My 89 XJ Overland Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 77 Old 07-26-2021, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
curtis2010
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Rough Country Seat Cover Install...

I bought RC seat covers which are specified as fitting the 89 XJ and technically they do, but...its just not a matter of slipping them on and there are no instructions included so I will document the process here.

The problem on the 89 era XJ is that the upper seat cushion has a flap that extends down behind the lower cushion and is secured in place. This covers the gap between the upper and lower cushions where the RC covers are designed to pass thru. So, in order to install the RC covers you need to move this flap (actually 2, front and rear) out of the way. To do that, you must remove the lower cushion to access the metal pin that secures the front flap.

First, remove the seat from the vehicle. Its only 4 nuts to remove it and you will be very glad you did, it will be MUCH easier to complete this job.

Next, remove the lower seat cushion. Its secured by 4 bolts that pass thru the metal seat base.

Then, remove the long metal pin that secures the front lower flap of the upper seat cushion to the metal seat base. To do this, push the pin off of the metal tab in the center of the metal seat base. A flat head screw driver works well for this. Tool box note: I have a couple of old "sacrificial" screwdrivers in my tool box just for tasks like this so I don't screw up my good screw drivers. Fold the flap over and push it up inside the upper cushion. The rear flap is just secured with elastic straps, disconnect, fold it over, and push it up inside the upper seat cushion too.

Install the seat cover over the upper cushion. Pass the cloth flap on the bottom front of the cover underneath the upper cushion and secure to Velcro strip built into the seat cover. Note that the seat cover does not fit super precisely, there is some slop to the fit.

Now is a good time to do some rust busting on your seat frame before reinstalling the lower cushion. I cleaned it up with a wire brush and sprayed on a coat of black paint to prevent more corrosion.

Install the seat cover on the lower cushion. This is pretty obvious so I wont detail that part here. Tuck the excess securing strap material under the seat cover and re-install the lower cushion.

Done. The fit is not perfect, but they look pretty good. The upper seat cover has a large pocket built into the back which is handy.

Link to pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9koluhl0j...bFCAxeFBa?dl=0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 77 Old 09-08-2021, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
curtis2010
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Minor final body work completed in preparation for fender flares install and then painting.

New front bumper and winch installed.

Some notes on the RC Bumper install:

The driver's side mount plate uses the same bolts that mount the steering gear. This is not explicitly mentioned in the instructions.

A heavy tapered alignment tool would be very handy for shifting the bumper into position over the mount plate holes. I didn't have one, but a short piece of rebar did the trick.

The install can be accomplished with standard hand tools, but a low profile air/battery driven socket wrench would be much more convenient and way quicker. Especially for securing the bumper to mount plate bolts. Several of these bolts are far inside the front of the bumper and very inconvenient to access.

For the most forward of the bumper to mount plate bolts I found it easier to insert them starting from the outside of the bumper/mount plate junction (this is the end facing the tapered outer end of bumper).

When drilling the holes for the mount plate on the passenger side it is a challenge to get the holes started with a standard length drill bit because it makes the drill/drill bit assembly too long to fit straight under the fender well. A stubby bit or and 90 degree adapter would solve this problem. Also, its safer to use a drill with a ratcheting chuck for this as a jammed bit on a non-ratcheting chuck with your hands and drill in a confined space with sharp edges is not a good combination.

The above mounting holes are drilled all the way thru the frame (both sides). This is not explicitly stated in the instructions, but long bolts are provided to pass thru with width of the frame.

I had to reuse one of the original bumper bracket bolts on each side to fit a welded in nut in the frame because no bolt that would fit was provided in the kit.

There are a bunch of extra fasteners included in the kit. Its best to review the parts list and understand which are used for what before hand.

Its best to have a helper for handling the bumper, its heavy and large enough to be awkward to handle...dropping it on your foot would do some damage. My lower back was complaining a little after doing this install single-handed.

Overall I am pleased with bumper. Quality of build is good. The mount plates extend onto the frame for more strength. And fitment is good. Aside from drilling two holes in the frame it is all just a bolt on job.

The downside to installing a beast of a bumper like this one is that if you hit something hard with it...that good old unibody frame is almost certainly going to bend before this bumper does!

Enviado desde mi SM-J600G mediante Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in