Redzj goes Redxj Build Thread - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-19-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Redzj goes Redxj Build Thread

I use to wheel the hell out of a 96 zj 3.5 on 35s. Got rid of it when I moved. Started to miss being offroad, and the Hyundai just wasn't making it as far offroad as I wanted to be.

Got a good deal on a 96 XJ 4.5 on 35s. Only has two spots of rust, which will be fixed in the coming months. This RIG is going to be 100% offroad use. But needs to stay road legal to get to wheeling spots.

Plans are 5.5 with long arms, staying with 35s. Keeping HP30 front and putting a ford 8.8 rear in. Going to be getting a cage and exo done when time allows.

The ad.
Quote:
This has been sitting in my driveway for too long, time to move on...
96 4.0 auto 231 case @160k miles
D30 8.25 3.55s
RE 4.5" front coils
RC adjustable lowers
RE fixed uppers
Bastard pack rear springs and shackle
35x12.5x15 BFG mud terrains with full spare
15x8 black rockcrawler rims
Iron rock hack and tap with XJ front shaft in rear
Lots of trimming
Longer brake lines
Longer shocks
Front frame reinforcement plates
Custom front bumper, winch mount in progress
Curt rear hitch
Etc....
Took it out wheeling yesterday to see what needs work. All worked pretty well, only complaint would be a clunking noise. I think its the control arms, which are getting replaced anyways so not worried about that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-19-2015, 09:37 AM
DNFJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a good starting spot. Subbed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 XJ Locked on 35s

Previous:
'00 TJ 2" on 33" Grabbers
'00 XJ 6.5" on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2" on 31" Baja Claws
'93 ZJ - Stock, Totaled
post #3 of 13 Old 07-23-2015, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Went wheeling last night with a few JKs and LJs. God I wish I bought a JK instead.

Realized a few things that need to be changed:
  • Need more lift. Going with 1-2 inches more. Will most likely do acos up front and full leaf 5.5 in the rear.
  • Need bump stops. Ate the hell out of my fenders. But only on extreme flex.
  • Need gears. 4.10s. I had a hard time getting up hills. (pedal on the right fixed that when I was balls to the walls)

That's all for now.

Only picture I got, was a little bumpy and dark.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-23-2015, 09:32 AM
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

cheapest used JK's around here start in the mid $20,000. your XJ didn't cost more than what? $5000 max? To me that's $20,000 worth of money to mod and fix your XJ, vs $0 to mod and fix a JK.

89 Cherokee

post #5 of 13 Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
cheapest used JK's around here start in the mid $20,000. your XJ didn't cost more than what? $5000 max? To me that's $20,000 worth of money to mod and fix your XJ, vs $0 to mod and fix a JK.
Im aware of the money issues. Nothing to do with the price, or modifications that have to be done. They are just so nice when done right.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-10-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Starter Failed today. Going to be picking one up after work so I can get home.

Within the next week I will be ordering 4 KM2s and dirt bound offroad conversion fans. (jeep doesn't like idling and slow speeds)

Also ordered the mean green high output alternator.

Only thing I am debating is which long arm kit I want.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-30-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
starter was replaced today.. Still having issues starting. Guess ill be replacing more stuff now.

post #8 of 13 Old 10-11-2015, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Went wheeling the other night. Everything on the jeep works just about perfect. Need to get longer shocks to get more drop.

post #9 of 13 Old 10-20-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Went out exploring with my friend. Good time. Water pump is shot.

post #10 of 13 Old 01-02-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Ordered my water pump to fix over heating problems.
Also going with a 3 electrical fan set up.
Ordered 4 35 MTR
Going to do all the steering stuff. Mainly upgrading and replacing what ever doesn't get upgraded. Some stuff I have (IRO).
---
Hopefully this will fix all my problems I have been having. Going to be a busy month to make this a fun year. Photos of all progress will be posted all things come in and get installed.
--

Only problem I have been having is that sometimes it just doesn't want to start. Takes a few minutes of cranking before she turns over. All cables are good with good connections. Normally after warm up. (if anyone has any idea, please share)

post #11 of 13 Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Jeep was going to Globex in toms river for tires mounting... and it wouldnt stay running. I would have to rev it to keep it going. Ended up just asking my brother to tow it for me. Now its there problem

post #12 of 13 Old 01-19-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
New Water pump. The one that 4 wheel parts sent me didnt work so I had to install an oem one. Also had my new tires put on.

Next week will have my NSS installed, and maybe some steering upgrades.

post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
This whole jeep thing is no fun. Ha.

Currently working on relocating/replacing the Ignition Coil and installing a new one as well. Reason for doing so? I don't feel like reinstalling it in that tight spot. I believe this will solve my starting issues.. we shall see.

While doing this, I will be removing all the A/C components, as I don't really use A/c and it doesn't work.

Money is tight this month, so not really sure what else I will be doing. Hopefully have it up and running by next weekend so I can wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in