Should I buy a XJ?!? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 56 Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 PM
BlueBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
What about highway MPG? With everything running well can I get 17MPG going 70MPH with 33x10.5s? What gearing do the 97-99s usually come with?
I have a '92 with a 3" lift, 3.55-1, trimming and 33-12.5's. I get just above 18 mpg hwy while running about 65. but I also have the ax-15 5 speed. D30hp and D35. Never had any axle issues with moderate wheeling, picking good line and trying to make my right foot play nice with the skinny peddle.

I know you said you don't want to do an axle swap. But if some day you decide to. A ford 8.8 out of an explorer goes in with little work. Stronger then all the XJ axles. And you can get them with disc brakes, gear ratios choices out the butt and limited slip and posi tracks are very easy to find. Most of the v8 options had those. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I'm willing to wait it out, but, I've seen V8 WJs for the same money as XJs. Is there any other good places to look other than Craigslist?

2013 FR-S
post #48 of 56 Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM
rebelbowtie

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
I'm willing to wait it out, but, I've seen V8 WJs for the same money as XJs. Is there any other good places to look other than Craigslist?
I use autotempest.com for finding used cars.

He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.

post #49 of 56 Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Humm thats weird. I got my XJ already lifted with a busted T/C (NP242) for $750 and repaired it for $100 and changed all the fluids including diff and have a little over $1000 put into it.

You should be able to get a good deal on one if you open yourself up to one that needs minor repairs and spend your extra money on mods and stuff..

My 98 XJ "Zap" Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
post #50 of 56 Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerzap View Post
Humm thats weird. I got my XJ already lifted with a busted T/C (NP242) for $750 and repaired it for $100 and changed all the fluids including diff and have a little over $1000 put into it.

You should be able to get a good deal on one if you open yourself up to one that needs minor repairs and spend your extra money on mods and stuff..
I would buy one that needs some minor stuff, but nothing major like blown tranny or bottom end motor work, or a ton of small problems that will all add up.

2013 FR-S
post #51 of 56 Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I would buy one that needs some minor stuff, but nothing major like blown tranny or bottom end motor work, or a ton of small problems that will all add up.
Makes sense. Mine had a messed up T/C, and the exhaust was unhooked but that was it and the TC was easy to replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 56 Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

Quote:
WJs don't hold resale value. We don't even put them on the lot anymore at work, we send em to wholesale and I've seen us put 99-01 XJs with low miles on them on the lot for $10k+ and have them sit there less than a day.

Since cash for clunkers XJ prices have gone way up, esp mint condition ones or low mileage. Demand for them is still useage but supply is way down.

As for where to look, Cherokee Forums classifieds always have stuff on them. I got my current XJ on there for $400 a couple months ago.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #53 of 56 Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 PM
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Most people don't really want a V8 WJ. There is a reason why they don't hold their value very well.

They have the 4.7L OHC V8 which is failure-prone and costs much more than the 4.0L I6 or older 5.2L/5.9L V8 to maintain and repair. Add to this the weak transmissions on the WJ; 42RLE on the I6 and 45RFE/5-45RFE on the V8 (the 45RFE/545RFE aren't terrible behind a 6-cyl such as the early Liberties but don't belong behind a V8). If you want a V8, a ZJ with the 5.2L/5.9L V8 and 46RH/46RE (truck transmission) is a far better bet. Of course it is hard to beat the simplicity of an XJ. Any GrandGherokee is likely going to have more problems and be more difficult to work on since they are a more modern and complex design.
post #54 of 56 Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Most people don't really want a V8 WJ. There is a reason why they don't hold their value very well.

They have the 4.7L OHC V8 which is failure-prone and costs much more than the 4.0L I6 or older 5.2L/5.9L V8 to maintain and repair. Add to this the weak transmissions on the WJ; 42RLE on the I6 and 45RFE/5-45RFE on the V8 (the 45RFE/545RFE aren't terrible behind a 6-cyl such as the early Liberties but don't belong behind a V8). If you want a V8, a ZJ with the 5.2L/5.9L V8 and 46RH/46RE (truck transmission) is a far better bet. Of course it is hard to beat the simplicity of an XJ. Any GrandGherokee is likely going to have more problems and be more difficult to work on since they are a more modern and complex design.
I dont agree with the 4.7 thing. I have a dodge dakota with that and ive never had a problem with it. Lots of power, good gas mileage, and reliable.

post #55 of 56 Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerzap View Post
I dont agree with the 4.7 thing. I have a dodge dakota with that and ive never had a problem with it. Lots of power, good gas mileage, and reliable.
It's largely a matter of luck with the 4.7. The 4.7 is known for all kinds of problems. It has thin cylinder walls that are known for cracking, oil sludge issues, overheating and cracked head issues, timing system issues, PCV /oil foam issues, etc.

Many of these issues come on as a result of lack of / improper maintenance, which of course is a major risk with a used vehicle. Like the 0331 head issues on the 00-01 4.0, not all 4.7s will have these issues and proper maintenance significantly reduces the risk but I would be very hesitant to buy any used vehicle with the 4.7 unless it had a full maintenance history.
post #56 of 56 Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I owned a 4.7 and it was great. I bought it with 60K miles and never had a single issue until I sold it around 120K miles, but IMO that's not really that high of millage either.

2013 FR-S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in