Minor Accident, Fix it or Nah? - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 09-13-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
fastblack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Minor Accident, Fix it or Nah?

The kid was driving my Jeep to school yesterday. When he was leaving another kid t-boned him right in the driverís door. Everyone is okay. The other kid was in a car so the damage is on the lower doors and rocker for the most part. Must have hit it hard enough to bust one of the passenger ball joints though. They were on my to do list though as I knew their time was soon.
The other kid was driving a friendís car so Iím guessing nobody is going to want to get insurance involved. I havenít seen the other car though. I talked to the father and he was going to talk to the ownerís parents and get back to me.
Anyway, I had been toying with the idea of selling this Jeep and buying either a truck or a full size SUV and now this. Iím guessing the other parents will just pay out of pocket but do I fix it or use the money for a truck and keep the XJ around for parts for my TJ?
Just wanted opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w6pea and slickrock steve like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-13-2019, 11:36 PM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Take the money to fix it. Then part it out.
Or,
Take the money to fix it, Then sell it as is, to someone who wants a wheeler vehicle.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 AM
75SV1

Looks kind of minor. I'd take the money. Buy a matching door. Maybe pull and pound back the present rocker panel. If everything else is OK. Then sell it or drive it.

post #4 of 24 Old 09-17-2019, 06:52 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblack View Post
and keep the XJ around for parts for my TJ?
Just wanted opinions.
Your TJ doesn't want any of those parts. Get all the money you can out of the parents, leave it as is and make the kid that hit it, drive it until he learns how to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 24 Old 09-20-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
fastblack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Your TJ doesn't want any of those parts. Get all the money you can out of the parents, leave it as is and make the kid that hit it, drive it until he learns how to drive.

Lol, I kinda want the rims on the TJ to be honest. Waiting on an estimate but it sounds like at least $3k in damage if not more. Iíd be happy with $2k, thatís what I could sell it for. After that, still not sure what Iím going to do.

post #6 of 24 Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Assuming insurance is involved, if the damage exceeds the book value of the XJ it will get tagged as totalled. It would then have to be fixed and pass inspection to be able to be licensed again.

D3<!L!>3D
post #7 of 24 Old 09-23-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
fastblack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Assuming insurance is involved, if the damage exceeds the book value of the XJ it will get tagged as totalled. It would then have to be fixed and pass inspection to be able to be licensed again.

Doesnít sound like anyone wants insurance involved but yeah, you are correct. I would be getting screwed if it goes through insurance; I would get a minimal check and then have to buy it back from the insurance company. No inspections in Iowa FYI.
Estimate came back at $2600 so it is totaled for what itís worth. Hoping the parents of the other driver will be logical about this. Video footage matched exactly what my kid said happened.

post #8 of 24 Old 10-23-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
fastblack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well this story sure took a turn. Parents of the other driver offered to ďget me a doorĒ even though the damage was much more than that. Then they tried to say my kid ran into theirs even though it was very clear from the video that was not the case.
Anywho, insurance had to get involved and unfortunately that means the parents of the kid whose car was involved had to file the claim. Theyíre being pretty good about it though so thatís nice.
Since it was on school property a ďpoliceĒ report was not filed but an ďaccidentĒ report was filed with the DOT.
At the end of the day insurance will end up totaling the Jeep and Iíll get some money. Weíll see how much it would cost me to buy it back. I can use some parts for my TJ and then maybe sell it for parts or project to someone, weíll see.

post #9 of 24 Old 10-24-2019, 08:13 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
You might want to find similar XJ's on Craigslist or "Bring A Trailer" and other places. At least then, you will know what "Fair Market Value" is, as opposed to what the insurance company is going to offer you. If they low ball you, ask the insurance company to buy you a similar XJ for the price they are offering you.
slickrock steve likes this.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-25-2019, 10:53 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblack View Post
Well this story sure took a turn. Parents of the other driver offered to “get me a door” even though the damage was much more than that. Then they tried to say my kid ran into theirs even though it was very clear from the video that was not the case.
Anywho, insurance had to get involved and unfortunately that means the parents of the kid whose car was involved had to file the claim. They’re being pretty good about it though so that’s nice.
Since it was on school property a “police” report was not filed but an “accident” report was filed with the DOT.
At the end of the day insurance will end up totaling the Jeep and I’ll get some money. We’ll see how much it would cost me to buy it back. I can use some parts for my TJ and then maybe sell it for parts or project to someone, we’ll see.

The sucky part is the value is under $1000. Been there, done that. Where I live you'd be lucky to get $500 out of the deal and there's little to no parts that any TJ guy would want. Front axle for $100. Done. Junkyard typically gives you $250-300 and hauls it away for you.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
post #11 of 24 Old 10-25-2019, 11:03 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
You might want to find similar XJ's on Craigslist or "Bring A Trailer" and other places. At least then, you will know what "Fair Market Value" is, as opposed to what the insurance company is going to offer you. If they low ball you, ask the insurance company to buy you a similar XJ for the price they are offering you.
FAIR MARKET VALUE is next to nothing for an XJ. Dinosaur eggs and moon rocks are free now too.

p.s. I do have an 8 track tape and a VHS tape player on Ebay I plan to get $1000 each for. What to buy them with a wrecked XJ for $2000 delivered?

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-25-2019, 03:35 PM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The turn screwed you.

I was going to suggest to take the money, remove the inner door panel, pop that out best you can and fix the ball joints. Boom done.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-25-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
fastblack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yeah, I realize Iím gonna get hosed on this deal. Itís unfortunate but short of taking them to small claims court thereís not much I can do.
I really want the rims for my TJ but the TJ has 35ís on it now so a quick swap would not work. Iíve already taken the radio out and a couple other interior parts that I can make work on the TJ.
If I can get $1000 out of them Iíll call it a win I guess. The kid feels terrible about it but weíve moved on and we all know it wasnít his fault, we were even joking about it the other night.
Iíll update this thread with what comes of it. The adjuster is apparently on vacation now so itís been delayed a bit.

post #14 of 24 Old 10-25-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
fastblack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashDN View Post
The turn screwed you.

I was going to suggest to take the money, remove the inner door panel, pop that out best you can and fix the ball joints. Boom done.

The ball joint is the only thing keeping it from driving, and that didnít even stop me from driving it to the body shop. Itís not exactly water tight anymore and who knows if itís tracking down the road straight but it will drive.
Who knows, if I somehow end up with it maybe Iíll keep it around for a future project.

post #15 of 24 Old 10-25-2019, 04:53 PM
dcoop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My daughters 99 cherokee just got totaled (not her fault)and I thought I wouldn't get much back for it. I bought it back from insurance company for 530.00 and still had double left over than what I paid for it. They said it couldn't be fixed. I said challenge accepted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in