"replace engine" - is shop opinion legit? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-05-2021, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
1neuron
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj "replace engine" - is shop opinion legit?

99xj 4.0 is misfiring, took it to a shop. They say:

Found code p0301 misfire cylinder #1. When looking on actual misfire counter #1 cylinder keeps misfiring to 92 counts consistently. Inspected cap, wires and rotor. Wires appear new. Cap appears new. Removed cap and inspected all contact points but mainly focusing on #1 contact. All fairly clean. Inspected spark plus. All appear new. #1 had browning from misfire. Swapped #1 with #2 no change. Dead misfire on #1. Listened to all injectors with stethoscope. All injectors audible sound the same when comparing to each other.

Compression test results. Cyl#1 = 170 cyl#2= 170 cyl#3= 165 cyl#4 = 170 cyl#5 = 140 cyl#6 =110. Cylinder leak down Indicates exhaust valves are leaking. Upon further inspection found cracked exhaust manifold at collector and also exhaust leak Exhaust manifold where it meets to the head. More than likely the air leak from the exhaust causing the valves to be burned. Due to the condition of the engine block I would recommend replacing whole engine assembly as well as a new exhaust manifold. There is an updated manifold with flex unions to prevent it from cracking down the road.......... also found vacuum storage tank for HVAC module and cruise control missing.

They suggest replacing the whole engine for ~$7500. Fellow jeepers, is this necessary? I love this XJ, but that's a lot of $$.

Plus, seems to me that there are a few oddities - first, if misfire is on cylinder 1, why is cylinder 6 the one with compression issues? Also, why couldn't one just replace the header and exhaust manifold? Why the whole engine block?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-13-2021, 08:22 PM
lafd04
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like issues with the engine sure so if you like the jeep and its in good shape a motor swap could be in order. The motor price though. Looking quick at reman engines I saw between 1800-2800 less shipping. In my area a good running 4.0 can be had for 400 or so and will probably include a spare transmission. I thought about 3 grand for a rebuilt engine so hes charging 4500 for labor? Id be either looking for another opinion or FB for someone working out of they're garage if you don't want to swap a motor yourself.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-14-2021, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
1neuron
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafd04 View Post
Sounds like issues with the engine sure so if you like the jeep and its in good shape a motor swap could be in order. The motor price though. Looking quick at reman engines I saw between 1800-2800 less shipping. In my area a good running 4.0 can be had for 400 or so and will probably include a spare transmission. I thought about 3 grand for a rebuilt engine so hes charging 4500 for labor? Id be either looking for another opinion or FB for someone working out of they're garage if you don't want to swap a motor yourself.
Thanks, much appreciated! They'd found a replacement engine for ~ $1800, so the labor's even more. I'll solicit some 2nd opinions elsewhere.

Last edited by 1neuron; 06-14-2021 at 12:47 PM. Reason: more details added

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in