bo
post #10 of 10 Old 06-07-2020, 11:57 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll use your advice and not worry about it. When something gets bad and it is Obvious of what the problem is... I'll fix it.

rockauto.com has a CSF 3 row All Metal radiator for $242.79 and a CSF 2 row All Metal radiator for $185.79 - I believe the ones I was looking at are Direct Fit into the XJ w/ A/T.
I am thinking the Old School - All Metal radiator would be the way.
I was going to get my usual Mopar radiator, but couldn't find one for under $350. CSF radiators get some horrible reviews. I'm just going with one from a company I've been using for years (AM-Autoparts). They give you free shipping, a 10 year warranty on all parts and no hassles if you ever have a problem. I bought some headlights for my car and one came with a tiny scratch in a place that didn't matter. I told them and they sent me a new pair free and told me to keep the old ones. They give you the option to just get your money back too. Great people.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in