10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 09-01-2020, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
The Freemanche

Starting a build thread to log the progress in this Jeep. I spotted it sitting in the woods in someoneís yard just over 2 weeks ago. I stopped by and knocked on the door, and learned that the Jeep has been sitting about 10 years. No one had touched it. Keys were still in the ignition and weeds growing out of the bed. This is how I found it.

The Jeep is a 1988 Comanche Eliminator with a Renix 4.0 and BA 10/5 trans, 2wd with dana 35 rear, short bed, bucket seats, manual windows, factory roll bar. Pretty much all original truck with 189k miles on it. We exchanged info and I stopped back in a few days later with a weed wacker and some tools to take a closer look. The owner ended up saying if I could get off the property, I could have the Jeep. I went back the next day with a trailer and hauled it home. It came with a stack of paperwork and the title from when she bought it new in 1988, itís a true one owner Comanche.

First up was a good power washing. Jeep was covered in moss and the bed full of dirt and stone. Even power washed the interior, it was pretty gross and the Jeep was full of mice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-01-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
After cleaning up the Jeep, I determined that it turned over, but was not getting fuel. First step was to drop the fuel tank. I found it full of rust and about 6 gallons of 10 year old gas. For those wondering, the gas was still very flammable, but the fuel pump was rusted and anything rubber was basically melted. In the process of cleaning out the fuel tank, I unfortunately popped a hole in it, so I decided to just buy a new one along with a rebuild kit for the sending unit, including a fuel pump, gaskets, hose, and new wiring connections. I was able to clean up the metal cage and sending unit pretty well before installing the new parts.

Sending unit before

vs after

After reinstalling, the Jeep actually fired right up after only a couple tries. After running a few minutes I had to shut down due to the nuts sitting on the intake manifold almost catching on fire. This prompted more cleaning. I also learned while it was running that the clutch was stuck. This turned into a project for the next day.

2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 09-01-2020, 01:16 PM
Rospaw

Great find!!! I am also a backyard/flat tires kinda door knocker type. Never hurts to ask. Again, great find and make sure to take it by the lady when your done with it. Lots of folks have a soft spot for cars they owned.
RedJeepster1 and underscore like this.

post #4 of 33 Old 09-01-2020, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
To catch us up to this week, I got the clutch freed up on Sunday by rolling the Jeep down to the street, starting it, rolling it forward and popping it in gear, and then driving it around with the clutch pushed in until it broke free. It really didnít take long. With it broken loose, the clutch works well. I have front brakes, no tears due to a broken brake line. Exhaust doesnít have any leaks. Fuel tank and sending unit seem to be working well and not leaking. Transmission shifts through the gears well. Today I changed the oil and am working on a list of parts I need to order to service the brakes and do a tune up on the engine. Iím really only working on this an hour here and there when I have time, but Iím enjoying tinkering with it. Itís a cool old Jeep, and Iím happy to be the one to save it from rotting away in someoneís yard or getting sent to the scrap yard.

post #5 of 33 Old 09-01-2020, 01:36 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Well there's a surprise; excellent! Please ignore recent post in the other thread.

Just out of curiosity, did you find out why it'd just been parked up all those years ago?
post #6 of 33 Old 09-01-2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXJ View Post
Well there's a surprise; excellent! Please ignore recent post in the other thread.

Just out of curiosity, did you find out why it'd just been parked up all those years ago?

The Jeep was purchased new by a newly married couple in 88. Unfortunately the husband got sick and ended up passing away in 2013. He was the last one to drive the Jeep a few years before he passed away. The wife lives just a few miles from me and actually stopped by to see the Jeep all cleaned up this weekend. She is pretty excited to see it coming back to life.

TheBoogieman and shooptube like this.

post #7 of 33 Old 09-02-2020, 01:14 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
The Jeep was purchased new by a newly married couple in 88. Unfortunately the husband got sick and ended up passing away in 2013. He was the last one to drive the Jeep a few years before he passed away. The wife lives just a few miles from me and actually stopped by to see the Jeep all cleaned up this weekend. She is pretty excited to see it coming back to life.
Bet she was.
Sentimental stuff and all.
post #8 of 33 Old 09-02-2020, 01:23 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Bet she was.
Sentimental stuff and all.
I can think of a few reasons why she might not be but it's interesting (& can be useful) to have some of history of a newly acquired vehicle - &, rather to my surprise, I found it was a rather nice backstory. Certainly beats a whole stack of bills & inspection certificates - BUT the future beckons . . .
post #9 of 33 Old 09-02-2020, 02:45 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nice find, short bed 2wd 5 speed, Eliminator
There was a series that raced those trucks back in the day, they would bump draft on the straights.

Good times, See the link

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motors...sition-mayhem/

Whats over that next ridge?
post #10 of 33 Old 09-02-2020, 03:03 PM
antcrawler

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I am so jealous, this is so cool!

"I pretty much like anything if it has 4WD"
-Me, before I bought a 2WD XJ
post #11 of 33 Old 09-02-2020, 09:09 PM
shredthemesa

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
nice to see you bringing this thing back. its a cool find
post #12 of 33 Old 09-03-2020, 03:43 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
She is pretty excited to see it coming back to life.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #13 of 33 Old 09-04-2020, 02:34 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I knew there'd be interest, that's why I suggested this thread.
post #14 of 33 Old 09-08-2020, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Tune up and a new serpentine belt this weekend. Drove it around a little. Throwout bearing is going out. Motor is making a little noise but nothing horrible. The throwout bearing got bad real quick, so Iíll probably park the Jeep until after my wedding next month. This will be more of a slow long term build for sure. But the Jeep itself isnít going anywhere. Also used it to move around some mulch and garden tools. Just enjoying tinkering with it and learning more about it.

TheBoogieman likes this.

post #15 of 33 Old 09-08-2020, 02:35 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Good it's started to earn its keep already.

Never noticed the missing grille before - perhaps 'cos, I think, this is the 1st view of the front we've seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in