Looking at buying a tow rig. Diesel advice - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 55 Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thats what I was thinking too, I remember looking at a manual gauge and I believe it went up to 30 as well. Now will that kit that I linked to have all the sending units that I need to hook it up?

Stupid question probably but since my truck has the tow package, it automatically comes with a tranny cooler and oil cooler correct? Finally, if my truck was an HO motor would it say HO on the valve cover or is it based off of transmission type? I haven't been able to find any information on that

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 PM
TJJP77

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyohn View Post
Thats what I was thinking too, I remember looking at a manual gauge and I believe it went up to 30 as well. Now will that kit that I linked to have all the sending units that I need to hook it up?

Stupid question probably but since my truck has the tow package, it automatically comes with a tranny cooler and oil cooler correct? Finally, if my truck was an HO motor would it say HO on the valve cover or is it based off of transmission type? I haven't been able to find any information on that
Generally speaking, most gauges come with the various senders needed to hook them up - the challenge will be if any adapters are needed for a clean install.

Your truck may already have an auxiliary cooler (in addition to the one built into the bottom of the radiator), it should be easy to spot the connections coming out of the radiator and of course the cooler itself mounted in front of the radiator. If this is the case, obviously skip an add on cooler and go for a deep trans pan with a drain plug, such as the MAG-HYTEC model or similar - in fact, I think that trans pan can be ordered with an optional trans temp sensor hole pre-drilled/threaded, so that would save some time.

As far as the HO thing, IIRC in 2001 the only way to get an HO engine was coupled with the 6-speed manual - the automatic (Model 47RE) wasn't capable of handling the power of the HO engine. There should be a label on the side of your valve cover that states the rated HP, I think in 2001 California certified engines were rated at 215 HP and the rest (for non-CA states) were rated at 235 HP. The manual only HO engine was rated at 245 HP.

Chris
'02 Sahara
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
post #48 of 55 Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

thanks chris, I wasn't quite sure about the HO thing or not. So it definitely isnt an HO. As for the coolers, there is one in front of the trans as well as one below the radiator if i remember correctly.

Will a deep trans pan add a considerable amount of life to the tranny? So with a deep pan, cooler, and the gauge on it will the tranny last?

3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 55 Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 PM
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Truck! I have pretty much the same truck, 2001 2500 4x4, I got a bd x-monitor for the guages, and a mag-hytec deep trans pan so far, not really going to go any further, maybe upgrade the lift pump. I got great mileage with 35"s but when I switched to 37"s it went down considerably, next set of tires will be 35"s again unless I find a hp dana 60 and regear. Congrats! I will never own any diesel but a Cummins! edit: and painting the camper shell, got it and a carpet kit for $250 off craigslist

Blah blah blah blah.

my Jeepspeed build thread:

post #50 of 55 Old 03-11-2010, 09:25 PM
TJJP77

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks chris, I wasn't quite sure about the HO thing or not. So it definitely isnt an HO. As for the coolers, there is one in front of the trans as well as one below the radiator if i remember correctly.

Will a deep trans pan add a considerable amount of life to the tranny? So with a deep pan, cooler, and the gauge on it will the tranny last?
Well, no automatic trans will last as long as a well cared for engine, that's for sure - it eventually will fail, the big unknown is "when"?

Adding a deep pan (and therefore more fluid) will help it run cooler under load, and that is always good.

The other issue that kills transmissions is the basic shift strategy used on modern vehicles designed to produce "smoother" shifts. This is achieved by stretching out the shift process and using lower line pressure so that the shift isn't as firm/harsh. This generates heat, and the slower/smoother engagement of the clutches is hard on the friction material and mating surfaces. To address this, I'd add a shift kit (I'm sure Trans-Go makes one for this trans) and use the parts/intstructions in the kit for Street/RV/Tow (or whatever they are calling the basic upgrade). This will increase line pressure, make the shifts much firmer/faster and help stop unnecessary wear on the clutches, as well as reduce heat. (FYI - most trans shift kits include parts to modify the trans for street/tow use and race use...sometimes they may refer to it as "stage 1, stage 2" and so on..obviously you don't need the race parts, so just do the basic street/stage 1 upgrade.)

While none of this will guarantee the trans will last forever, it will certainly make it last longer than it otherwise would have.

Chris
'02 Sahara
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
post #51 of 55 Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 PM
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have heard great things about Goerand Brothers transmissions, maybe one day
Goerend Transmission Incorporated

Blah blah blah blah.

my Jeepspeed build thread:

post #52 of 55 Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM
YJSXJ

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Here are some new pics of it after I washed it up this afternoon.

the only thing your truck is missing is :
Stacks,
chip
and a smoke switch. the Smoke switch works wonders btw. Did it on mine. it's awesome, but not so much for the tree huggers

looking for 33x12.5x18 tires.

Bruiser -- 93 XJ Sport. 9.5" lift on 35"" Claws, Locked front & Rear, and some other crap. Rolled it
Cruiser -- 1998 XJ Classic. 3" RC lift. 32" Kuhmo Ventures. Sold it
1999 WJ Limited V8. 4" Mix-n-Match Lift. Nothing special.
post #53 of 55 Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

This thingis definitely not getting stacks lol

It may get a chip later down the road, but I'm not a fan of the black smoke

3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

post #54 of 55 Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice choice! A year and half ago I bought a 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel myself. Love it!

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website -

post #55 of 55 Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Eric! So far I love this thing. Great fuel mileage (in comparison to the jeep) and I can actually haul stuff in the bed. Which even just owning this thing for less than a week, I have noticed has come in extremely handy. I think I made a good choice

3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Tags
diesel , dodge , tow rig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in