3Likes
  • 1 Post By SmashDN
  • 2 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Smittybilt XRC vs. JCR Vanguard Rear Bumper

I like the looks of both. I really like the fact that the JCR has the cutouts for aux backup lights. That would be handy backing boats while duck hunting.

As far as styling I like the XRC just a touch more. Both have integrated hitch receivers which is why I want a new bumper. I have a "one size' receiver on mine now and it occasionally drags and my dad-blamed tail-pipe hits it.

Questions for the group: 1) Any major differences in how they attach?
2) Any reason I couldn't add cut outs and mounts for led cubes on the XRC?
3) Will the JCR rear lower quarter panel armor match up well enough with the Smittybilt bumper you reckon?

There is a significant price difference between the two so I would really need a compelling argument to pay ~75% more for the JCR bumper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-14-2019, 10:45 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Links to, or pictures of, the aforementioned bumpers ?

Unless the bumper you choose mounts to the frame rails with a minimum of three bolts, I would not tow anything bigger than a suburban yard lawn tractor.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-17-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Smittybilt > https://www.quadratec.com/products/12057_8100_07.htm or http://www.smittybiltdepot.com/Smitt..._pn=S%2fB76850
JCR Vanguard > https://www.quadratec.com/products/12249_734X_PG.htm

I know that the JCR attaches utilizing the frame rails and new nut strips. Watched the Bleepin Jeep vids on the install. Was hoping someone here had some firsthand knowledge having installed the XRC, maybe even both. Maybe they were agonizing over the same decision and trying to figure out if the Smittybilt price was too good to be true like I was. That second link on the XRC has both the bumper and the rear quarter protectors as a kit. It also shows the attachment hardware and it looks to have the nut strips too.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 PM
BSM

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Angry

So I just purchased the Smittybilt XRC bumper a month ago, and while I want to love it, their support is pretty horrible. It took 3 weeks for them to ship me the bumper (understandable given current customs situation). Once it arrived, the tire carrier would not properly attach to the bumper, so I immediately filmed a video and tried to get ahold of their tech support. Key word tried. It took me 2 weeks to get a response from them, at which time they asked me to send them a video (which I already did). Its been another 2 weeks, and allegedly "there is a new tire carrier in the mail". Overall, I spent over $600 for a new bumper with a tire carrier, and still do not have a tire carrier. Just a warning.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 AM
JeepN4KC

2001 XJ Cherokee 

So Im admittedly trolling here but I just don't see the point of spending upwards of 25% of the value of the vehicle on a rear bumper......

The cheapest funtional route would be my vote. If you already have a hitch and are currently towing with it seems to me that's your best option.

~Mike~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
post #6 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 05:46 AM
shooptube
Big Brother

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Here is one of the most detailed reviews you can have on a rear bumper by one of our forum members, @wizardPC

http://gunscarstech.com/2015/01/03/s...-installation/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
I am Moar low.
Build Thread:

Instagram:
post #7 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 05:53 AM
shooptube
Big Brother

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Also, if you want another affordable option, check out Dirtbound Offroad's rear mojave bumper.

Im running their DIY version that is set up for a cut and fold and then added their tire carrier kit.

squat.jpg

stuffed.jpg

water-background.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
I am Moar low.
Build Thread:

Instagram:
post #8 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
So Im admittedly trolling here but I just don't see the point of spending upwards of 25% of the value of the vehicle on a rear bumper......

The cheapest funtional route would be my vote. If you already have a hitch and are currently towing with it seems to me that's your best option.
I don't know that it is trolling. What you posited is a legitimate question imo. I am trying to get some first hand knowledge between those two (and other options if someone knows better).

Ground Clearance is issue 1.
Tail pipe (which is in the correct position and where I want it) hitting the "one size fits most" receiver is issue number dos.
A spot to mount led cube lights so I have better backup lights is desire #1. I go to dark and dangerous places. Places with mud that will swallow the whole jeep. Places a long way away from help. I have skirted one major snafu due to this (luckily) before and have no desire to do it again.
I don't like the look of the faded rubber baby bumpers on the corners.

Lastly, if I used the logic of doing the cheapest fix I would never have made the several upgrades I have made. A lead acid battery is cheaper than a optima. You don't need synthetic fluids or a transmission fluid filter but I did it. Certainly didn't have to do the durango steering box deal but I did it. LED interior lights aren't needed bu the lighting is so much brighter now. No need to redo the headliner when you can just rip it out. Anything involving a vehicle is a losing battle. Unless you are restoring a classic car you will likely never recoup what you spend. I just try to enjoy my jeep and make it do the things I want to do with it better and safer.

(I'd like a winch at some point to.)
JeepN4KC likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 12:21 PM
75SV1

There are some other options on E-Bay for bumpers. There are few in PA. I did get a Logan's Front bumper, hidden winch. I am happy with it. I think there is one or two up in Michigan. And some people have as much in their lifts as the vehicle is worth. Welcome to the Jeep World.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-22-2019, 08:27 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a JCR bumper, and it only uses the 8 stock bumper bolts on the rear cross member. This is not enough support to prevent the bumper from flexing and denting the tailgate, not enough support to perform any recovery, off-road or on road, and not strong enough to do any towing. I solved this by purchasing DirtBound bumper supports that install inside the frame rails and uses the same bolt holes as a class III receiver hitch.

JeepN4KC and shooptube like this.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-24-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Now that's the type of information I am looking for.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 11:16 PM
DasXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
What bumper did you end up going with? I'm late to the party here, but there is a pretty good install/review video on YouTube from Trail Recon on the Smittybuilt XRC bumper w/ tire carrier installed on a 1999 XJ. I like that they include everything (integrated frame rail/bumper mounts, quarter panel armor). All JCR stuff looks awesome but there seems to be an abundance of cheaper alternatives for XJs.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-21-2020, 11:31 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasXJ View Post
What bumper did you end up going with? I'm late to the party here, but there is a pretty good install/review video on YouTube from Trail Recon on the Smittybuilt XRC bumper w/ tire carrier installed on a 1999 XJ. I like that they include everything (integrated frame rail/bumper mounts, quarter panel armor). All JCR stuff looks awesome but there seems to be an abundance of cheaper alternatives for XJs.
Hasn't China spread enough crap to other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in